What happened when you first landed on the Mun?

rhj91

My first landing went something like this:

Hmmm, it seems to be hard to kill my horizontal velocity, I'll just drop down vertically :D

Right, the landing legs have a crash resistance of 12, so I need to land at 10-ish m/s

Careful, careful (I spent 20mins burning at 10% thrust, keeping my speed less then 25 m/s at 15km :confused:)

and TOUCHDOWN, and the capsule fell of

I was still very ecstatic

My first landing went something like this:

Hmmm, it seems to be hard to kill my horizontal velocity, I'll just drop down vertically :D

Right, the landing legs have a crash resistance of 12, so I need to land at 10-ish m/s

Careful, careful (I spent 20mins burning at 10% thrust, keeping my speed less then 25 m/s at 15km :confused:)

and TOUCHDOWN, and the capsule fell of

I was still very ecstatic

Same, haha, I landed and my pod just popped off. Raaaahhhhhhhhh

Landed OK, used Damned Robotics to transform lander into rover, rolled around for a while, planted a flag, and decided to go home. Then I ran out of fuel in a most inconvenient, highly inclined, very eccentric retrograde orbit. So my 1st Mun landing resulted in my 1st rescue mission, which entailed my 1st rendezvous under challenging circumstances.

My first true landing was with a craft I called Munstrosity. It was way over built for the Mun. I tried it without MJ and came in with some horizontal. Hit, started to tip hard, throttled up, counter turned, kill thrust, hit again with still H velocity, tipped and spun (wrong key), throttled up again, counter turned, lowered thrust, came in hit, bounced and settled down. Jeb was pleased, I was trying to recover from a heart attack. LOL!

I think I had recorded that. I'll check.

Edited by BostLabs

Managed to touchdown nicely after quick loading on flipping my first try, think I managed to get the hang of landing it, nice smooth landing, 1 kerbal on board, now gotta get him back after some other stupid deisgn flaws I have put into the mission.

I lost half the engines and one of the landing legs on my capsule. But the pilot survived.

This was my first successful landing.

Google's spell check thing wants me to make that "unsuccessful".

Google, where's your kerbal spirit?

My first landing was only back in 0.19. I landed safely a few kilometers from on of the arches and put Bill outside in an EVA suit to explore. It was quite a long hike by foot but he made it. After an equally long hike back to the lander, he and Bob took off in the upper stage of their lander. Unfortunately, I lost track of my proper trajectory orientation on the way up to orbit. They ended up in a low but stable, highly inclined orbit around the Mün and awaited rescue. I quickly kludged together a rescue mission - a 1 Kebal capsule with a hitchhiker can underneath and plenty of fuel in the upper stage to rendezvous with the lander. Rendezvous was accomplished and a pair of nail-biting EVAs conducted to get Bill and Bob into the hitchhiker can for the ride home. All was going well until landing. The crack design team neglected to include landing legs or, frankly, enough parachutes. Landing was hard, the hitchhiker can exploded, and all that effort was for naught as Bill and Bob bought the proverbial Korn and Kow farm in the sky ... *sniff sniff* Fortunately, in a parallel universe, kerbals learned from this mistake and have never tried to land a hitchhiker can again.

First time I landed on the Mun was in 0.17 , the hardest landing ever ( back in 0.17, yep ) and so much to learn, I remember landing @ 9 m/s and getting my landing on the engine with only 2 landing legs ( after the 2 broke )

and I jumped, smashed the keyboard with my head , ate the mouse blew the speaker ( don't be serious.. xD )

but seriously I was very happy!

My First time actually succeeding in landing... I looked at the bottom of my craft, looking at the teeny, tiny space between the engines and the ground that had been left, and marveling that the AV-R8s actually DID work as landing legs.

There were a few prior attempts where I failed at landing, either because I came in too hard and blew up, or because I tipped it over on the surface (though I did get a couple of those home anyway).

Other than that...well, it was pretty much a case of 'This place sucks, I'm going home'. The 0.13.3 demo didn't have EVAs, let alone wheels, and plugins didn't work in it, so once I was landed there was literally nothing else to do but go back. And nowhere else to go either; it didn't even have Minmus, let alone any of the other planets.

So I bought the game, decided that having landed on the mun with no landing legs and completely stock was plenty of justification for being lazy and letting mechjeb do the flying from then on (at least until my first trip to duna, as it didn't have interplanetary yet, so I used the protractor mod instead. Badly. Lucky I had a ton of excess fuel or I'd've never gotten there).

Edited by Tiron

I managed my first Mun landing without the aid of MechJeb, (the entire mission, for which I'm proud). I had to carry a lot of extra fuel to correct for my frequent oopsies, but I did it! I had already heard of various interesting sites on the Mun to visit, so I put my craft in a very low orbit around the Mun, and spent quite a bit of time studying the landscape for these sites. I found a twinkly 'thing' in a large crater, and decided to try for that. I missed it by a couple dozen kilometers, ruined my lander, (I forgot to put the landing legs down....though even if I had remembered, my lateral velocity would have tipped my lander over anyway). My Kerbalnauts survived though, so I count that as a success.

Sadly, I never went back to rescue them, and I'm sure by now their supply of sandwiches is running dangerously low.

I did finally manage to land manually at the twinkly thing, (the Neil Armstrong Memorial), and later discovered an arch, and landed there too.

My first time landing on Mun was a lithobreaking, then I lost a couple of crews in Kerbin orbit after trying to get them home. It was also the first time I've successfuly completed "docking", way before 0.14.

Lithobraking is the most efficient form of braking known to Kerbal-kind. Jeb swears by it. Or at it. Frequently.

The landing itself was completely successful.

However, the landing was pretty much permanent, as I didn't have enough fuel to get back off the Mun...

Isn't that the standard for KSP firsts?

My Mun landings are all still there. I was going to rescue them, but I got distracted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.