[Abandoned] LightSwitch Interface

Razchek

New video:

(also updated initial post)

Progress is coming along slowly but surely. :) Still no release yet.

This will be my largest project for KSP I think. So I will try to get it right before I release the alpha candidate. :P

I have several other projects that will come to light soon as well. ;) Stay tuned!

New video:
(also updated initial post)

Progress is coming along slowly but surely. :) Still no release yet.

This will be my largest project for KSP I think. So I will try to get it right before I release the alpha candidate. :P

I have several other projects that will come to light soon as well. ;) Stay tuned!

Very nice! I predict a lot of kerbals having movie night on remote planets.

Very nice! Do you have any details worked out for plugin integration? Are you planning on making your plugin a hard dependency? Will you make use of existing KSP mechanisms (events, actions, config nodes, etc)? Something else entirely?

Very nice! Do you have any details worked out for plugin integration? Are you planning on making your plugin a hard dependency? Will you make use of existing KSP mechanisms (events, actions, config nodes, etc)? Something else entirely?

'KSPEvent's are what I'm using at the moment.

I've yet to decide if that's the way to go (I may use .net reflection), but KSPEvent does have an existing framework and it works.. so maybe I'll keep it like that. :)

I do not want to have this plugin as a referenced assembly, hopefully it will remain that way. :D

Edit:

- I'll upload another video today or tomorrow to show the features I missed. I also fixed the in-game video playback to show appropriate aspect ratio. "Wide-screen for Kerbals!" :cool:

Edited by Razchek

Here is the video I said I would post showing off the event-trigger feature.

I think a release candidate is very soon to follow, only a few more things to touch up before the alpha release.

Info about the video in-scene:

- Resolution: 1280 x 720 @ 6 mb/s (OGG/Theora Codec)

- Audio: 128 kb/s Stereo @ 44.1 khz (OGG/Vorbis Codec)

- Duration: 8 seconds~

- File size: 1,886 KB

As per a restriction in unity, any videos will need to use the OGG (Theora/Vorbis) format.

I used VLC to convert the mp4's I originally created. On the plus side VLC can play the movies back too. (don't worry, my default media player is MPC-HC <3)

--

Oh and sorry for my horrible "event" innovation and bad word-scripting. I'm a software developer, so naturally my voice acting skills are awful. :P

AND yes, there are generators on the stranded vehicle - that's beyond the point of the video. >_>

Edited by Razchek

You should add some integration into the Mission Controller plugin for storyline purposes. Have a short little video clip to play before each mission/on mission success. (I volunteer to do the videos since someone will ask) Also I just release the Heat 1X with the reflective shader. I need to tweak it a bit to make it look more realistic but for now I think it looks amazing. You can check it out here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36838-Blazing-Aerospace-Copenhagen-Suborbitals-Version-0-2. Thanks for the great plugin

You should add some integration into the Mission Controller plugin for storyline purposes. Have a short little video clip to play before each mission/on mission success. (I volunteer to do the videos since someone will ask) Also I just release the Heat 1X with the reflective shader. I need to tweak it a bit to make it look more realistic but for now I think it looks amazing. You can check it out here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36838-Blazing-Aerospace-Copenhagen-Suborbitals-Version-0-2. Thanks for the great plugin

I like that idea, but I think I'll let the dev's of Mission Controller implement that (if they decide to).

The extension support is there, so any plugin developer will be able to 'extend' onto this plugin.

This is just awesome! Can't wait to use it.

What about a YouTube function? :P

That would be nice, but I don't think that it would be wise for me to put this in the initial scope of this project. Maybe in the future.

It involves having to process with a native library and wrapper to decode and encode it back into unity.

DirectShow .net has a good implementation for the playback which means I could definitely do it at some point.

Buffering the video into memory locally to place it on textures.. Regardless video rendering can be expensive, the delay to receive video from a source like youtube could take 10+ seconds after the initial stream buffer.

If no one takes up the job down the track and there's enough demand for it then maybe. :)

So, for the moment unity only supports ogg theora during runtime.

Incredible work.

Suggestion:

I'd like to see a graphic representation of the vessel, with data points on the parts such as temp, stress, and color changes on areas that may or will fail. Would be great to have master caution alerts / event sounds on prompts (like an alarm and visual cue when parts are high-stress for long-duration)

I'd like to see a graphic representation of the vessel, with data points on the parts such as temp, stress, and color changes on areas that may or will fail. Would be great to have master caution alerts / event sounds on prompts (like an alarm and visual cue when parts are high-stress for long-duration)

If I don't do it (something I would like to do after the project is released) I'm sure someone else will. They are good ideas. :)

I can think of two ways to get it working:

1. Duplicate all parts (maybe filtering would be involved to save on resources) and scale a physics'-less copy (since little cpu would be used it would not induce much of a performance hit).

2. Create a 2d image for each part that would be shown (even more performance friendly, but tedious for the obvious reasons).

This is the last video update to come until the release of the plugin (less than 72 hours and counting).

I want to have it ready for the weekend. Here's hoping. ;)

Be aware that it will be very buggy, and this is to be expected - I have noted all bugs I know of and will actively fix them as I implement new features.
There will be some that I miss as well, which is why I would really love to have everyone who's interested have a play around with the new part in game and give me feedback.

I've listed some known bugs in the source code but most of the bugs are listed on my to-do list in another application (I work on a lot of projects, this helps me prioritize which bugs need attention).
The source code will be available upon alpha release of course. I'm sure some other developers are going to like to see how everything is implemented to help further their own projects.

The potential of this project is broad and I hope to see a lot of people and other modders going all in.

Some additional notes to add here:
- KSPEvent, KSPField & KSPAction are used to interact with other mods attached to the same vessel. Modders do not need to do a thing for simple integration other than good naming conventions.
A field is accessed via the class name and the field name. An event is found only by the method name (good idea to prefix your methods to keep them unique). I may go less KSP and more Reflection later to make this the same as KSPField interaction. KSPAction works the same as KSPEvent.

You can use KSPEvent & KSPAction with collider events at this stage.

Ohh there's so much to write, but that can wait until the first test release. :) I'm sure you're all looking forward to it!

--- Video Notes ---
Display on the interface in order from top to bottom.
1. Title (slightly mis-positioned due to size, noted to fix before release 0.01a)
2. The Status field from the Kethane Extractor you see behind the interface. Prefixed with "Drill Status:"
3. Deploy Drill linked to KSPEvent attributed method "DeployDrill" on the Kethane Extractor.
3. Retract Drill linked to the KSPEvent attributed method "RetractDrill" on the Kethane Extractor.
5 & 6. Some empty space.
7. Kethane resource (Current Amount / Maximum Amount)
8. Vessel position (Latitude, Longitude).
9. All science readouts. (all four are active, temp, grav, acceleration, barometer)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.