Copenhagen Suborbitals Discussion

None taken, and remember this is only the first version of the suit.

But a question, why do you assume that the space suit made by NASA is safer than ours?. Remember that the Challenger accident was something NASA was warned about, that it was not a technical issue but a organizational issue ie. to much red tape. With our organization, we have 2 guys who are building it and testing it, their own lives depend on its functionality.

No insult intended and I humbly apologize if any was taken from what I was saying, you all are doing amazing things, things far beyond my abilities.

My intent with saying "on a budget" was to mean, less budget than that of a superpower nation. I'm sure everything you are doing is taken with the utmost of care, but even still my own fears I wouldn't get in that suit, looks less refined than what I've seen of the apollo project. That's just me, I'm a timid thing.

Other people are more like Jeb :)

Add that technology get cheaper over time, the nuclear bomb was far more expensive than the Apollo project on the percentage of GNP basis still North Korea has managed to get one 60 years later.

Wow. Had no idea people were doing this sort of thing. You guys are true pioneers!

I'm curious; I would think that permits and licensing and so forth to launch rockets into sub-orbital trajectories are a real problem?

Nope thats the great thing of launching from water. We dont need any permissions. Yes we do work with the different parts of official organizations such as the Danish coast guard, and with the Air traffic control, but they cant tell us not to.

We are launching east of the danish island Bornholm, in international waters, and as such Danish law has no jurisdiction over us.

Huh, that's actually bloody brilliant - launch on the open ocean, away from pesky national boundaries and political nonsense.

There's even a whole bunch of pre-built launch pads hanging around, if you look in the right places - oil rigs are usually just left to rust after they cease to be of commercial value.

Either way, two thumbs up for what you guys are doing - this is the future of space travel right here, in private hands rather than bloated national agencies.

There are as far as I recall 3 pages in all. I will ask Cameron for the whole list if you want to read it.

Yeah if it's not too much trouble I'd like to read the whole thing :)

But uh, testing the aerodynamics?!? Are you planning to jump out the capsule at apogee?

Edited by cypher_00

No but in case we have problems we need to be able to do an emergency egrees...fast...

This was to test if the suit is stable, and if the pilot should be face up or face down in free fall, and also how fast he can get out of the capsule.

Ok so its an emergency plan to get out of capsule if problems during decent.

Should have tested with parachute backpack who is an kind of requirements for bailout outside of the pad.

I'm sure everything you are doing is taken with the utmost of care, but even still my own fears I wouldn't get in that suit, looks less refined than what I've seen of the apollo project. That's just me, I'm a timid thing.

Have you seen some of the early NASA prototypes!?!?!!

• 3 weeks later...

Things are beginning to take shape.....Alot bigger shapes. We started building on the HEAT 1600. Below are some pictures of the LOX tank. The LOX tank will hold 6000 liters.

_MG_9157_1.JPG

_MG_9236.JPG

_MG_9176%2520copy.JPG

_MG_9170.JPG

Also to save time we made some adjustments to the HEAT2-X and downsized it a bit ;-) Now we are able to launch very soon with Peter as passenger.

_MG_9246.JPG

_MG_9248.JPG

As always there are more pictures at our picasa page.

Edited by Copenhagen_Suborbitals

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.