[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

SolarLiner/HyperEdit v1.3, I'm learning more and understanding the code a little better now. Let's you and I hammer out a solid plan for what to include in the next version. I can meet you on IRC #kspmodders. A more intuitive interface should be at the top of our list, I think.

Might have seen this a bit late, but anyway I'm there.

I think the DMS conversion is well within our ability, but I'd like to include both options. The coords system actually makes some sense when you take out the SI Metric multiplier suffixes, which I think are throwing a lot of users. Those SI suffixes may be more trouble than they're worth.

True. I always disliked SI suffixes, and I simply removed them to the code (or at least my working copy). :D

For the DMS versus degrees stuff, actually what I did is create a "Coordinates" data type which handles, well, coords. I wrote that based on MJ (once again !) class with the same name. By default everything is handled by angle style (one double value, things simpler). And I added two new properties, "DMSlat" and "DMSlong", which returns DMS version of the angles.

But that's a bit of a problem, because for an obscure reason only the Degrees part of the DMS is taken in account when entered into HyperEdit's Lander. Weird. (or me making huge mistakes and I can't see them. Maybe this option is better)

But most importantly, and I see this throughout the plugin, we need to make things more user-friendly. If a value the user entered is being changed in the code - like reverting to a minimum or maximum, or whatever - it should warn the user and possibly offer options, as I believe this is where a lot of confusion arises. I realize this makes for more complex code, but I think it's worth the effort to provide a truly professional grade product.

This will not be my cup of tea - I hardly does things pretty and user-friendly. My GUIs are either simple with few buttons and text boxes, or are completely messy when it comes to big, compact gui vith alot of controls. But that's for the "what-the-user-sees". Under the box, I can make things behaving user-friendlyly(?), if I know what it have to do to behave.

Anyway, the most either loved or hated mod is under heavy development, and is widely open to users' suggestions !

Finally, I got around to updating our website with Forecaster's new design and graphics. It's not really done yet, and may never be, but it's pretty close, and looks much better. Thanks to Forecaster for the artwork, and helping me to use it.

www.Kerbaltek.com

Edited by Ezriilc
Updated with new link.

I've updated and uploaded HyperEdit to version 1.2.3, with the F11 hotkey removed as promised, and using the new KSPAddon attribute instead of UnityTest. This version tested well on Windows Vista 32, with KSP 0.21.1.

As always, please report any problems and feedback, here or on our site.

Note: There is no need to update to this version, unless you're having problems, and/or require the F11 key for other uses. Version 1.2.2 should still work fine, even on KSP v0.21.1.

Here's a suggestion: Hay, I would like to run quick "drop tests" for my glider aircraft from for example 5000m, and I thought that hyperedit would help, but it actually doesn't.

If I go to "land" and place a height of 5000m, the plane is in the air and falls slowly to the ground like a feather until it reaches the ground an hour later, not what I want..

If I go to "orbit" and put it on a 5000m, first it is moving at an orbital speed, and on the other hand, it is not over KSP but who knows where... not what I want

I don't need a LAND and I don't need an ORBIT, I need AIR! It would be nice if there even was a way to "unfeather" the landing helper if you put it high up in the air. =)

This won't only help glider aircraft but also parachute test, or plane landing practice runs =)

Here's a suggestion: Hay, I would like to run quick "drop tests" for my glider aircraft from for example 5000m, and I thought that hyperedit would help, but it actually doesn't.

If I go to "land" and place a height of 5000m, the plane is in the air and falls slowly to the ground like a feather until it reaches the ground an hour later, not what I want..

If I go to "orbit" and put it on a 5000m, first it is moving at an orbital speed, and on the other hand, it is not over KSP but who knows where... not what I want

I don't need a LAND and I don't need an ORBIT, I need AIR! It would be nice if there even was a way to "unfeather" the landing helper if you put it high up in the air. =)

This won't only help glider aircraft but also parachute test, or plane landing practice runs =)

Just glancing at the code, I think this can be done by adding a new button called DropMe and changing the ChangeWorldVelocity to a real world drop. It's just a quick look at the code.

Just click "Land" a second time to release it to gravity. You won't have forward motion, but you will have physics so if you nose over you should be able to get airborne. I intend to clarify how this works in the future, by having the "Land" button change to show "Release ship" or something.

Does that do what you need?

Just click "Land" a second time to release it to gravity. You won't have forward motion, but you will have physics so if you nose over you should be able to get airborne. I intend to clarify how this works in the future, by having the "Land" button change to show "Release ship" or something.

Does that do what you need?

Ah thanks! Yes, that is exactly what I needed. I tried many things, but apparently I never tried clicking one more time xD You should absolutely change button to show "release ship"!

I tried to get my Minmus satellite orbits perfect with hyperedit but I seem to have mucked them up instead. I can't get it to align the inclination properly with Minmus, I wrote down all the numbers for the sat before moving it but putting them back into the complex page doesn't put it back where it was.

Anyone have experience to share on getting Minmus orbits right?

I learned something new today!

No way! I knew something?! Woot! :cool:

I tried to get my Minmus satellite orbits perfect with hyperedit but I seem to have mucked them up instead. I can't get it to align the inclination properly with Minmus, I wrote down all the numbers for the sat before moving it but putting them back into the complex page doesn't put it back where it was.

Anyone have experience to share on getting Minmus orbits right?

I've found some errors in the way HyperEdit calculates current position regarding the Landing tool, but I haven't investigated yet, and I don't know if it's related to what you're experiencing.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Complex Orbit Editor, and I'm still learning all the finer details of orbital mechanics, so I'm not much help there.

This has been so very useful for testing my rover skycrane, thanks!

That's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post. I fell in love with HyperEdit for moving my water craft to the beach from the runway, and I admit to a bit of cheat-exploring of Kerbin's surface. Since it seems you use HyperEdit a lot, feel free to offer any suggestions or other feedback you may have.

Wow, look at all those ribbons. :0.0:

BTW, I've started re-posting copies of my favorite ship .craft files on our site, under "Downloads". My latest ship is called "Leviathan". It's a jet, SRB, and liquid hybrid, with interplanetary orbiter, and a heavy lander on top. The orbiter-lander combo is a 4-way module that can be assembled into larger ships of infinite size. All in all, it's a very efficient ship, that performs quite well for many different tasks. A kind of SUV - Space Utility Vehicle.

If anyone would like to share what you're working on, I'd love to see them. I'm working on a website interface for sharing and displaying stuff like .craft files, screenshots and whatnot. Until I get it perfected, just copy/paste the text of your .craft file into our Contact form.

I can't get the edit orbit window to show up in the hyper edit main window, I can only get the ship landing window and the close tabs window. I am running .21.0 as .21.1 is too laggy for me to use.

Edit: HyperEdit 1.2.3 (the latest) works fine on both KSP 0.21.0 and 0.21.1.

I see no reason why KSP 0.21.1 should be any more laggy than 0.21.0. Updating is always very important.

As always...:

• Make sure you have the right versions to work together.
  • Download fresh copies of everything.
  • Do a fresh install of KSP without any plugins.
  • Test KSP. If not working, there's something wrong with your PC.
  • Install HyperEdit per instructions - unzip to your KSP root folder, next to KSP.exe.
  • Test KSP.
  • Report back here.

Edited by Ezriilc

I've done a test with HyperEdit 1.2.3 (the latest) on KSP 0.20.0, and it's fine. The "Edit an orbit" button opens the "Orbit editor" window, and I'm able to set my orbit to any body in the system.

Since I can't duplicate your issue, I'm stumped. Hopefully, your testing will tell us more.

I see no reason why KSP 0.21.1 should be any more laggy than 0.21.0. Updating is always very important.

Having said that, I did seem to notice more frequent crashes after this update, but that's just my subjective experience, and it may not be related.

For some reason, using 0.21.1, using the latest version, Alt+H doesn't bring it up. Perhaps the ship is too laggy? Idk. I used the previous version with the F11 key, and it worked. But not the alt+H.

Perhaps. Depending on where you have the slider for MAX_PHYSICS_DT_PER_FRAME, it may take a moment to register the keystroke. The lower that number is, the less likely it will miss the press.

EDIT: Oh, and I did experience lag in that way, I just held the Alt and h keys for a few milliseconds longer.

I removed F11 because some others use it for Fraps and whatnot, but v1.2.2 still has it and that should work fine for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I did seem to notice more frequent crashes after this update, but that's just my subjective experience, and it may not be related.

The scene loading times are too much for me to bother playing. the transitions from VAB to SPH to Space Center Runway and the launchpad were far too long for me to bear.

The scene loading times are too much for me to bother playing. the transitions from VAB to SPH to Space Center Runway and the launchpad were far too long for me to bear.

Weird, for a keystroke removal... Can't take my hands on the code now, but ASAP I will go and cleanup the thing.

Another thing is the DMS mode Lander. I see weird problems with it and I didn't expect it to be that hard for a simple number conversion. I'll dive deep down and see what black magic occurs there.

Weird, for a keystroke removal... Can't take my hands on the code now, but ASAP I will go and cleanup the thing.

Another thing is the DMS mode Lander. I see weird problems with it and I didn't expect it to be that hard for a simple number conversion. I'll dive deep down and see what black magic occurs there.

I'm not sure what you're on about, partner, but scene loading times have nothing to do with HyperEdit. :P My fault for going off-topic.

That's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post. I fell in love with HyperEdit for moving my water craft to the beach from the runway, and I admit to a bit of cheat-exploring of Kerbin's surface. Since it seems you use HyperEdit a lot, feel free to offer any suggestions or other feedback you may have.

I use Hyperedit extensively for testing craft without mucking about with launching them and/or flying them to the target destination. (That way when I fly the real one for the ribbon, I have confidence it will work.) The only real suggestion I have is an easier/clearer way to set inclination. (I am testing my Duna lander and tanker system, and want to use an inclined orbit to reach more of the surface w/o tons of fuel eating plane changes. It was very tedious to slide the slider trying to hit the right inclination.)

I use Hyperedit extensively for testing craft without mucking about with launching them and/or flying them to the target destination. (That way when I fly the real one for the ribbon, I have confidence it will work.) The only real suggestion I have is an easier/clearer way to set inclination. (I am testing my Duna lander and tanker system, and want to use an inclined orbit to reach more of the surface w/o tons of fuel eating plane changes. It was very tedious to slide the slider trying to hit the right inclination.)

"Easier/clearer" is definitely the buzz-phrase for HyperEdit, once I get myself up to speed programming-wise. It's on my list.

I'm pleased to announce that Payo has joined Team HyperEdit, and contributed their own mod of HyperEdit that adds the ability to edit the parameters of a planet, such as gravity and atmosphere. They've also agreed to give me some tips in C#, so we may be looking at major improvements to HyperEdit soon.

For now, we have Payo's new Planet Editor to add, and I also planned to remove the Si unit suffixes completely. Upon testing, number input boxes are far less complicated and certainly easier to understand without them, so I see no reason to keep them in. I may re-add something similar in future for certain things, but not in the form it was. I've also made some minor changes to the interface to correct some spelling errors and make things generally more clear and tidy.

If anyone has any feedback on these proposed changes, please let me know ASAP, as I'll be updating the plugin in the next few days.

Big thanks again to Payo - welcome to the team!

As always, you'll find the latest version of HyperEdit on our website.

www.Kerbaltek.com

Thanks go out to SolarLiner for the tip in removing the Si units, and of course to our newest member of Team HyperEdit, Payo. [fist bump]

An exciting day! It fills me with the urge to blow something up.

See you in orbit!

:cool:

Edited by Ezriilc
Updated link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.