Miserable and Stuck!

cjcafiero

Hey guys...I thought this looked like a lot of fun & bought a copy.

Still looks like fun but I'm miserable with it, I literally can't figure a thing out in it...and yes I've read through wiki's and hints till my eyes glaze over...it just doesn't make ANY sense to me, can't load a ship that flies, can't take off, nothing...really disappointed. Everything I've read about how to get started just seems to assume I know stuff about the game that's a complete mystery to me...

Is there some Moron's guide to this that will talk me through? I'd love to fly :-(

To help new players, I made a guide to the navball instrument here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30238-How-to-Read-the-Navball a guide to reaching orbit and a ship you can download to fly it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25008-How-to-reach-orbit-and-a-rocket-that-can-do-it-a-walkthrough-for-newbies and a couple of easy-to-fly airplanes which you can download here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25413-Trainer-and-Example-Aircraft-for-Newbie-Pilots Do those look helpful?

I'm going to assume you don't know the controls so.

SHIFT= throttle up X=cut throttle

LEFT CTRL= throttle down T= SAS (must have SAS module installed)

W= pitch down R= RCS (must have RCS blocks and fuel installed)

S= pitch up

A= turn left For a full list of controls look in the settings menu.

D=turn right

Q=rotate left

E=rotate right

SPACE= next stage

If you don't know. What I do to launch is throttle up, activate SAS, then hit SPACE. and if your rocket is not stupidly unstable.........YOUR GANA FLY!!

also YouTube is nice :D

Remember, you press shift until the left navball pointer is at 100, then hit space, but make sure you've staged properly, and don't forget to tilt 45 degrees when you hit 10000 meters, and remember to circularize because if you don't the Kraken will destroy Jool, and.... Welp, this game really is pretty complicated. Watch Scott Manley's basic tutorial if you haven't already.

If there's one overall tip I can give you that will be the most helpful is this: Build small. Smaller ships take less to move around and are more stable. You can start off with a one man pod, ASAS, small fuel tank, and one small engine. See where that gets you. Then add more slowly.

Vanamonde has posted some great resources, but if you still need more I made a simple tutorial for the complete build step by step, and the launch step by step to get a ship into orbit. I have lots of other tips in the video to share as well. Should get you well on your way to building awesome things! (The ship I build for the orbit tutorial video will escape kerbin if you launch straight up)

I'm not very experienced but i can say this- Make certain that you don't go too fast when climbing out of the atmosphere.

You can see how many G's you're at just to the right of the navball. Keep the indicatorneedle in the upper green area. Saves you loads of fuel.

Hey guys...I thought this looked like a lot of fun & bought a copy.

Still looks like fun but I'm miserable with it, I literally can't figure a thing out in it...and yes I've read through wiki's and hints till my eyes glaze over...it just doesn't make ANY sense to me, can't load a ship that flies, can't take off, nothing...really disappointed. Everything I've read about how to get started just seems to assume I know stuff about the game that's a complete mystery to me...

Is there some Moron's guide to this that will talk me through? I'd love to fly :-(

Have you gone through the in-game tutorials?

I haven't played too much, but I can say that once you get into the game, you'll wonder how it confused you in the first place. It's 90% common sense, just gotta get that 10% of actual game knowledge first.

Kerbal SPace Program 101:
This is Scott Manley's "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Kerbal Space Program"
It is a little bit out of date but everything that it covers is still relevant to being able to build, launch, and recover etc your vehicles.

After that, I recommend the next video for Mun missions:

Hope this helps!