[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Hi, me again.

I still can't attach my welded parts to other parts. Only the center of my welded parts want to attach. Are there plans to get it working in the future?

Here's an example what i want to do:

JBKiTdZ.gif

I get this same thing with every part I weld. Part clip does not work. I have a noes cone with a few things on top of it. The nose cone will not attach to the fuel probe.

~edit~

If you select the part you welded first THEN choose your probe to control it that works. You have to choose the welded part first.

And now all of my parts just fall off of my welded area on my rocket. RCS thrusters, solar panels, the engines... the launching stabalizers don't even attach onto the welded part anymore. It seems like the larger the welded object the less stuff wants to stick.

Edited by Lexar

Ow well... I made a big Crane and welded the mais chassis mainly beams. Everytime i send it to mimus it just explodes on time warp or simply disappears after loading... Second time it happens.. I cant finish my new mimus base.. can only think the reason for this is the welded part... Kind tired of ksp.. Cant make big stuff without crazy bugs to creeply in

Screen/log would help to know what is happening.

the equation for the drag coefficient of the parts is:

(mass1*max_drag1+mass2*max_drag2....) [divided by]

(mass1+mass2...)

and you include every part in the equation. hope this helps with the mod calculating the drag

source: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/5235-Atmospheric-drag/page5?p=88804&viewfull=1#post88804

Thanks for the info.

Hi, me again.

I still can't attach my welded parts to other parts. Only the center of my welded parts want to attach. Are there plans to get it working in the future?

Here's an example what i want to do:

I get this same thing with every part I weld. Part clip does not work. I have a noes cone with a few things on top of it. The nose cone will not attach to the fuel probe.

~edit~

If you select the part you welded first THEN choose your probe to control it that works. You have to choose the welded part first.

And now all of my parts just fall off of my welded area on my rocket. RCS thrusters, solar panels, the engines... the launching stabalizers don't even attach onto the welded part anymore. It seems like the larger the welded object the less stuff wants to stick.

I will see if I canfix something about it, can you pm me the cfg files that does not work please?

Undoubtedly a Kerbal/Unity bug related to the distance from the CoM or some such. With larger parts from addon packs such as B9 I noticed similar instabilities with part connections.

Good to know, I will still try to get some more testing done to see.

how do you go about creaing your collider mesh?

From what I read concavity isn't supported, and resuls in a defaul cube being used.

I do not know, I do not create any assets, I just merge the config file together.

You will have to browse the moddelling part of the forum for more tutorials.

Sure. It's a weird situation, the mouse still moves and some components of the GUI work (mouse over parts shows the information, you can switch tabs in the VAB, the kerbals are all moving in the background, etc). But you can't exit the VAB, can't add new parts, can't click on existing parts. It's like there is a dialog open off-screen waiting for input so nothing else will work.

If you click once outside KSP and back in, the game seems to be responsive again after the hangup.

Can you send me a screen and generated config file please?
Sorry for delay, I figured it out for myself... I don't know if I'm describing it right (different PC/Town can't look at the moment) but at the beginning of the created part file, it lists the objects and some form of data I forget... the only attachable nodes, belong to the final part in that list.

There seems to be no logical categorization/order (its not in the order placed during creation)... but changing whatever object I want to be the parent (and only part with usable nodes) to the last in the list solved my problem (at the time).

I have about 9 mods installed, so it might be a conflict with one of them... but I'll get more info when I get back to my PC.

You have saved many of us from lag, thanks, keep up the good work

Thanks I will. IRL should get a bit quieter soon so I will be able to work a bit more on it

Sorry for delay, I figured it out for myself... I don't know if I'm describing it right (different PC/Town can't look at the moment) but at the beginning of the created part file, it lists the objects and some form of data I forget... the only attachable nodes, belong to the final part in that list.

There seems to be no logical categorization/order (its not in the order placed during creation)... but changing whatever object I want to be the parent (and only part with usable nodes) to the last in the list solved my problem (at the time).

I have about 9 mods installed, so it might be a conflict with one of them... but I'll get more info when I get back to my PC.

The order, they are written, is the order they are stored in the tree (in the code). Usualy the first part will be the root of the asembly you have dragged and several data will that that value (surfce attachement etc..)

I guess it was already mentioned, but I wanted to report it anyway:

I welded one 2m-Probecore, 2 big gray tanks and a Mainsail together.

Ship spawns with 0/30 energy, although 30/30 is shown on the mouseover of the welded part in VAB.

Edit: Ah, known issue :D

But! ... CoM is completely off (Nosecone, SAS, 3x Big Grey Tank, Mainsail ... CoM is on the upper half of the lowest big grey tank).

Also, trying to use a welded part to weld something else to it (like, a welded rocket, put some rcs on it, weld it again) kind of... freezes the plugin. "weld it"-button stays clicked, no message, no weld-interface. Alt-tabbing solves the problem (rocket just normally "drag and drop").

Edit2: I love this mod :3

http://i.imm.io/1i8Y3.png (old)

vs

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/w1fton4z/KSP_LVII.png (new)

Is there a manual way to "copy" welded parts from Sandbox to Career (doesn't matter if they only show up after searching through the whole tree).

Edited by cy-one

I guess it was already mentioned, but I wanted to report it anyway:

I welded one 2m-Probecore, 2 big gray tanks and a Mainsail together.

Ship spawns with 0/30 energy, although 30/30 is shown on the mouseover of the welded part in VAB.

Edit: Ah, known issue :D

Exactly bug with ksp sadly. due to the Alternator module of the engine.

But! ... CoM is completely off (Nosecone, SAS, 3x Big Grey Tank, Mainsail ... CoM is on the upper half of the lowest big grey tank).

Thanks for the report, I have managed to trace where the bug come from, it come from the fact that the CoM is calculated from the empty mass value of the tanks, and not the full mass value.

Also, trying to use a welded part to weld something else to it (like, a welded rocket, put some rcs on it, weld it again) kind of... freezes the plugin. "weld it"-button stays clicked, no message, no weld-interface. Alt-tabbing solves the problem (rocket just normally "drag and drop").

A few people seems to have that freeze, I thought it could come from the database reloading, can you try to desactivate the database reloading (in the config file), and see if it happen again? it never happen to me.

Is there a manual way to "copy" welded parts from Sandbox to Career (doesn't matter if they only show up after searching through the whole tree).

in the part.cfg, change the techRequire value to the node you want.

Exactly bug with ksp sadly. due to the Alternator module of the engine.

Hmmm just took a peek, an engine has a resource section with 0/0 electricity while a probe (cube) has 10/10. I'll make a manually welded part later but unless the Alternator partmodule resets the electric charge to 0 or there is some conflict between Alternator and Command module (probe requires charge), the part should spawn with N/N, not 0/N electricity.

Could just be another KSP bug though, in my manual welding endeavors I've seen quite a lot of bugs (NaN power drain by wheels, parts frozen in time, duplicated docking ports, GUI glitches, etc). Might not be Unity-related but a lot of limitations are due to Unity, even the dev team made comments regarding problems caused by Unity. We don't have a 64-bit version of KSP and probably never will due to the 64-bit version of Unity having all kinds of extra weirdness. Makes me wonder whether Unity was such a good choice for a game engine.

Not sure why my earlier post fell off the forum, in any case I made a test engine with additional command module parameters. It had 0/N electric charge on the launch pad but as soon as I removed the Alternator it was showing N/N in the resources panel. Obviously a KSP bug.

Well it is known, and done by KSP (not unity). And it's on the known bug list.

I guess it is because the lternator automaticaly set the resource to 0 while it is not generating it.

I have looked at the bug when radially attaching parts, and not been able to attached the welded part to other parts. I kind of know why it is like that, but I can't figure a way to fix it in the code (I can manualy fix in the config file).

I have changed the GUI a bit to avoid that save button to be out of the screen, and I also have the RCS tested (it won't work well for rotation, but for translation it works like a charm). And a few bug fix (.22 models and others).

Hopefully I will release something soon, I want to have a bit more feature to it before I do that.

A question and a bug (maybe already reported :D)

Q: Do welded docking ports maintain their... "docking-ability"? Or would I have to add them past welding?

B: Tried to radially attach some welded struts... And while I "could" have done it, the behavior was really, really odd.

view from above:

O -

Where O is the stack I wanted to attach it to and - is the truss piece I welded. Fun fact: I tried to attach it to the _left_ side of that O, not on the right side... And it was quite far away, too. At least halfway to the VAB-Exit, if not more.

are there any plans to make this an in-game tool? :) it would certainly change how i play and could help with the lag! if we were able to choose which parts were welded to each other :)

Little did this person know that they would recommend the true plugin.

This plugin was a revolution for me. However, I ran into an issue - maybe.

I made a space station module with several docking ports (about 12). Cylindrical shape. The whole welded into one part (RCS outside due to that recently mentioned bug).

In both ends I have Sr. docking port. I could dock with one end, but now when I'm attempting to dock to the other one, I can't. It's attracting with magnets, but not actually connecting... Any tips?

A question and a bug (maybe already reported :D)

Q: Do welded docking ports maintain their... "docking-ability"? Or would I have to add them past welding?

B: Tried to radially attach some welded struts... And while I "could" have done it, the behavior was really, really odd.

view from above:

O -

Where O is the stack I wanted to attach it to and - is the truss piece I welded. Fun fact: I tried to attach it to the _left_ side of that O, not on the right side... And it was quite far away, too. At least halfway to the VAB-Exit, if not more.

For the first Question, I would not recommand ttaching both of them, also because the GUI doesn't tell you what port is what, and they are already buggy in stock (see the non undock / dock bug that have been around for a long time).

For the second one, there is a bug with welded part that have radially attached truss, where you can't stack them after, it is due to the fact that the node of the truss still exist since it is not connected with the node. I am trying to find way to fix it, but nothing at the moment.

Little did this person know that they would recommend the true plugin.

Ahah, there is a lot of those suggestion on the earlier posts, this is how I got motivated to give it a try.

This plugin was a revolution for me. However, I ran into an issue - maybe.

I made a space station module with several docking ports (about 12). Cylindrical shape. The whole welded into one part (RCS outside due to that recently mentioned bug).

In both ends I have Sr. docking port. I could dock with one end, but now when I'm attempting to dock to the other one, I can't. It's attracting with magnets, but not actually connecting... Any tips?

Docking port have some bugs already in the stock game,

try to see if you can undock the part that is already docked, and dock it to the other side. on the GUI check that you have only one undock option if you only have one port docked.

Else best way for them is still to put them after the weld. The weld is really efficient for tanks/structural, everything else is more of a hope it wont break.

But keep me updated, I will have a look too, and see if there is anything I can do about it.

Great answer.

Yeah well I suppoes it's something related to that it's one part.

Ah, and that's where the other bug comes in. Cause I did that too (weld before docking ports). When I tried to attach a port, I couldn't. I dunno if there was either no node or a tiny one, but I couldn't connect a Sr. port at the end of a large ASAS.

I'll try later today :)

Edit: Here's a picture of the situation:

mkyzut.jpg

The module to the right is the core module (1 welded part, + RCS). Then there's the first module I docked to it, to the left. I had it docked on the right side (I actually just flipped the core over rather than flying around it). As you might see, the ports are almost aligned. This is after maybe 15 seconds of fine tuning to make them connect. They do force towards each other, but they don't attach.

Anyway - I'll relaunch all modules with independent parts for docking ports :)

Edit 2: Temporary solution until I've launched the replacement core :)

10rk4ts.jpg

Edited by Gnipu

is the multiple modules (ex. multiple lights, wheels, etc) going to be fixed in the next version?

also, I can't seem to get my parts to attach any other way but radially, what am I doing wrong?

The first problem is a KSP bug/limitation, for the other you may wish to turn on part clipping in the debug menu.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of phantom part can bypass the issue with multiple modules, animations and more. A part that only has a mesh and colliders but when you mouse over the various sub-parts would allow you to access their individual context menus.

For example, you could weld multiple engines and the resulting part acts as one giant engine. But you could still lock the gimbals or disable specific engines which would then affect the center of thrust of the part as a whole.

i dont get it , why everyone wants to weld lights etc together. Welding is perfect for structural parts and not for cosmetic stuff, for stuff, that would otherwise fall apart.

Also in RL you dont weld lights to a structure^^

You also dont reduce the parts per ship that much , if you try to weld everything together. Even worse, the more you weld, the more parts you have in your game , game needs longer to load and at one point it will crash cause it runs out of memory.

You should use weld for parts, that you need often in exactly this configuration.

i dont get it , why everyone wants to weld lights etc together. Welding is perfect for structural parts and not for cosmetic stuff, for stuff, that would otherwise fall apart.

Also in RL you dont weld lights to a structure^^

You also dont reduce the parts per ship that much , if you try to weld everything together. Even worse, the more you weld, the more parts you have in your game , game needs longer to load and at one point it will crash cause it runs out of memory.

You should use weld for parts, that you need often in exactly this configuration.

this would be sound advice unless you're building grand space stations and ground bases that specifically require all these various functional "cosmetic" parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.