What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Goldeneye on N64. I was a student in a shared house. I'd get back from college, bang it on and as the 'dar da dumm dar da dumm' loading screen kicked in doors all over the house would open and within a minute the front room would be full of people desperate to shoot each other. At the time it was the best single player and the best multiplayer game of all time.

Cannon fodder on the commodore amiga. Amazing. 'War, never been so much fun, war, never been so much fun. Go to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his unifrom, dieing in the sun-nnn, war.'

Sensible world of soccer. Best.

Commando. Spectrum 48k.

Banjon kazzoie.

Diddy kong racing.

Soul calibre.

Golden axe.

F Zero x.

Ocarina of time and Majoras mask.

Perfect dark.

Time splitters 2.

Bomberman.

Mariokart.

Rainbow island

Oh god ive been gaming for far too long.

By hours of play, its Doom 2. By hours of play I didn't wish I could have spent better when I got older, Total Annihilation.

By genre:

RTS - Total Annihilation (with honorable mention Homeworld)

Shmup - Tyrian

FPS - Brute Force

platformer - Mega Man X4

RPG - Secret of Mana (Final Fantasy 6 is the front runner if you think SoM is too action-y to be a true RPG)

Edited by breakthrough
make it a little easier to read

Falcon 3.0

falcon-3-0_11.png

this is the game that got me into flight sims and computers. It ran in DOS on my 286

That was a classic, and yeah I remember my good old 286.. 4mhz beast of a machine..

if I wasn't playing Falcon 3.0, I was playing...

image.php?id=4DEE_52146489&jpg

My first flight sim was the subLOGIC Flight Simulator for the Apple II.

Sublogic_Flight_Simulator_II.png

It came with two manuals; the one devoted to "Flight Physics and Aircraft Control" wouldn't have been too out of place in a general flight training course.

This game was rather hard. A family friend who actually owned and flew a Cessna was, in fact, of the opinion that it was harder than real-life flying.

I spent a lot of hours on it anyway, especially in the WWI Ace battle game.

More accessible and fun (if rather less realistic) was F-15 Strike Eagle. (Good old Sid Meier again!) There were enough different keyboard controls that I played with a friend and we divided up tasks (just like in a real F-15E!).

Mine is definitely The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

EDIT: I also forgot Halo: Combat Evolved. Those two games were keeping me inside better than KSP ever could.

1627_large.jpeg

Ahhh yes Halo, I've only just started playing this year but it's already on my top 3 favorite games!

That was a classic, and yeah I remember my good old 286.. 4mhz beast of a machine..

if I wasn't playing Falcon 3.0, I was playing...

image.php?id=4DEE_52146489&jpg

So you enjoy flying games then? I like sci-fi games when I can shoot aliens!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.