What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Another one: Top Gear (SNES).

EDIT: And also by OP's definition of "old", I'm pretty sure this will qualify:

256px-The_Elder_Scrolls_IV_Oblivion_cover.png

I'm actually planning to install it again on my laptop, so yea... Will be away from KSP for a while for sure.

Now the real weird thing is that Oblivion is for 360 and PS3.

Anyway raises you with the previous game :)

Morrowind_days_by_SnowSkadi.jpg

So many to choose from.

Halo 2 (large protion of my youth dedicated to)

Morrowind (still the best elder scrolls in my opinion)

Dune 2 (the start of genre)

Total anihilation (first game with hundreds/thousands of units per team)

Xcom (the old one not the crummy remake with the exception of xenonauts)

Too many to choose from

A followup to my earlier post, where I mentioned Bungie's Marathon Trilogy. There are lots of good ones, several already mentioned in this thread. Here are more (if I didn't miss them mentioned earlier): the Journeyman Project and Clive Barker's Undying.

And another set of Bungie games: the Myth series and Oni. Actually this 10 minute video shows gameplay from 20 years of ALL Bungie's games, from perhaps unfamiliar to familiar:

Played the everloving hell out of the Descent series, and Descent 3 is by far the prettiest - excellent graphics for its day and it still holds up very well IMHO. Still plenty challenging on the game play front, too.

Descent 2 had the best weapons load out and cheats, though. I miss my bouncy missiles :/

=Smidge=

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see this thread still going. Some real oldies from me:

First ever computer game: Acquire for the TRS-80 Model I (was a conversion from the original AH Bookcase game, which I now own).

Favorite 'Very Old' strategy game: Planet Miners for the TRS-80 Model I/III (a cassette game, but we transferred it to floppy as it was in TRS-DOS BASIC). You can't even find references to this game anymore, very unfortunate. And at one point I was converting it for the Model III's Voice module. Closest I've seen to that game today would be 'Planet Interaction' and/or the Asteroid Mining in Eve Online.

Favorite 'Sim' Game: SimEarth. I still have the original disks someplace, would LOVE to see this revived. [second Place: SimCity 4, which I have both in normal and Steam format.]

Favorite Old 'Eye Candy' game: Rama (from Sierra). :0.0:

Longest 'Old' running game with a single save: Betrayal at Krondor. IIRC 4 years, 5 computers. :cool: I eventually gave up and edited the save (leveling took *forever*).

Most Frustrating, yet Beautiful game: Riven. 2nd Place for Myst III Exile (which was Win98 only, until recently).

Favorite Old Online Game: Uru Live, now known as Myst Online (iterations 4 & 5 IIRC). 10th anniversary of the original Ubisoft attempt is occurring right now. I started during the 'Accounting Error' on 1/1/04 and it was Shutdown on my birthday, six weeks later.

Favorite Old Pinball: Doctor Who, full stop. :cool: Played it when it came out.

I'll stop there for now. ;-)

• 1 month later...

I like good strategy games. There are 2 favorites:

UFO: Enemy Unknown. (X-COM: UFO Defense)

The fun part is that most remakes still aren't even nearly as good as the original.

(what I had on my first PC was actually a glitchy translation with broken difficulty curve, but I enjoyed it very much anyway. Several years ago I found the proper version and I still enjoy playing it sometimes).

Emperor: Battle for Dune.

250px-EmperorBoxshot.jpg

(actually, I even decided to make a

)

I really liked the good old Dune II, but this is the case when the last game in the series is my favorite. Unique playstyle of each House and maximum freedom of the global map is something very charming.

My favorite old game is Bungie's Marathon series (which consists of the official trilogy and many third party scenarios, maps and levels [they were fun to create and play]).

You are a security officer aboard the UESC Marathon colony ship. Are you the 10th Mjolnir Mark IV cyborg? You may well get answers to that question as you battle your way through the Marathon; alien ships, planet and moon. This FPS works on current Windows, Mac and Linux machines by using the Aleph One engine. The open source engine and the games are free, thanks to Bungie. You may get them here:

http://marathon.sourceforge.net

The site has a few pics.

Here's one from Bungie:

http://halo.bungie.net/images/Games/Marathon/Screenshots/MarathonInfinity/inf01.jpg

The graphics (resolution, etc.) have been improved in Aleph One over this old pic.

I just discovered this amazing trilogy myself and i have to say that whats even more entertaining than the gameplay is the story! It's really amazing and i would love for Bungie to reboot the series. Everyone should play this now that it is free and for all Operating systems!

I just discovered this amazing trilogy myself and i have to say that whats even more entertaining than the gameplay is the story! It's really amazing and i would love for Bungie to reboot the series. Everyone should play this now that it is free and for all Operating systems!

Rejoice Canopus! As a side effect of Activision's ongoing court battle with former Infinity Ward heads ... details of the company's deal with Bungie have been made public in documents posted by the LA Times. ... The contract also gives Bungie the freedom to put five percent of its staff to work on a prototype for a new game referred to as "Marathon" ...

As for the Trilogy story, Marathon's Story page has been going since 1995: hold off until you've played the full Trilogy, for there are spoilers for sure.

Indeed! Everyone who wants to, may play the games.

Edited by Dispatcher

dont much like the dune games. big fan of the books (at least the original 6), which is probibly why. i also dont like that they are all rts games. i kinda want a dune action game.

Played the everloving hell out of the Descent series, and Descent 3 is by far the prettiest - excellent graphics for its day and it still holds up very well IMHO. Still plenty challenging on the game play front, too.

Descent 2 had the best weapons load out and cheats, though. I miss my bouncy missiles :/

=Smidge=

i was a big descent fan way back when it came out, while everyone else was playing doom and quake, i was playing d1 and d2. i had a voodoo card so playing 3d accelerated descent 2 under dos was something to behold. i was working on a bunch of mods and levels for descent 2, but i lost those in a hard drive crash before i could release them.

i didnt really like descent 3 that much. there were several reasons for that. first off, i didnt find the graphics that much better than some of the other games i was playing at the time, quake 2 being one of them, the other being a descent knockoff called forsaken (which was a lot more fun, faster paced, had excellent graphics quality, while predating d3 by about a year). i also didnt like the execution of the flying outside the mine mechanic. your ship was just too damn slow to explore those areas. you could crack antigravity but you cant give the ship more thrust than what is safe to fly it underground. the last reason, freespace 2, which ultimately became one of my favorite games to play (and mod) came out just a few months later. i think i played all the way through the game just once before i shelved it. of course i came back to it a couple times, mostly for multiplayer, but i didnt have the patience to play through it again.

Edited by Nuke

So many, and most of them have already been mentioned: Civ II, Rome: Total War, MarioKart 64, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark... But a couple of others of my own:

64919_10150562519542030_1582802452_n.jpg

Still my favourite!

age-of-mythology_front.jpg

Just got back into this for a while before I bought KSP, it's aged very well!

Fallout 3 is 6 years old this year (although I much preferred New Vegas)

Fallout_3_cover_art.PNG

And, most importantly, the game that took up more of me and my brother's teenage years than anything else:

256px-Timesplitters2.JPG

b484c024e95d8f27d7b67e90e8018c189996acb6.jpg__620x  350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

And that soundtrack:

Edited by peadar1987

Mine's is F-22 Raptor, Aero Fighters Assault and Ace Combat(Air Combat).

Here's some old games you may like!

1. Tachyon The Fringe

1I8HdCI.jpg

Creepy cover art.

2. MiG 29 Fulcrum(1998 video game)

k20JPIG.png

Give me a MiG!

3. F-22 Lightning 3

U1Plk1u.jpg

Stealthy F-22 Air Dominance Fighter

4. Ace Combat 3

0xLRC3B.jpg

Cool!

5. Battlefield 2(KSP User's Favorite)

pS8Xnx2.jpg

EXCELLENT!

More games coming soon! Please check Next Time!

Edited by William Ly
Added Battlefield 2 [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pS8Xnx2.jpg[/IMG]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.