[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Just quick two questions :

1. Is there ( or will be ) a way to control jettison force for the fairings ? I'd like them not to explode into oblivion. :D

2. How does radius change work for the base? I tried holding R and moving mouse over the base part, nothing happened. :(

1: there is, press F while mousing over the fairing (not the base, but the actual shell) to cycle through the available options. They range from low (they barely float away) to high (nuclear bomb)

2: Make sure you have the latest version and make sure you do it all in the correct order:

- mouse over base

- press and hold R

- move the mouse

In fact, they are so pretty, that's the problem. Might I suggest making them more "Kerbal" in appearance? Make the textures a little rougher or dirty them up a bit? They are just so pretty, and smooth, and white.

I tried, but then found out stock part are much more dirty than I though :)

I wonder whether people will be okay with making them dirtier when I add better-looking KW-Rocketry-styled ones.

Ok. I'm trying out the fairings.

Good news, they work in 0.20. Yay!

Bad news, some parts stick out through the fairing (aka in the picture below, the bottom of the ladder, and the fins of the propeller:

2nhhw08.jpg

Here's it with the fairings on. I'm using the egg-shaped fairings:

14jpxde.jpg

Will this do anything to my cargo/rocket?

The ladders are ignored on purpose, they won't show as long as they are retracted.

The fins likely have no collision, so it doesn't detect them. You can adjust fairing radius if you don't like it, mouse over the base, hold R and move mouse to adjust.

Ah, neat. Thanks, dude. :)

Hmm. I must being doing something wrong. The fairings aren't separating when staged. They stay glued together. Perhaps another picture would help:

294m6ba.jpg

So as you see from my staging;

Stage 5: "Get off Kerbin and get to the planet" stage.

Stage 4: "Prep for landing approach" stage.

Stage 3: "Separate rocket from airship" stage. This is used when I hit 100m/s after aerobraking.

Stage 2: "Pop off fairings to reveal cargo" stage (not working)

Stage 1: "Remove rocket/fairing support truss" stage.

Stage 0: "Propeller on airship" stage.

I had Stage 3 and 2 together, and the fairings sat on the top of my airship, not popping off. So I'm utterly confused.

Edited by Benie
Another problem

Absolutely amazing and wonderful mod! I just tried it briefly but had no idea about the R keyboard shortcut to resize them. Maybe add that in a readme or something.

Do you make any other mods? With quality like this I'd love to see more content without downloading a parts pack! Great job and keep up the good work!

Ah, neat. Thanks, dude. :)

Hmm. I must being doing something wrong. The fairings aren't separating when staged. They stay glued together. Perhaps another picture would help:

-snip-

So as you see from my staging;

Stage 5: "Get off Kerbin and get to the planet" stage.

Stage 4: "Prep for landing approach" stage.

Stage 3: "Separate rocket from airship" stage. This is used when I hit 100m/s after aerobraking.

Stage 2: "Pop off fairings to reveal cargo" stage (not working)

Stage 1: "Remove rocket/fairing support truss" stage.

Stage 0: "Propeller on airship" stage.

I had Stage 3 and 2 together, and the fairings sat on the top of my airship, not popping off. So I'm utterly confused.

You probably have more struts than decoupler force to pop the shrouds off, try 'F' mouseover and bump up the decoupling force, or strutting the payload before putting the shrouds on (the struts should then pass through the bottom of the fairings without intersecting the fairings themselves).

Ok. I tried setting the decoupling force to high. Still not popping off. But my payload definitely isn't strutted down. I will try this.

EDIT: It was the struts I had attached from the exterior of the fairings to the rocket. I removed them and tried it again, and the fairings popped off beautifully. :)

Not to mention, strapping down my cargo actually helped stabilize the rocket in space. :P

Time for more testing. Looking good so far.

Edited by Benie

Do you make any other mods? With quality like this I'd love to see more content without downloading a parts pack! Great job and keep up the good work!

This is my first mod for KSP.

I want to make node editor (just GUI, no parts) which allows you to fine-tune maneuver nodes and shift them in time. Stock node editing is messy.

Maybe simple delta-V/TWR calculator for VAB too. Just an icon on the top bar you can mouse over to see per-stage and total info.

OK, maybe I'm retarded but which mod files go where? Obviously the .dll goes in the plugins folder, but where does the rest of the stuff go?

Since KSP 0.20, all files should go in GameData folder. Just unzip Keramzit folder there, so you get GameData/Keramzit/ProceduralFairings folder in your KSP folder.

OK, maybe I'm retarded but which mod files go where? Obviously the .dll goes in the plugins folder, but where does the rest of the stuff go?

Counterintuitively, everything goes in the "Gamedata" folder.

If you extract this mod it should have a map called Keramzit somewhere. You need to copypaste that into your Gamedata folder. This folder normally only contains the "Squad" folder

As long as that file is there the addon will work.

Hello,

First up, great mod, really helps make rockets look like rockets and by far the easiest fairing mod to use.

I'm trying to make a Saturn V analogue using double ended fairings, with a 3.25 plate at the bottom and a 2.5 plate at the top. This works great until I mount an engine on the service module. Because the plates are quite tall there is a noticeable gap between the engine and the rest of the service module. Also the plates do not allow fuel cross feed.

Is it possible to make a second set of base plates which are much slimmer and have fuel cross feed?

Hello,

First up, great mod, really helps make rockets look like rockets and by far the easiest fairing mod to use.

I'm trying to make a Saturn V analogue using double ended fairings, with a 3.25 plate at the bottom and a 2.5 plate at the top. This works great until I mount an engine on the service module. Because the plates are quite tall there is a noticeable gap between the engine and the rest of the service module. Also the plates do not allow fuel cross feed.

Is it possible to make a second set of base plates which are much slimmer and have fuel cross feed?

Check the very first post for this thread. Future plans are detailed there.

I want to make node editor (just GUI, no parts) which allows you to fine-tune maneuver nodes and shift them in time. Stock node editing is messy.

Maybe simple delta-V/TWR calculator for VAB too. Just an icon on the top bar you can mouse over to see per-stage and total info.

YES PLEASE. I would seriously download all of those. Fairings, maneuver node editing, and delta-v calculators are the three features that I want KSP to have, and there are only a handful of mods that cover them.

Both of those are in mechjeb, and separately as kerbal engineer (which does a few other things, too) and I can't remember the name of the separate node editor. That said, more variety never hurts.

There is already a maneuver node editor, just like the one you describe, it was just updated for 0.21, so I would love if you keep focusing on this one and other plans :)

Could you point me to it (the name or a link)? I'd like to use it if it really does what I want.

Could you add versions of the fairings that do not decouple, but can have parts surface a attached to them (not sure if the current ones do)? Then you can call it the Procedural Fairings and Fuselage mod!

This then leads into a SPH version which uses bilateral rather than radial symmetry, allowing sleek jets.

Edited by colmo