Should we really be concerned with breaking saves?

3_bit

As far as I see it, some member of the community could easily write a conversion program provided you don't have too many kerbals out and about. I guess we'll have to see how far this new update will take it. I personally wouldn't mind editing my saves manually if I had to.

What do you all think?

I for one, think that getting better,and more things in an update is worth breaking saves, but the people put hours into making giant ships might think otherwise. Although, they'd have to agree that those procedural craters Harvester talked about look extraordinary :P

I'm all for an update that contains enough differences in it that it can actually cause issues like this. It really highlights the fact that there's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff being worked on, beyond just adding parts and more eye candy. Of course, it also highlights the fact that this game is still pretty early in its development too, but KSP (to me) is the epitome of the eternal "do-over" anyway, so bring it on! :D

The game isn't finished. There's lots more functionality to add. Adding functionality can and in some case does mean breaking previous save formats. It happens all the time, and not just in games (Microsoft Access, anyone?). It's not faulty or lazy programming practices, it's simply fact. If you want new stuff, then move on from the old. So break the saves, Squad. I can't wait to see what's in store for us.

Is this thread a response to that "debate" thread that's been floating around? Because I literally have seen maybe one person who is at all concerned about this and does not think it is a Good Thing in the long run.

I don't think anyone is really concerned about breaking saves and, if they are, they are a minority among a vocal crowd that is very understanding of the game's state.

I'm actually bracing myself for the massive outcry (the kind that would have Obi-Wan dropping to his knees with the strength of it) that will come when people completely ignore all the pre-release hype threads like this, then come back here and howl about how all their hard work is just gone because they couldn't bother to back-up their original install first.

If the last update heralded countless Jebediahs riding SRBs, does this mean he'll now be tasked with making ridiculously-hazardous jumps over the wall of the deepest crater he- *ahem* I mean we ​can find? :D

I don't know why anyone would be worried about their saves breaking. It is just one of those things you should absolutely expect to happen in an alpha. If you where not prepared for it, you probably shouldn't be playing then and should wait for the game to actually release.

I don't know why anyone would be worried about their saves breaking. It is just one of those things you should absolutely expect to happen in an alpha. If you where not prepared for it, you probably shouldn't be playing then and should wait for the game to actually release.

...or, if it's that important, look into what's needed to KEEP what you've done while still checking out the new stuff (eg: copy the install folder elsewhere/rename it before grabbing the new stuff).

Shoot, I have so many mod-based ships now that if this next update messes with the mods as well, I'm definitely going to be keeping a backup to play with until the mods catch up. The trick is getting some of the newbies to actually think ahead before they pounce the latest ohh-shiny.

...or, if it's that important, look into what's needed to KEEP what you've done while still checking out the new stuff (eg: copy the install folder elsewhere/rename it before grabbing the new stuff).

Shoot, I have so many mod-based ships now that if this next update messes with the mods as well, I'm definitely going to be keeping a backup to play with until the mods catch up. The trick is getting some of the newbies to actually think ahead before they pounce the latest ohh-shiny.

Yes, I agree.

Though what I said still stands since continuing with the new save breaking update would still require you to start over. There is no way around that if you want to play the newest version. Course you can use hyper edit, but you really can't count on that to work every time.

-snip-

The trick is getting some of the newbies to actually think ahead before they pounce the latest ohh-shiny.

That is by far the funniest thing I've read all morning! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.