Has Scott Manley helped you?

Devland99

I've watched maybe one of his videos, can't stand his voice but the video was informative and well-done. I personally learned most of what I know of how to build and fly rockets from Chickenkeeper24 and these forums.

Most of rocket design I got figured out before I found a Scott Manley video, but he did get me onto RLVs. Hadn't thought of sticking jets on a rocket till then. I even DLed his versions. Haven't bested them in my own designs yet! :)

I like his reusable space program since it gives me some great ideas/shameless ripoffs to build. But in technical terms he helped me very little. I figured those out on my own long before I ever started to look for KSP on youtube.

Scott Manley might be good to listen to if you want to know more about astrophysics, since he was an astrophysicist. As far as learning how to be a good pilot, I suggest you look elsewhere.

I watched his tutorial on docking and got frustrated (telling him to "dock already" through my screen). He's not a great pilot, but at least he admits it.

I learned rocket science myself through my knowledge of physics.

I've found his tutorials very helpful. Not so much from the orbital mechanics point of view ( I've been using Orbiter for years and have that stuff down fairly well ) but as to how to get stuff done in KSP specific terms.

Every time my wife hears " Helllloooooo, Scott Manley here " coming from the computer speakers she cracks up laughing.... :D

Yes, he has helped me. More in an inspirational since, then actually in one specific thing. I was like "Holy cow he's super good at this game, I wanna be as good as him" Like I never really watched any of his tutorials, but I sometimes learn a thing or two.

PurpleTargets has probably taught me the most, if anyone.

Edited by AustralianFries

I've watched videos from a few different people, each of which have helped in their own ways. For Scott in particular, some of his videos have been very helpful i.e. when I was a complete noob, I found his 'Getting to Minmus' useful, both from a rocket design point of view, and the actual process of how to get there and land successfully.

Probably the most difficult thing I found to get my head around was rendezvousing and docking. I found Scott's video slightly less helpful on this topic as whilst he showed you what he was doing, he didn't always tell you why he was doing it, which personally I would have found helpful. I have developed my own technique for doing this now, which probably incorporates ideas from a few different tutorials on this particular subject. It's probably not the most efficient method possible, but it works for me.

I don't think Scott Manley was around when I started playing, If he was he certainly wasn't well advertised. Well when I started there was about 500 to 1000 players at most, hell there was probably less.

I guess this applies to me too, even if his videos didn't help me play KSP, I sure learned a lot from his science/space stories. Always fun to watch and listen to him.

His were among the many that I used to learn how to dock.

Other than that, I guess just helpful tips such as how to throttle when launching rockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.