life on laythe

jbaltus123

On my adventures on Laythe I have witnessed the migration of the Lesser Spotted Brown Laythian Slugs. You will be able to see them upon sunset or sunrise in the shadow of a hill that has the rocks on it. They take cover under the rocks during the day, and are always moving away from them in the evening or towards them in the morning.

True story. wasn't expecting it at all. Stopped my rover dead in it's tracks.

(ps. It's actually the shadows of rock scatters on a hill, cast on the next hill. The setting/rising sun makes them creep slowly. Enjoy the spectacle yourself before the lighting is fixed)

oxygen doesn't always equal life.

It does, actually.. Oxigen in the atmosphere would, over time, all react away into oxides, only photosynthesis (=plant life) can create an oxigen atmosphere. (So if theres oxigen, theres plants, and theres life.)

Provide evidence plz

Everywhere water exists on Earth, there is life. No other liquid H2O has been detected in the universe.

Thus, water=100% chance of life.

As does molecular oxygen in the atmosphere.

That water things is lower than 1% I think , but we don't know how life is created , so we don't know the chance of life. Easy.

It does, actually.. Oxigen in the atmosphere would, over time, all react away into oxides, only photosynthesis (=plant life) can create an oxigen atmosphere. (So if theres oxigen, theres plants, and theres life.)

Europa begs to differ. It has a molecular oxygen atmosphere due to radiation cracking the ice. No plants needed.

Provide evidence plz

Everywhere water exists on Earth, there is life. No other liquid H2O has been detected in the universe.

Thus, water=100% chance of life.

As does molecular oxygen in the atmosphere.

atmosphere does not equal to oxigen. water does not equal to life.

'water' as well as 'air' can be poisonous, incapable of sustaining life.

but let's say you're right and that's water and oxigen, there is no guarantee that there is/was or ever will be life.

also it was said multiple times that there will be NO alien life forms at all.

I don't get your logic, nor your impatience to see aliens.

atmosphere does not equal to oxigen. water does not equal to life.
Never said it did, don't know what you are on about
'water' as well as 'air' can be poisonous, incapable of sustaining life.
Liquid water and our atmosphere are never poisonous to humans. Certain extremeophiles don't thrive in conditions we find normal (and vice versa) but it isn't toxic to all life on Earth.
but let's say you're right and that's water and oxigen, there is no guarantee that there is/was or ever will be life.
Its Oxygen, and there are no examples yet found of anywhere in the universe where liquid water exists and there is no life present. Also, I'll say again, that because O2 is so reactive, the only viable mechanism for it to exist in an atmosphere is for it to be constantly replenished by photosynthesis. And again we find that the only planet with a significant fraction of its atmosphere being made up of oxygen also has life.
also it was said multiple times that there will be NO alien life forms at all.

I don't get your logic, nor your impatience to see aliens.

I'm not impatient. I'm just saying that the most likely reason there could be oxygen in Laythe's atmosphere is because some sort of microbial life is capable of photosynthesis in its liquid oceans.

Never said it did, don't know what you are on about

Liquid water and our atmosphere are never poisonous to humans. Certain extremeophiles don't thrive in conditions we find normal (and vice versa) but it isn't toxic to all life on Earth.

there are indeed extremophiles. but as I said, there is no guarantee that there's life.

also it is possible for kinds of molecules -as you probably know- to chemically break down whilst...de-allocating(?) O2 among others,

photosynthesis is not neccesarily required.

it is not true, yet it isn't false either that "there are no examples yet found of anywhere in the universe where liquid water exists and there is no life present"

did anyone find find life on every planet where liquid water is present? is the cat dead in the box or is it alive? you don't know until you open it.

it is an arguement neither of us can...'win'.

in the end I must apologize, the subject I was referring to as impatient is not you, it seems that I have replyed to the wrong person.

it's fun having a conversation on this matter nonetheless.

Europa begs to differ. It has a molecular oxygen atmosphere due to radiation cracking the ice. No plants needed.

Europa has far less oxygen than Laythe, You could never run a jet engine on the oxygen from radiation cracking water or ice. Basically by making jet engines work on Laythe have told us there is microbial life. I'm certain that's not what they meant by no aliens, but it's possible they simply made a mistake and didn't intend for deep ocean microbes on Laythe they just thought jet engines would be cool there. If that's the case and they are firm on the no microbes, I wish they'd turn off the jets.

There is almost CERTAINLY life on Laythe, but don't expect giant sea monsters, expect only cells and possibly very small multicellular organisms. Also, it could definitely be supported like the extremophiles by hydrothermal vents just like in Earthen oceans. And I assume everyone that has orbited Laythe agrees it has volcanoes and an active core charged because of strong Jool's magnetic field, just like some of the moons around Jupiter like Io and Europa, (Europa also has water and hopefully life like Laythe...)

yes, but this is about laythe, and if laythe is this far from the sun, the water would freeze. so there has to be something else in the water, or maybe it is not water at all! and oxygen does not need life to be created!

to prove that, read what is in this link.

There is a real life analog to this:http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/1457/

here is something that it says in there: "you don't need biology to produce an O2 atmosphere!"

so, no life on laythe, and if they do add life, it will be plants. like trees and grass on kerbin, just on laythe.

Edited by Firenexus13

I love all the people going "we have one example of liquid water in the universe and it has life THEREFORE life MUST exist everywhere theres liquid water!!!!11111!!111!"

It's a game, theres a ton of stuff that doesn't make sense at all, and were here arguing that Laythe must have life cause theres oxygen! Honestly?

You can get molecular oxygen, sure, but as others have said, not the thick oxygen soup needed to power jet engines. Unless there's something very scwewy going on there, mibrobial life is the best explanation for an oxygen-saturated atmosphere.

Given the temperature, the water has a high concentration of something. According to a lot of people, it could be ammonia, or extremely high quantities of salt. Maybe a basic form of cyanobactries could survive there, but it's nothing much to see in the game. That could be a source of oxygen. The other source could be the volcanic activity that will be added to Laythe once it gets relevant to have it in the game.

Sound plausible, ammonia would probably help life to. The volcanic activity probably produce lot of the heat on Laythe.

So no life you could see, however an sample mission become an high priority.

I've heard quite a bit about Squad saying that aliens aren't going to be featured in KSP, and if by aliens they mean the sentient space faring kind then I agree.

Or when they say "no aliens" do they mean nothing, not even microbes? Because that seems like a real missed opportunity for career mode, having to design a rover or something that can for example find algae on laythe or microorganisms on Duna.

I've heard quite a bit about Squad saying that aliens aren't going to be featured in KSP, and if by aliens they mean the sentient space faring kind then I agree.

Or when they say "no aliens" do they mean nothing, not even microbes? Because that seems like a real missed opportunity for career mode, having to design a rover or something that can for example find algae on laythe or microorganisms on Duna.

Maybe all the life in the Kerbol system has a common origin, and microbes have moved around to the other planets riding on impact ejecta. The compact spacing of the planets and relatively small amounts of delta-V needed in the Kerbol system would make this much more likely. And then the devs don't have to worry about anyone saying that microbes in Laythe's oceans or floating around in Eve's upper atmosphere or found in subsurface aquifers on Duna are "aliens".

again, laythe does not have life, and if it did, that life would die (not so) instantly. laythe is too cold! the water world freeze, and then the life would die from...

1. dehydration.

2. frostbite.

3. radiation.

and even if the volcanoes somehow defrosted the water, then it would die from the ever-present radiation, not to mention the volcanoes themselves!

There is almost CERTAINLY life on Laythe, but don't expect giant sea monsters, expect only cells and possibly very small multicellular organisms. Also, it could definitely be supported like the extremophiles by hydrothermal vents just like in Earthen oceans. And I assume everyone that has orbited Laythe agrees it has volcanoes and an active core charged because of strong Jool's magnetic field, just like some of the moons around Jupiter like Io and Europa, (Europa also has water and hopefully life like Laythe...)

No, there isn't, because it's a game and the devs didn't program any digital representations of life in to the game.

Has anyone got a 2hot probe reading from Laythe's ocean to hand? I landed a probe there back in .18 or 19 and recall the temperature at the surface to be ~15 degrees, though I may be very wrong. Perhaps Laythe is either heated through volcanism, tidal forces, Jool, or a combination of all three. Alternately, there are extremophiles on Earth which survive in the depths of antarctic caves.

So long as jets work on Laythe, there must be something pumping out prodigeous amounts of free oxygen

No, there isn't, because it's a game and the devs didn't program any digital representations of life in to the game.

*eyeroll*

You are familiar with the concepts of immersion, imagination and speculation, I hope.

*eyeroll*

You are familiar with the concepts of immersion, imagination and speculation, I hope.

*double eyeroll*

Doesn't change the fact that there is no life on the planet, even in terms of the game universe.

*double eyeroll*

Doesn't change the fact that there is no life on the planet, even in terms of the game universe.

So I guess you've taken a microscope to Laythe and examined the water in detail hmm? No? Then I guess your statement is not founded upon any hard evidence. Whereas the presence of oxygen in the atmosphere and the fact it has liquid water oceans (which have never been found without life swimming in them) strongly suggests there is.

again, laythe does not have life, and if it did, that life would die (not so) instantly. laythe is too cold! the water world freeze, and then the life would die from...

1. dehydration.

2. frostbite.

3. radiation.

Because there are no examples of life existing where there is limited water, cold temperatures and strong radiation. Nope, not true. Extremeophiles have been known to survive under these conditions. Why would they maybe not find these things comfortable or even thrive off them? Just because it wouldn't be pleasent to us humans doesn't mean it cannot sustain other life forms.

So I guess you've taken a microscope to Laythe and examined the water in detail hmm? No? Then I guess your statement is not founded upon any hard evidence. Whereas the presence of oxygen in the atmosphere and the fact it has liquid water oceans (which have never been found without life swimming in them) strongly suggests there is.

What a ridiculous assertion, it's a game, not real life and the devs have stated no aliens, so, no there is no "microscopic life!!11"