[1.3] Starshine Industries: Extendable Nozzle

ganinian

Exactly. Some of the parts have way too many high-res textures - usually, you can reduce the textures from 1024*1024 to 512*512 without any noticeable quality drop in-game. The models don't really take up a lot of space, but the textures do. Oh, and @Dragon01, that only works if the parts share the same model or use nearly identical models, so it's great for things like the B9 fuel tanks, but not for engines.

No, any two models that share a texture can share a folder, and have this texture applied to both of them. They don't need to have anything else in common, just the textures. I suspect that is the case with Athena, actually having to use 5 unique, 1024^2 textures seems unreasonable.

No, any two models that share a texture can share a folder, and have this texture applied to both of them. They don't need to have anything else in common, just the textures. I suspect that is the case with Athena, actually having to use 5 unique, 1024^2 textures seems unreasonable.

Yes, but the models need to be UV-mapped similarly to use the same texture, and to be uv-mapped similarly, they need to have similar models. Thus, two engines like the Vigor and the Twofold could possibly share a base, but the nozzles would need seperate textures. But you're right, two cylinders of different length could easily be mapped to the same texture.

No, they don't need to have similar UVs, at least not entirely. For example, one model could use the left part of the texture, and the other right one. It's actually common on models which are made as a whole, then split into parts. BobCat's Soyuz is an example, all 3 stages share a single texture.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any chance you'll be optimizing the Stock-Like parts? (Has someone else done so?) They look great and I'd like to use them, but I just can't justify 81 MB for 6 parts. That's more than half the size of my B9 folder (158 MB) which has over 200 parts. I'd peg 20 MB as the maximum reasonable size for this. Oh well, I'll keep this thread watched in case it gets updated. Happy modding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Sepratron II rocks! No other pack has anything like it.

PS: You should remove all the Mac OSX hidden mumbo-jumbo files from the release. .DS_Store, etc.

Those aren't files that I can delete, as they are generated when files are transferred from a mac to a PC, but they shouldn't affect anything, and if they do please report them to me :)

Exactly. Some of the parts have way too many high-res textures - usually, you can reduce the textures from 1024*1024 to 512*512 without any noticeable quality drop in-game. The models don't really take up a lot of space, but the textures do. Oh, and @Dragon01, that only works if the parts share the same model or use nearly identical models, so it's great for things like the B9 fuel tanks, but not for engines.

Yes ik they're ridiculous, it's because i was modding noob back then, I'll be working on it as soon as I get the poll results (go vote!)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2015 at 5:58 PM, Delta_8930 said:

Will this patched be modified for KSP 1.0.4? The Athena is pretty awesome.

Good afternoon everyone! I spend a little bit of time whipping a little something up, because I too enjoyed Athena.

So here you have it. A version fully patched for KSP 1.0.5. I also included a RealPlumes config for the 3 engines as well.

oFqze2n.png

Of course, all credit goes to @ganinian and StarShine Industries for the work. 

Cheers.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

although the original was a few years ago, was an under development update posted to reddit a short while ago? I remember seeing a gif of an extendable engine that looked just like the function of the first one in the OP

Edited by Gaiiden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.