Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

By the way, the Tiberdyne Shuttles are named Odyssey and Intrepid. I don't care if you re-use them, just thought you ought to know beforehand. There's an Explorer on the drawing board, but I dunno when it'll get past that stage.

And I like Dauntless. Its a fine naval name.

sorry mate, I was not suggesting we copy yours, the Intrepid (and ironically Odyssey) are my preferred ship names in any game I am playing, obviously from 2001 and the Intrepid was from an old game called Starflight by Binary systems.. back in the 80's.

IMO you could just call it the KSP mini shuttle, as thats what I refer to it as and alot of others also, I can see this being the small shuttle of choice for many.

Would you at least make a fairing or an adapter/decoupler for it so it's not stuck to the LV with it's engines? Would make the connection point look nice.

Oh you mean you want a fairing so that you can mount the shuttle with the engines installed? Ouch! that's a no for now. Definitely something I can model in the future after we're all flying it in game. I'm out of UV space completely. Constructing a proper fairing to fit the rear and cover the engines would set us back at least 2 days it is also beyond the scope of the mod currently. But it is definitely something I can add later on. I thought you mean mounting the orbiter without the engines on to a tank or something.

The engines are not part of the orbiter, you can attach and detach them normally.

After installing the air-stair I'm out of space completely.

You can use whatever units you like while modelling it - you can set the scale factor in the part config file afterwards. So it is easy to correct the scale after you have exported everything.

Alright that sounds awesome!

Had to put together a more important part then the cockpit...

HjZ73Ni.jpg

Edited by helldiver

IMO you could just call it the KSP mini shuttle, as thats what I refer to it as and alot of others also, I can see this being the small shuttle of choice for many.

The official name of the vehicle is Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter, not Intrepid, or Dauntless, or Mini-shuttle, or anything like that. The missions involving it are numbered KST-1, KST-2 and so on (KST stands for Kerbin Shuttle Transport).

Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter, or simple Kerbin Shuttle "Wing", or KSO "XXXX" (where XXXX is the name of a part) is what will show up in the parts selector. So you will see; Kerbin Shuttle Right Wing, KSO Main Left Gear, KSO Nose Gear, and so on. The engines will show up as Thrustmax 750 and Omnimax 350 (or what ever number we settle on once we've figured out the thrust, version, or what ever.

Dauntless is the christening name, which I stuck on the side, is the test vehicle I'm using. It'll be Dauntless until the vehicle and parts and project is complete and in game. Once that is working, then we can experiment with the decal/art changing mod by Firespitter and I will come on the forums and ask for suggestions. Punching a new name on the said takes me 10 seconds.

I think some of you guys are confusing the christening name with the official model name.

The fluff goes that the KSO is being built as a joint venture between Murika Corp, Orbitz Aerospace, and VEG for the Kerbal Space Program. The name Kerbin was chosen because it was a combined effort of several companies throughout, Kerbin. So instead of preferring a local name, the consortium chose Kerbin (the name of the planet) to represent the combined effort. However, the VEG design group traditionally named their space vehicles after the planet or location they were designed to operate on, for example Mun L-12 (the 12th version of their Mun lander), KLV-54 (the 54th version of their Kerbin Lift Vehicle), and so on. For being a design group, they aren't very creative in naming their devices.

They also have the nasty habit of referring to their vehicles as "he" or "it" rather than "she".

To ask for ETA is considered rude

I look at it like burping after a meal in some countries where its considered to be a compliment to the chef. If the developer who is quite active in his own thread says, please stop asking then we know other wise perhaps we are just can't wait to burp because we know the meal will be good. :cool:

Sorry that it seems that way, but Like Toyota says, It can be considered a compliment. (I Would take it as such!). I Have been following many mods in progress in hope of getting inspiration for making a mod myself.. Not that I Haven't any ideas, but Im just afraid of the steep learning curve, and I Don't exactly have much summertime left anyways, But Thank you for trying to enlighten me, I Didn't know ETAs Were Disrespectful here.

-DB-

Sorry that it seems that way, but Like Toyota says, It can be considered a compliment. (I Would take it as such!). I Have been following many mods in progress in hope of getting inspiration for making a mod myself.. Not that I Haven't any ideas, but Im just afraid of the steep learning curve, and I Don't exactly have much summertime left anyways, But Thank you for trying to enlighten me, I Didn't know ETAs Were Disrespectful here.

-DB-

Some of the grizzled vets of this consider it disrespectful, I can't speak for helldiver, but what I have seen of his posts, he loves his fan base and input from them and talking to them. I wouldn't worry too much.

I think the hatches on the inside need to be the same as the ones on the Lander cans, the Crewtank, and the Cupola.

Maybe the mini shuttle is cutting edge technology and abandoned the old hatch profile. :)

That would Be fantastic too.

I want it in game as fast as you do, rather, the same night it is in game and successfully flying without too much fuss, will be the same night you'll be able to download it here or on the Spaceport.

The goals you saw on the original posts and follow ups, are set in stone. I'm not a feature creep fan. So no prolonging projects indefinitely as I add in everything but the kitchen sink.

The only additional parts being added aside from the set goals are necessary parts needed to make flying and using it much more user friendly. As well as any part needed by the KSP development pipeline.

Right now I'm working on the flight deck, I'll have some pics up later this eve.

I want it in game as fast as you do, rather, the same night it is in game and successfully flying without too much fuss, will be the same night you'll be able to download it here or on the Spaceport.

The goals you saw on the original posts and follow ups, are set in stone. I'm not a feature creep fan. So no prolonging projects indefinitely as I add in everything but the kitchen sink.

The only additional parts being added aside from the set goals are necessary parts needed to make flying and using it much more user friendly. As well as any part needed by the KSP development pipeline.

Right now I'm working on the flight deck, I'll have some pics up later this eve.

And pretty soon I'll have the next version of KCA out with the required gimbal support so that you can test the flight behaviour when you're ready.

Edit: Unless it's too late, you may want to have room for a display panel in the cockpit that could be used at some later point to control KCA settings.

Edited by ZRM

And pretty soon I'll have the next version of KCA out with the required gimbal support so that you can test the flight behaviour when you're ready.

Edit: Unless it's too late, you may want to have room for a display panel in the cockpit that could be used at some later point to control KCA settings.

You are still using Firespitter screens? If so, how many? I want to know how viable it will be to fly this from cockpit view.

You guys are thinking the same way I am.

I want a glass cockpit that is at least 75% usable (100% usable would be like the game "Orbiter" or "Flight Simulator X). I know 75% is kind of difficult without some robust programming support for MFDs.

Specifically, I need an HSI and an ADI for atmospheric flight. Two center screens will be used as MFDs which would bring up space-flight data and information. Those two center screens can double as Camera screens for orbital maneuvering to make up for the lack of visibility.

ZRM, how viable is that? Are you able to program an ADI? ADI stands for Attitude Director Indicator, HSI stands for Horizontal Situation Indicator.

The HSI is on the left the ADI is on the right:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wNlH9Ec-lp0/TJuRog_5bSI/AAAAAAAAA7M/Cji-gr8vqGw/s320/Airplane+stuff+007.jpg

I didn't want to use the Ball used in KSP and prefer an ADI glass display. Better visibility and we can put all information on it, Altitude, AoA, KIAS (or true airspeed if the game simulates any of that). After a certain altitude, airspeed converts to meters per second, and altitude converts to meters (or it could all be switchable by the player).

The HSI would allow you to set nav-points (I know there is no VOR or ILS systems in KSP) on the ground around Kerbin. Maybe have it so you need to deploy one? You would use the HSI to glide back to specific spots you set. On inter-planetary missions perhaps the HSI could be used to set nav points in reference to that planet's magnetic north? You would need to be at a specific altitude over the planetary body for it to work.

In addition to the HSI and ADI, there will be two MFDs in the center of the control panel. These can be used for all flight data (turning on and off lights, opening the cargo bay, flight information, RCS status, etcetera). Additionally these two MFD's can be used to display visual from the cargo bay and from the front lower portion of the cockpit (for ground and orbital operation clearance visibility).

You would also have the analog gauges (radar altimeter, magnetic compass, airspeed indicator, etc.).

I'll have an image of the flight deck a little later, I'm still brick and mortaring the master.

You guys are thinking the same way I am.

I want a glass cockpit that is at least 75% usable (100% usable would be like the game "Orbiter" or "Flight Simulator X). I know 75% is kind of difficult without some robust programming support for MFDs.

Specifically, I need an HSI and an ADI for atmospheric flight. Two center screens will be used as MFDs which would bring up space-flight data and information. Those two center screens can double as Camera screens for orbital maneuvering to make up for the lack of visibility.

ZRM, how viable is that? Are you able to program an ADI? ADI stands for Attitude Director Indicator, HSI stands for Horizontal Situation Indicator.

The HSI is on the left the ADI is on the right:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wNlH9Ec-lp0/TJuRog_5bSI/AAAAAAAAA7M/Cji-gr8vqGw/s320/Airplane+stuff+007.jpg

I didn't want to use the Ball used in KSP and prefer an ADI glass display. Better visibility and we can put all information on it, Altitude, AoA, KIAS (or true airspeed if the game simulates any of that). After a certain altitude, airspeed converts to meters per second, and altitude converts to meters (or it could all be switchable by the player).

The HSI would allow you to set nav-points (I know there is no VOR or ILS systems in KSP) on the ground around Kerbin. Maybe have it so you need to deploy one? You would use the HSI to glide back to specific spots you set. On inter-planetary missions perhaps the HSI could be used to set nav points in reference to that planet's magnetic north? You would need to be at a specific altitude over the planetary body for it to work.

In addition to the HSI and ADI, there will be two MFDs in the center of the control panel. These can be used for all flight data (turning on and off lights, opening the cargo bay, flight information, RCS status, etcetera). Additionally these two MFD's can be used to display visual from the cargo bay and from the front lower portion of the cockpit (for ground and orbital operation clearance visibility).

You would also have the analog gauges (radar altimeter, magnetic compass, airspeed indicator, etc.).

I'll have an image of the flight deck a little later, I'm still brick and mortaring the master.

Personally I think you should skip on the HSI, however the ADI is a great idea. :)

Oh, come on. It's supossed to be stockalike, I think it should go all the way.

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you mean the attachment points in the cargo bay;

RqYGOqN.jpg

UnbD66P.jpg

Note that they have the circular attachment point similar to the stock parts and the KXP Mod parts.

If you mean the internal bulkhead pressure doors as you see here:

k8Qq7Ck.jpg

Then that's a no. Not only are they unique to the Kerbin orbiter design, but all the textures and geometry has been baked with them. You're not supposed to be attaching non KSO parts in those locations anyhow as there is no attachment vertex (the part will glow red).