Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

Might I suggest an adapter part so that the Shuttle can also be lifted on top of a normal rocket, à la the Dreamchaser?

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dream_Chaser_Atlas_V_Integrated_Launch_Configuration.jpg

Nice idea, but that illustration looks a bit iffy. It doesn't look like that hatch on the orbiter is big enough for those fat astronauts to fit into. Also do they have to jump to get in? Or do a leg-up? And the astronaut furthest back has dismembered feet. Is that a requirement for any prospective applicant?

By the way, the Tiberdyne Shuttles are named Odyssey and Intrepid. I don't care if you re-use them, just thought you ought to know beforehand. There's an Explorer on the drawing board, but I dunno when it'll get past that stage.

And I like Dauntless. Its a fine naval name.

m1182654_99060807022_BFGDauntlessTorpedoMain_445x319.jpg

Aye, that it is. Dauntless class light cruiser, one of the more fearsome Battlefleet Gothic light cruisers.

On topic... This mini shuttle looks incredible! I am very keen to test it out. I love the work you did on gimballing, a very nice touch.

Might I suggest an adapter part so that the Shuttle can also be lifted on top of a normal rocket, à la the Dreamchaser?

Man that thing is ugly. Even the X-37B has absolutely no character.

-The rear end has a central vertex you can attach one of the hundreds of tanks, adapter rings, and parts available in the stock installation or on the Spaceport. Currently I don't have plants to build a launch vehicle since there is plenty of stuff available.

They tried to make up for the looks with the name, but I don't think it helps. Always trust a corporate venture to employ someone in marketing to come up with a "catchy" name.

Oh I don't know, I've always liked the X-37B, it's got that whole cute drone thing going for it. But the Dreamchaser? That thing is the exact opposite of pleasing to the eye.

Helldiver, you said this was going to be approximated 2.5m scale, yes? Or at least, the cargo bay holds 2.5m stuff?

-The rear end has a central vertex you can attach one of the hundreds of tanks, adapter rings, and parts available in the stock installation or on the Spaceport. Currently I don't have plants to build a launch vehicle since there is plenty of stuff available.

Wait you think the Dreamchaser is ugly? :confused:

Oh I don't know, I've always liked the X-37B, it's got that whole cute drone thing going for it. But the Dreamchaser? That thing is the exact opposite of pleasing to the eye.

Helldiver, you said this was going to be approximated 2.5m scale, yes? Or at least, the cargo bay holds 2.5m stuff?

Ok that's a big issue that's coming up shortly. I should be done with the cockpit by sunday-monday and then I begin the collision mesh process. Before I get to that point I want to already scale the project and reset xforms.

According the KSP wiki, a Kerbal is 0.75 meters tall (that's close to 2'5").

If the cargo bay is 1.5 meters wide (close to 5') two Kerbals could lay down end to the end and touch both sides. It seems to me 1.5 meters is just way too small. Specially since the cockpit is supposed to fit 4 Kerbals. An additional 2 Kerbals can fit in the Docking Module, for a total of 6 Kerbals in the space craft.

If the Cargo bay is 1.5 meters wide, that makes the cockpit about 1.2 (approximately 4'). That gives me very little space for the center consoles or any side panel details.

I suppose I could go for 1.8 (6ft). That should give me more than enough space for everything plus give you 1.5m in the cargo bay that is usable.

What does everyone think?

Ok that's a big issue that's coming up shortly. I should be done with the cockpit by sunday-monday and then I begin the collision mesh process. Before I get to that point I want to already scale the project and reset xforms.

According the KSP wiki, a Kerbal is 0.75 meters tall (that's close to 2'5").

If the cargo bay is 1.5 meters wide (close to 5') two Kerbals could lay down end to the end and touch both sides. It seems to me 1.5 meters is just way too small. Specially since the cockpit is supposed to fit 4 Kerbals. An additional 2 Kerbals can fit in the Docking Module, for a total of 6 Kerbals in the space craft.

If the Cargo bay is 1.5 meters wide, that makes the cockpit about 1.2 (approximately 4'). That gives me very little space for the center consoles or any side panel details.

I suppose I could go for 1.8 (6ft). That should give me more than enough space for everything plus give you 1.5m in the cargo bay that is usable.

What does everyone think?

What really matters, besides the Kerbals fitting in, is the payload dimensions. If you go for 1.8m we can fit in the smallest standard size parts, 1.25m wide, plus radial extensions, and probably with room for a robotic arm. Just don't expect to use this to launch much in the way of space station components, as they will probably be at least 2.5m across. So you will be pretty much limited to probes and satelites.

Another idea I've just had for an extra part - how about an alternative crew module part that can be interchanged with the cargo bay part?

What are the dimensions of the grey plates on that docking adapter part? are those for Jr. sized ports? Imo you should make a large crew module that can fill the cargo hold and be attached to a station with standard docking ports.

I think a 1.8ish meter payload bay is preferable; I like the idea of this shuttle being a smaller cousin of something like the Buran; I'd much rather use it to deliver satellites and crew into orbit, rather than as a heavy lifter for Space Station components. I also think the shapes and design of the shuttle fits a smaller form factor, as opposed to a larger one. Jsut my two cents.

I think a 1.8ish meter payload bay is preferable; I like the idea of this shuttle being a smaller cousin of something like the Buran; I'd much rather use it to deliver satellites and crew into orbit, rather than as a heavy lifter for Space Station components. I also think the shapes and design of the shuttle fits a smaller form factor, as opposed to a larger one. Jsut my two cents.

I think you're right. There's probably a lot you can do with a 1.8m width (1.5m usable). Besides, I expect we will probably also see "cannibalised" shuttles with large external payloads and extra radial tanks and engines once this is released. We may even see contraptions as ridiculous as the spacecraft from Deep Impact. Giant SRBs in orbit? Who would have thought it?

No, no showing of Kerbals in the cockpit.

I'm designing the cockpit to give you maximum visibility for IVA flight. My goal was to add additional MFD's that you can turn on for camera views while inside.

Before doing the scaling;

Is there anything I need to know about the scale in KSP? 1m = 1m in KSP right?

It's not something weird like 1m=1.5 or something?

I'm converting from Feet, which is why I need to know this ahead of time. 80 Pieces currently, so I'd like to know before redoing all the hierarchies.

thanks!

Before doing the scaling;

Is there anything I need to know about the scale in KSP? 1m = 1m in KSP right?

It's not something weird like 1m=1.5 or something?

I'm converting from Feet, which is why I need to know this ahead of time. 80 Pieces currently, so I'd like to know before redoing all the hierarchies.

thanks!

You can use whatever units you like while modelling it - you can set the scale factor in the part config file afterwards. So it is easy to correct the scale after you have exported everything.

Would you at least make a fairing or an adapter/decoupler for it so it's not stuck to the LV with it's engines? Would make the connection point look nice.