Possible Planet Additions (Revised)

Yeah I noticed what you were going on about and realized I accidentally added an extra number, turning the original 110% size into half the size of the sun. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

But you preferred the larger version? You realize that if it was implemented into the game at 1/10th scale, it would be half the size of Kerbol?

That's what would be awesome about it. A fantasy planet of unrealistic size. I also want to see an impossibly large terrestrial with really high gravity (but moderate atmosphere).

P.S.: Kerbol is larger than 1/10th Sol.

Sol: 1,393,000km diameter

Kerbol: 523,000km diameter

Bombora in KSP: ~80,000km diameter

Awesome huge terrestrial in KSP: ~3,000km diameter, 2.5G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice!! I love these. Could you do a biome maps ups too?

I'm looking forward to comets, asteroid belts, and objects in trojan points around the major bodies.

Biome maps?

Interesting... Sure I could create a few of these. I'll get right on it.

• 2 months later...

I really love these ideas, and I think I can try to implent them into the game using the Planet Factory Creators Edition. Thank you for your color maps, they sure help a lot! If you could also provide me height maps, I would be very happy and able to add thinks like craters on Cite's surface. For now, Im going to try to implent them, but I cant promise anything! Also: I can't add a "thin" atmosphere, like on Cite's moon Glace. Also, adding those won't have really any effect on gameplay, since Kerbal barometers and parachutes require much more atmosphere. I'm starting to code right away! (P.S: as you said, I will reduce the size of the objects). Edit: here are my template choices so far:

Blalo - Eve

Blight - Vall

Ici - Eeloo

Cite - Eve

Glace - Vall

Niia - Gilly

Bombora - Jool (obviously)

Lavao & Craio - Moho

Crato - Tylo

Volco - Dres

Meanwhile, check this out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66882-0-23-Sido-s-Urania-System-16-new-planets-and-moon-!

It adds a planet called Urania and its lovely system. Also, it requires the Planet Factory Mod CE which adds:

A gas giant called Sentar (which has rings!) and its system:

A ball of super-gravity called Thud (IT HAS 3.14 G AND NO ATMOSPHERE!!!)

A nice little moon called Skelton

A Laythe-like mook called Erin and Erin's moon Pock

A Tylo-like moon with rings called Ringle

and more aside from Sentar:

A super-fast rotating object called Inacessable (it rotates around in 7 minutes)

A comet called Ascension

A baking world called Ablate

And a new star system:

Serious and its planet Joker (You'll see for yourself why Joker suits it that well)

Happy exploring the vast regions of space!

-Marten2Productions

Nice work Samio! Blalo, Bombora and Lavao are my faves. Man I'd love to see an Io analog. Have you thought about the way Titan's atmosphere is opaque? It could be really fun to have a moon whose features couldn't be made out from orbit. Id also love a uranus analogue :D

• 3 weeks later...
Nice work Samio! Blalo, Bombora and Lavao are my faves. Man I'd love to see an Io analog. Have you thought about the way Titan's atmosphere is opaque? It could be really fun to have a moon whose features couldn't be made out from orbit. Id also love a uranus analogue :D

This is possible: just install the Clouds & City lights plugin. It is really easy to make a dense cloud hovering above something like Eve...

About the Uranus analogue, check this out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66882-0-23-Sido-s-Urania-System-16-new-planets-and-moon-!

Edited by Marten2Productions

You should be able to find what you need on my DeviantART page here:

The images are full 4000x2000 PNG's for the height, color, and texture maps. Much better than what is available on my Forum Post.

Height: http://samio85.deviantart.com/art/Cite-Height-Map-426143197

Color: http://samio85.deviantart.com/art/Cite-Texture-Map-426142722

Texture: http://samio85.deviantart.com/art/Cite-Surface-377622976

• 3 months later...

I also had an idea for a entirely different solar system, before I got into skip, like Samio. Here it is!

star-heligen (mind the uncreative name), a yellow main sequence star

first planet-apro, removed

ACTUAL first planet-Jolanus, a Venus analog, orbit distance same as mercury's average distance

the second planet, now named Chiken(where my username comes from) is a rocky planet similar to kerbin and the earth, home to a yet unamed intelligent spacies and many other animal species. Yep. I expect snide remarks on this one.

Chiken's first moon, Vol, is a volcanic moon with a bit of atmosphere. And lots of volcanoes. And craters.

the second and larger moon, Jeminus, is a once geologically active moon, with very light maria and a very prominentimpact crater called Jopernicus.

the third planet, Kopesis, is a rocky planet the size of earth just outside the habitable zone, so it has frozen seas water. Fossils of animals and plants were found on Kopesis.

kopesis' moon, alo, is a moon 99% the same as minmus.

the fifth planet, tras-removed

the actual fifth planet- Kolos: a whitish gas giant, roughly the size of Jupiter,which has bright, colorful set of rings when the planet tore apert one of it's icy moons. the most prominent moon is atmo, the titan analog, and once hosted bacterial life, untill a very large crater crashed into it and introduced the deadly oxygen. The remains of the crater is now Major Atlis lake

seventh planet- Aslein: previously a gas giant ntill i found out about brown dwarfs and red dwarfs, very masiive and largge brown unignited brown dwar roughly 17x the mass of jupiter, has very complex moon system, major ones big enough to be called planets.

major moons (closest to farthest) Rocklo, a large ganymede analog with a thin, thnn atmosphere

frezope- very large europa- like moon

Lathos- Laythe analog, islands, water, volcanism, all that goood stuff. it has a reasonable magnetic feild, thick atmosphere, and it rotates.

Jun- while a lot of gas crashed into aslein during it's formation, enough to make two more gas giants, two planets were far enough away to not be pulled towards it substantially: Kolos and a small ice giant called jun. however, a gravitational bump caused bya passing star gave aslein a chence to grab it. Lots of moons were swallowed or flung out in the process.

The eighth, jun, is now orbiting aslein

moons- removed, pulled out by other moons and aslein. Aslein is a selfish jerk.

Edited by Rolanvorxariat
i made the final decisions and proper moon names. changed some planet's orbits, removed some..

• 11 months later...
If you provide heightmaps we can import these into kopernicus :)

I actually have most of the height maps available in my deviantART gallery here: http://samio85.deviantart.com/gallery/12136493/Galaxa-Galaxy

I have been told however, that they may need resizing as they may be too small. I plan on working on some of them this month, although due to the scales required, may take a good chunk of the summer to do so.

Edit: Turns out the images were the right size already, no resizing needs to be done!

Edited by Samio

• 1 month later...

I have three planet ideas (one with moons) for this, all of which would harbor strange, non-carbon-based forms of life. I only have the broad features of these planets in mind. The names I've come up with are kind of iffy.

1A: Boro

A large, cold planet with large landmasses and vast seas of liquid ammonia. Due to the type of star it orbits and the amount of cosmic ray spallation that occurs, Boro has an unusually high concentration of boron. Because of this, and because of its ammonia seas, reducing environment and sulfur-rich landmasses, the planet hosts boron-based life. These lifeforms thrive on liquid ammonia the same way carbon-based life thrives on water. Their bizarre DNA counterpart uses sulfur as a backbone instead of phosphorus. From what I've read, boron is the most feasible alternative to carbon as a basis for life, especially since it can form the rare three-center-two-electron bond.

1B: Alti

A fairly large, rocky moon in a very high orbit around Boro.

1C: Rotar

A natural satellite in a low orbit around Alti. Rotar appears to be a round, good-sized captured asteroid with an unusually fast rotation.

2: Crystalli

A highly volcanic planet rich in silicon, oxygen, and sulfuric acid. The surface is pockmarked with an amazing variety of mineral and isotope deposits. Crystalli has almost no magnetic field, allowing many different forms of radiation to bombard the planet. This environment harbors radiosynthetic silicon-based organisms with tough, crystalline exoskeletons. These creatures thrive on the radiation blasting in from space and on the minerals and radioactive isotopes scattered around the planet. Silicon is the most commonly proposed alternative to carbon as a basis for life due to its similarities to carbon.

3: Slaga

This planet's thick atmosphere and close proximity to its star cause its temperature to skyrocket, rendering it even hotter than Venus. It consists almost entirely of transition metals. Because of Slaga's extremely high but varying temperature, these metals are present as solids, liquids, gases, and even plasmas. Against all odds, this metallic chaos is home to abnormal life based on transition metals. Certain transition metals can actually form complex molecules that rival those of carbon. Extreme heat would be required to make these molecules form naturally.

I hope these are decent ideas. They're a little far-fetched, but not by too much.

Edited by JMBuilder

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.