Satellite Craft Type

Maybe it's just me, but I differentiate between probes and satellites. Probes I see as unmanned craft you send to other planets/places for the purpose of exploration. Satellites are placed into an orbit to accomplish tasks such as scanning/communications. It would be nice if it had its own craft type.

You can partially solve that problem for the time being by renaming your craft after they are launched. Use Probe as part of the name for probes and satellite as part of the name for those in orbit.

I assume you're using mods like kethane? Because as of right now there is no functional reason in the vanilla game to differentiate between satellites and probes. You could set them as landers or rovers if that helps. Once resources are brought into the game and once there's a use for the communotrons I could see the need for more craft types. Perhaps you could post this in the addon requests and get the modders to add craft types relevant to the parts in their mods?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.