[1.12.x] LCD - Launch CountDown v1.8.0 [23 Oct 2019]

Athlonic

Update v1.1 released :

Now with a Push Button :

9LDbRK2.jpg

Changelog :

v 1.1 :

- Fixed, issue when multiple launch clamp parts was present (Cybutek "using static var" trick),

- Replaced 'right-click' on launch clamp by an UI Launch button,

- Made the new UI button position persistent when dragged,

- Made the new UI button to recenter if it goes off screen on resolution change,

- Some code cleaning, optimizations.

Note the only option to abort the launch is by setting an action group, for now.

;)

So i might be missing something, but all I have to do is put the LaunchCountDown folder into the GameData folder just like any other mod right? If so im not getting a push button to come up or even the chance of using action groups to activate it. Any advice?

So i might be missing something, but all I have to do is put the LaunchCountDown folder into the GameData folder just like any other mod right? If so im not getting a push button to come up or even the chance of using action groups to activate it. Any advice?

You should have this :

Steam : "...\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData"

KSP Store : "...\KSP_win\GameData"

containing the "ModuleManager.dll" file AND the "LaunchCountDown" folder (and its content).

You need also to place some TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer part on your rockets as well of course ;)

Hope this helps.

<---- Feels stupid.

Sigh, it was the module manager file was missing. Thanks for help.

You should have this :

Steam : "...\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData"

KSP Store : "...\KSP_win\GameData"

containing the "ModuleManager.dll" file AND the "LaunchCountDown" folder (and its content).

You need also to place some TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer part on your rockets as well of course ;)

Hope this helps.

Where did you get the voice sample for the countdown, anyway?

As a side note, you should probably have different options for the countdown, so that you could choose from the PAO loop (what you hear on TV and the loudspeakers at the launch site), the air-ground loop (what the crew and controllers hear), and possibly a near-silent mode for those "military flights" where they're revealing the bare minimum of information. (For the last, look for some of the Gemini-Titan launches, where all you hear the PAO say is, "Ignition... lift-off.")

If you do that, make sure you don't use the same voice for the different loops, because it'd also be cool to be able to mix-and-match loops, so that you could, say, have the PAO loop playing quietly in the background, as if from distant speakers at the viewing area, plus the air-ground loop playing more audibly for the employees.

Additional touches that might go well: A warning horn, whistle, or siren that fires off a blast at the start of the terminal count to warn those near to seek shelter, and a "hardcore mode" where you activate it and it starts at T-minus-5 hours, when they start fueling the booster, and goes through a full countdown, with appropriate audio. (You'd probably want to be able to use time warp during that.) Imagine, though, being able to have your warning siren go off to inform nonessential personnel to clear the area, then the PAO and air-ground loops discussing the start of fueling, then its progress, then its completion, followed by the power-up of the vehicle, the loading of the crew ("Bill has been beaten into a stupor and successfully stuffed through the hatch into his couch, and is now being chained down..."), the final checkouts, and then the final five minutes start with another sounding of the siren, then all the chatter as the vehicle is transferred from operating on ground control to fully internal operations before the terminal count, ignition sequence start, and launch commit.

That "hardcore mode" where you simulate the whole countdown could also be an opportunity for the future, to give people the *option* of random failures during the countdown, with the possibility of built-in holds during the count in case you need more time to correct them without aborting the launch unless the failure wasn't something that could be worked around or fixed without someone going in with a wrench... it would give the abort function a real purpose, and also give you the option of adding a "hold count" function to the controls.

Another suggestion: Have it detect if someone hits the "abort" action group (by default, backspace) and immediately interrupt the count with the "abort" spiel, plus a bit about mobilizing the search and rescue teams downrange, since I'd figure that using the abort action group would trigger any launch abort system--this would be for simulating a case like Soyuz T-10-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_T-10-1 ) where the launch escape system is used on the pad because of a major fire or other indications that the booster is about to blow up on the pad, and thus an abort-launch-and-get-out option would be inappropriate.

I really like what I just read rdfox.

Some features are certainly beyond my coding skill (for now) but at least I got a serious "to do" list now ;)

I will do my best ;)

I will implement Kerbal voices and a simple "funny" launch sequence first, as these will be default settings.

And then more serious things later.

Thanks for your feedback again ;)

Looks interesting - I'll be installing it, and I look forward to your next version.

One minor nit to pick: when the announcer says "liftoff will start in t-minus 10 seconds", the counter should be at "10" when he says "10 seconds", and then he goes right to "9...8..."

As it stands, he's saying "10" at T-12s, then again at T-10s. Seems odd.

One other minor issue I've noticed:

Aside from the multiple launch clamps problem, the "start countdown" box really needs to go away once it's been initiated. As it is, it remains there throughout the countdown until ignition - not really a hindrance, but a plugin that's supposed to make launches more immersive should not block the view, if you know what I'm saying?

You are right HeadHunter67,

I think I will replace the "realistic" audio sequence by the actual Apollo 11 one.

As the one I use for now is quite boring over time and ignition is not intended to happen in place of liftoff anyway.

For the UI window, the "Start" button will be replaced by an "Abort" button once the startup sequence is triggered (in the next version).

I might be able to reduce the UI size though ;)

I think I will replace the "realistic" audio sequence by the actual Apollo 11 one.

As the one I use for now is quite boring over time...

You should be able to load several different countdowns into a folder and have your program (which is a very good addition to the game) pick randomly which one to use much as the Chatterer mod plays random clips. That should provide enough difference to the countdown.

A cool idea would be to assign custom action groups to certain T in the countdown. Like at T-3, you activate the Action Group 1, which activates the main engines, and at 0 everything lights up and explodes in an epic baoum !

I kinda dislike the sound it makes, even for a earth based scenario it is too ... fake. Raw capcom sounds like the ones from STS launches. A word-reversed Soyuz launch commentary sound would be perfect for the "alien language" ^^

The ability to choose the type of sound we want (for different types of launchers) would be great too ;)

Anyway, good concept here, keep on going :)

A cool idea would be to assign custom action groups to certain T in the countdown. Like at T-3, you activate the Action Group 1, which activates the main engines, and at 0 everything lights up

I second that motion. Would make the mod fantastic for use in fan-made videos.

Note that raw air-ground loop (not "raw capcom") does NOT sound like what you heard on STS launches; what you heard was the PAO feed, which includes the air-ground loop AND the Public Affairs Officer doing a commentary that explains what the hell all those "delta vees" and "go to poos" coming from the spacecraft mean to the general public.

Actually, Jack King, the "voice of Apollo Launch Control" who famously did the PAO feed commentary for Apollo 11's launch, is still alive. I wonder if anyone here knows someone who knows him, and might be able to arrange for him to record some commentary for this mod... XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.