Rover-hangar challenge

I came up with this idea when I failed with landing my rover on eve. And I forgot to quicksave. Problem was wheels broke during touchdown.

So I though of this cool idea of a small hangar with like small equipment like solar panels, lights, batteries, science equipment and so on...

As I failed horrible I wanted to see what the rest of the community is cabable of. So I made up this challenge.

So I basically want you to make a unmanned rover inside a small hangar. Rules are below.

So here's the rules:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

A name for it

Stock only

Sciene equipment and a way of communication (antennas) is required

The "hangar" is supposed to serve as a base of some sort, not a "shell"

Under 100 parts (launcher not included)

The rover + hangar should be less then 22 tons together

Unmanned rovers only

Not too big rovers

Only rovers with a hangar

Able to land on on most planets/moon ( Not every planet/moon is required but the more the higher chance you have of winning )

No cheats

Screenshots, the more the better

And finally, proof of travel

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sky cranes is allowed. And probably required for moon landings.

The winners will be chosen in a few days.

Winners will be displayed under here:

1 -

2 -

3 -

Edited by Knas

Didn't I do that in my first post? Can you tell me what to be more specefic about?

Well, a weight limit on the craft or payload would be something. Maybe specific rover features that have to be included (Science Instruments, etc.).

Will the hangar be used just as a shell to deliver the rover? Or, will it serve as a "base" of sorts.

Well, a weight limit on the craft or payload would be something. Maybe specific rover features that have to be included (Science Instruments, etc.).

Will the hangar be used just as a shell to deliver the rover? Or, will it serve as a "base" of sorts.

Okay I updated the first post, did I miss anything?

I bring you.. something small.. :P

71 parts, base and rover. 5.6 tons. if my math isn't completely off, this should get to duna quite easyly, going to mun was easy, lots of wasted fuel.

thing is i wanted to keep this inside the biggest cylinders, so that made some design choices hard.. but.. its working. :D

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00008.jpg/_full.jpg

At launchpad:

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00001.jpg

liftoff!

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00002.jpg

forgot to took pictures around kerbin.. so only moonshot:

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00003.jpg

Touchdown, i picked poorly.. lost 3 solarpanels on the landing.. rolled few hundred meters on the side of the cliff..

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00004.jpg

and littlebugger is out!

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00005.jpg

docking approach.. not nice place.

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00006.jpg

and docked again:

http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/Kerbal+Space+Program/roverhangar/2013-08-02_00007.jpg

I'm confused about this requirement - The "hangar" is supposed to serve as a base of some sort, not a "shell"

How would you qualify the hangar serving as a base? With what does it need to be equipped in order to qualify as a base, I suppose that's what I'm asking.

This one's also vague: Not too big rovers. What qualifies as "not too big"? I would think the less than 100 parts/22 tonnes requirement would cover that...

Definitely interested in trying this one out; I have some pretty small rovers but have never thought to deliver them in some kind of encasement.

I did it (sorta...) BUT I DID IT OVER HOURS OF FRUSTRATION!

hfpNTxT.jpg

TLqe5J8.jpg

SpAd0DS.jpg

KmL1Pv9.jpg

iCjDZcq.jpg

9fUyTiI.jpg

The rover had a life of a good 30 seconds doing barrel rolls, i did not pick a good landing spot.

You get the picture, right? easy Drop-n-go!

DOWNLOAD (includes skycrane)

I put pictures so to prove i did not cheat (please believe me:this took hours even though my signature should prove this should be easy)

I'm confused about this requirement - The "hangar" is supposed to serve as a base of some sort, not a "shell"

How would you qualify the hangar serving as a base? With what does it need to be equipped in order to qualify as a base, I suppose that's what I'm asking.

This one's also vague: Not too big rovers. What qualifies as "not too big"? I would think the less than 100 parts/22 tonnes requirement would cover that...

Definitely interested in trying this one out; I have some pretty small rovers but have never thought to deliver them in some kind of encasement.

In this case: Forget small/tiny rovers. What this guy wants within his limitations is next to impossible.

When only a dockable hangar witch is also acting as a shell was requested, the challenge would have been over with Louhikarme's post.

What he is demanding, is mutch more than that: He want's some sort of service-station witch have to be capable of overhauling/repairing a damaged rover. Witch means:

- Lots of docking ports to be able to remove the damaged parts and to store the needed spare parts.

- With stock parts only, there have to be an skycrane witch must dock three times to change one part/partgroup. And this causes a considerable amount of additional fuel and therefore weight. Not to forget that the exhause fumes of the rockets should not damage the spare parts and the rover witch is to be refitted.

I have already tryed it out (on kerbin). That very skycrane have a flighttime of only about 1 minute, makes it 3 minutes on a smaller celestrial body. Because i had never done dockings on the ground before, i failed in that task. And i think, i will be not the only one.

Macey Deans trick would not function on a celestrial body witch have no perfectly flat surface. And nevertheless: There is no Kerbal around who kicks the damaged part of the rover.

Then i modified my hangar with - uups - a mod. Using the Robotic Arms Pack (Buran version of course) this task is mutch more easier to accomplish. But even then: My construction have 138 parts and a weight of 16 tons - hangar and rover only. With descend stage it makes 141 parts and 25 tons.

Because i can't construct a neander-machine within KSP it seems i'm out of the race for now. Maybe i have some new ideas in the future.

Main problem here is if its need to be docked to the hangar or not. That's why my contraption is what it is, due the rover wheel hight being different on all the planets, solution was to put legs to lift it up to the docking port.

Also, what defines a hangar, floor, three walls and roof? If just roof is required as a shell, that would make the design even simpler. my death trap was being conservative and trying to keep within the biggest radius of the tanks, if you disregard that, you have pretty much free reign.

hear is my second attempted at making a rover base with a much more base like rover hanger with 4 rovers

but it is very hard to get in to orbit

has full Sciene equipment in each rover and can land on almost all plaints i think only tested the mum and duna

Javascript is disabled. View full album

and the rovers can dock with each outer just a line of two thow

Main problem here is if its need to be docked to the hangar or not. That's why my contraption is what it is, due the rover wheel hight being different on all the planets, solution was to put legs to lift it up to the docking port.

Also, what defines a hangar, floor, three walls and roof? If just roof is required as a shell, that would make the design even simpler. my death trap was being conservative and trying to keep within the biggest radius of the tanks, if you disregard that, you have pretty much free reign.

That's not the main problem. I suggest that it is the maintainace of the rover. After a rough landing or due to damage of roving it should be possible to replace damaged systems. Witch can mean: Diverd (fly to an other location) the service-station to the actial position of the rover to replace these damaged systems.

Since the creator of the thread did'nt response, it is tricky to have some suggestions what he is up to want to realize.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.