[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Same problem as others - TreeLoader doesn't work, but I made I workaround by editing the .cfg files so I don't really mind.

But what happened to the effects? Was the change intentional? Because I liked the old ones better. The new quantum plasma thrusters produce a strange cloud of blue smoke...?

I just moved back to this mod from KSPI-Lite ... couple things I noticed that are either bugs or I'm misinterpreting things - 1. the magnetic nozzles don't line up with antimatter reactors. There's about an 0.5m gap between them if you connect them in SPH/VAB... intentional? Am I supposed to connect the magnetic nozzles to something else? I was just trying to replace my thermal turbojets with them to see how they work, and with the thermal turbojets, they have to be touching the antimatter reactors directly, so I figured I'd do that here...

... also, with KSPI-Lite, I could tweakscale-scale the DT Vista engine/other parts. Is that not supposed to be possible?

I just moved back to this mod from KSPI-Lite ... couple things I noticed that are either bugs or I'm misinterpreting things - 1. the magnetic nozzles don't line up with antimatter reactors. There's about an 0.5m gap between them if you connect them in SPH/VAB... intentional? Am I supposed to connect the magnetic nozzles to something else? I was just trying to replace my thermal turbojets with them to see how they work, and with the thermal turbojets, they have to be touching the antimatter reactors directly, so I figured I'd do that here...

... also, with KSPI-Lite, I could tweakscale-scale the DT Vista engine/other parts. Is that not supposed to be possible?

The magnetic nozzle gap is a bug, something to do with node placement IIRC. They should function normally other than looking weird. TweakScale was something specifically added to Interstellar Lite, and is not present in this version of the mod.

It's likely he edited all his interstellar parts into the stock tree manually. I am WAY too lazy for that lol.

Most Interstellar parts actually have the techRequired in their config files set to a stock node out of the box, with entries in tree.cfg for TreeLoader to override those assignments if it works. The workaround is to pull TreeLoader so it doesn't try to tamper with those assignments, then edit the techRequired of any parts that are missing.

Do tell? What workaround did you actually use?

The only problem with not using KSPI tree is that improved parts are unavailable (advanced warp geometry etc.). I just edited those requirements on parts I use. Or you could completely delete them.

It looks like the TreeLoader plugin is no longer loading, which is going to be hard to resolve since the license is very restrictive meaning I either have to hope r4m0n fixes it or find a workaround. I will find a solution to restore proper tree functioning but I'm not going to have a lot of time to study possible workarounds until the weekend so the fix unfortunately won't be instantaneous.

Take your time, no pressure from me. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me doing something wrong :)

And might i just use this opportunity of my newly created account here, to express my gratitude for your amazing work on this mod! This mod really makes KSP go from one of, to the absolute best game I've ever played! Keep up the great work! :)

It looks like the TreeLoader plugin is no longer loading, which is going to be hard to resolve since the license is very restrictive meaning I either have to hope r4m0n fixes it or find a workaround. I will find a solution to restore proper tree functioning but I'm not going to have a lot of time to study possible workarounds until the weekend so the fix unfortunately won't be instantaneous.

It looks like it's not going to be touched by anyone (last update was.23, licence is prohibitive). Fortunately, there appears to be an alternative. Check out the ATC mod, considering it was specifically designed to be a replacement for TreeLoader it might be a good fit.

It looks like it's not going to be touched by anyone (last update was.23, licence is prohibitive). Fortunately, there appears to be an alternative. Check out the ATC mod, considering it was specifically designed to be a replacement for TreeLoader it might be a good fit.

Yeah, I'm aware of the plugin but it currently doesn't allow you to add new technology nodes, only edit existing ones. I forked the plugin to see if I could add that capability to it but I haven't had any luck yet.

Can you use it to reposition nodes? There are like 8 hidden. Even with treeloader you can't combine trees from different mods, so no real diff, unless you need way more nodes.......

However, you can use tree loader to create your a custom tree with new nodes, while other mods that just add to stock nodes still work perfectly.

IIRC part of the reason Interstellar started using treeloader was to avoid messing up stock nodes that other mods add parts to.

Can you use it to reposition nodes? There are like 8 hidden. Even with treeloader you can't combine trees from different mods, so no real diff, unless you need way more nodes.......

KSPI uses 59 nodes. There are only 55 in the stock game.

Hi, sorry to be a pain, but dont understand the install of this mod, the readme in the zip says put folders in main directory, not the gamedata folder, but when i do that nothing loads?

any help please

thank you

sam

Hi, sorry to be a pain, but dont understand the install of this mod, the readme in the zip says put folders in main directory, not the gamedata folder, but when i do that nothing loads?

any help please

thank you

sam

What? No. Stick it in the gamedata folder. Then read a few pages back for all the current issues.

it says to unpack it into the main folder. it's the same as opening it, dragging the gamedata folder from the zip into the main KSP folder. It will ask if you wish to merge gamedata folders, and then place all the subfolders in the correct spots. (overwriting as needed)

any help please

thank you

sam

What you want is for everything under GameData in the zip to end up under the main GameData in your KSP install. The quickest way to do this on Windows is to extract or copy the zip's GameData folder itself to the top-level KSP folder where KSP's GameData lives. But it's the end goal that matters: You should have Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin, Kerbal Space Program\GameData\OpenResourceSystem, and the same for the third-party dependencies in the zip.

Could not find a bug report preference so leaving it here. I seem to be having issues with attaching Alumium Hybrid Rockets to any other part. The attachment points are far out from the items actual size. This gives the appearance that they are in the air next to the craft rather than attached physically. The only other mod i have installed is Engineer, which should not be playing a role in the issue.

Just wanted to drop by and offer some thoughts;

First, I have a complete (but untested) KSPI-RealFuels config. Just don't want to post it without testing first. It should set everything to RF standards, and change everything in the configs that RealFuels doesnt handle itself.

Second, I wanted to support Tweakscale; with 60+ mods, my parts menu is VERY cluttered as-is with LSPI-Lite and over 50 parts disabled or removed. Also, a general note on Tweakscale and mass scaling: I thought realistic tank scaling was non-linear at one point myself. Turns out, this isnt the case. All tanks for space craft are actually pressure vessels, even when the contents are just at STP. Space is a vacuum, thus unless the fuel is at like 1/100th STP, it's going to scale more or less linearly because the tank's pressure increases with it's size. Strictly linearly in the case of highly pressurized gasses like Xenon and Argon whose tanks can't be built larger than a fixed size practically. The only real factors in tank weight that may not be linear are things like outer shells and structural elements. The tanks themselves are mostly linear, and at a certain point, all tanks become linear because we do not have the material structural integrity to build larger tanks, and instead tanks must simply be duplicated for more volume.

@Fractal_UK

Have you considered collaborating with NathanKell's efforts for AJE/RealHeat? AJE handles jet engines brilliantly, matching realism better than I thought possible myself. While RealHeat is in it's infancy, it could be the answer to your efforts to manage thermal energy realistically, as it wont use KSP's "pump" system, but instead uses a custom system based on physical properties. I think you and Kell have a lot of similar goals; the only difference is your mod pushes into the theoretical. But your emphasis on realism is the same none the less. In fact, I would highly suggest utilizing mods like RealFuels, AJE, and so forth so you no longer have to implement so many things in KSPI. The best part about realism is that IRL, there's ultimately only one way things work. There's only one STP desnity of LiquidOxygen. The various reactors and materials have piles and piles of data. 100 degrees kelvin is always 100 degrees kelvin. The only things that the topic can contain that lead to disagreement are:

1) how deep the realism goes

2) which data set is used (typically resulting in something like a 1-10% variance)

3) semantics

The data set used typically just doesn't matter, long as the data was acquired with decent control and scientific rigor. Semantics are just that: semantics. In English I call the rose 'Red'. In Japanese I call it 'Akaii'. In Greek I might call it 'Kokino'. Because computers demand we all speak the same language, we have to pick one word for everything that is the same. If we mean H2O at STP, then there should be only one term for it, and everything that uses H2O at STP refers to the same definition. I've standardized everything to RealFuels currently in my configs, mostly because the mod has more realistic chemicals which are based on scientific data than any other mod. Far as I am concerned it's the realism standard currently. The only other notation I would support would be scientific standards of some kind.

Also, many other mods around the forums offer their models under open licenses; You could use them as a base or final models. I highly doubt many users would mind...

I have a problem where it sometimes subtracts the value of antimatter from the antimatter tanks which changes the value of the craft to negative numbers (tens of millions). If I edit the .cfg item "amount = 0" to "amount = x" where x is the max amount it sometimes adds the value of the antimatter (still spawns with none) to the value of the craft. I'll still have to test it further.