[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Yes, you just have to wait for the decay heating to subside, you can't work with the reactor while it's still running hot. It should take about 3 days to cool off.

Thank you! I should have read the release notes I guess. I killed two of the 6 man crew trying to evacuate them due to the "radiation hazard". Lol.

Though I guess if that is something in the plans/works for another update, then I should abandon that station anyway.

If that is the plan, are there plans for how to shield your crew ?

Wouldn't it be possible to change fuel of the fission reactors in the VAB? I don't know the details, but in the B9-Aerospace mod it is possible to change the starting states of the cargobay (open/closed) or the cockpit (lights on/off) before flight. Maybe it is not that complicated and you don't have to rely on the upcoming tweakables.

Thank you for your hard work on the mod ;)

B9 actually includes several other mods's plugins within it; KineTech Animation, Firespitter, and Exsurgent Engineering. One of these - I forget which - is the one that lets you set initial states, and will probably be removed when tweakables arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by vardicd

Okay, I've looked and haven't found any information, can some one explain to me or give me a link on how the waste heat works, exactly? I have two identical probes, one generates waste heat for some reason, but the other doesn't. both are the same probe cores, 8 solar panels and two communotron antennas, using them as boosters in the remote tech 2 network I have going. I don't understand why one gets hot, the other does not.

"It could be something about the environment of your ships, is one in sunlight and the other not, for example?"

At the time, both were on the daylight side of Kerbin, maybe 200K apart, both functioning, but its not reliably reproducible. I went back to the relays later and neither was getting hot, and another time both were, and yet another, the one that wasn't before was. I don't understand at all. I've been paying attention, cause I just downloaded this today, and was worried that I'd need to redo my sats and relay ground stations, but so far, none of my geostationary sats are getting hot, and the ground stations are unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by vardicd

Okay, I've looked and haven't found any information, can some one explain to me or give me a link on how the waste heat works, exactly? I have two identical probes, one generates waste heat for some reason, but the other doesn't. both are the same probe cores, 8 solar panels and two communotron antennas, using them as boosters in the remote tech 2 network I have going. I don't understand why one gets hot, the other does not.

"It could be something about the environment of your ships, is one in sunlight and the other not, for example?"

At the time, both were on the daylight side of Kerbin, maybe 200K apart, both functioning, but its not reliably reproducible. I went back to the relays later and neither was getting hot, and another time both were, and yet another, the one that wasn't before was. I don't understand at all. I've been paying attention, cause I just downloaded this today, and was worried that I'd need to redo my sats and relay ground stations, but so far, none of my geostationary sats are getting hot, and the ground stations are unreliable.

They will heat up on the sun side and cool down on the night side.

Ehhmmm, why do (the Stock) solarpanels now produce Waste Heat?

That is a bit unrealistic, solarpanels Energyproductions makes no waste heat :-)

Of course it does, the solar panels are components that absorb heat when they are in sunlight and that heat needs to be dissipated by radiators. The electrical system on the satellite is nowhere near 100% efficient either, that causes heating too.

Ehhmmm, why do (the Stock) solarpanels now produce Waste Heat?

That is a bit unrealistic, solarpanels Energyproductions makes no waste heat :-)

Could you share your magical 100% efficient electricity generating solar panels with the world please? Otherwise, stop making ill-informed comments.

Nuclear reactor directly attached to an electric generator + science lab somewhere + radiators. Is that about right? I read part descriptions within the game and went from there. The wiki may also have given me a hint.

I'm new to this mod and have not been following it at all while it's been made.

Edited by BigD145

i have a refinery on the moon making aluminum for my hybrid rocket, but it only makes aluminium and no oxidizer. is this new feature or bug?

edit: also i have a fusion reactor but when i try to turn it on i get a DT is nan error in log: dT is NaN! tA: 0.813741683959961, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

Edited by 123nick
added bug report

Nuclear reactor directly attached to an electric generator + science lab somewhere + radiators. Is that about right? I read part descriptions within the game and went from there. The wiki may also have given me a hint.

I'm new to this mod and have not been following it at all while it's been made.

Yep, sounds fine. What "science per day" rate is the science lab reporting?

I'm getting phantom forces operating on my ship, e.g. no engines on, out of atmosphere and no RCS, but the ship's orbit is changing. Any advice?

Hard to say without pictures but that sometimes happens in KSP, often as a result of the placement of struts.

i have a refinery on the moon making aluminum for my hybrid rocket, but it only makes aluminium and no oxidizer. is this new feature or bug?

Check that you have fuel lines from the hybrid rocket to the refinery.

edit: also i have a fusion reactor but when i try to turn it on i get a DT is nan error in log: dT is NaN! tA: 0.813741683959961, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

That DT is NaN is nothing to worry about, perhaps check that you have enough power to start the fusion reactor. It needs the stated power available to be able to turn on.

Edited by Fractal_UK

Yep, sounds fine. What "science per day" rate is the science lab reporting?

0.149/day around Kerbin polar. I found Kerbals with no stupidity. It's too bad for them the radiation is climbing. I noticed you have to go with 1.25 parts at the lowest for a science lab. This is with no upgrades.

0.149/day around Kerbin polar. I found Kerbals with no stupidity. It's too bad for them the radiation is climbing. I noticed you have to go with 1.25 parts at the lowest for a science lab. This is with no upgrades.

Yep, it's working :)

I put 5 "safe" nuclear reactor/electric pairs up and now I think I have to go save my scientists, because they can't do anything except soak up radiation. Mistakes with nuclear power? No, sorry guys. Nothing wrong here. You just need to come home right away.

Can you, or is it even worth it to, mix nuclear and electric sizes?

I've been thinking. It would be a pretty good near-future science thing if we could make more efficient solar panels. They could produce more electricity and less waste heat, and they would be good for solar power satellites.

I've been thinking. It would be a pretty good near-future science thing if we could make more efficient solar panels. They could produce more electricity and less waste heat, and they would be good for solar power satellites.

I don't ever use solar panels any more, the smaller reactors are far too efficient. Having 100% power on the dark side of a planet is too good.

I put 5 "safe" nuclear reactor/electric pairs up and now I think I have to go save my scientists, because they can't do anything except soak up radiation. Mistakes with nuclear power? No, sorry guys. Nothing wrong here. You just need to come home right away.

Can you, or is it even worth it to, mix nuclear and electric sizes?

Yes, it's possible, you get less power if you do it but it could be worthwhile. Maybe you want the largest reactor to give you a better TWR but maybe you don't need the power output that the largest generator would offer, you could stick on a smaller generator, save mass but you still have some electrical power available.

Details:

My ship (space plane) has following essential parts:

2x 2.5m AM-Reactor + Generator

1x 2.5m Alcubierre Drive (folded version OR normal version, tested both)

2x 2.5m AM-Tanks (AM amount: 1600/80000)

6x AM-Collectors (no AM-Flux)

1x 2.5m Plasmathruster

2x 1.25m Plasmathruster

16x Heatradiators (medium)

1x Computercore

Some data for each status:

No engines active, Warp-Drive not charging:

AM-Rate: -13.3 (production of AM)

No engines active, Warp-Drive charging:

AM-Rate: 13.3

EM-Rate: 143

Both thermal engines active (full thrust), Warp-Drive not charging:

Thust (each): 683.8 kN (on ground)

2.5m plasma engine active (full thrust), Warp-Drive not charging:

Thrust: 1883.5 kN (on ground)

Power: 143 377.20 MW (liquid, 72% efficiency)

Equilibrium thrust with no AM consumption: 941.7kN

Reactor data at 100% energy consumption:

Left AM-Reactor:

Core Temp: 343 117K

Current Power: 480 GW_th

Right one is inactive (0.000%)

Left and Right Electric Generator:

Current Power: 71.9 GW_e

Max Power: 71.9 GW_e

Efficiency: 59.9%

Bonus bug:

If I consume all of the antimatter (by using thrust or charging warp drive), the amount becomes negative huge values and then finally "NaN". Also I seem to produce litte to none waste heat.

Modlist:

AviationLights, B9_Aerospace, FAR, KAS, KerbalJointReinforcement, HyperEdit, KWRocketry, ModularFuelTanks, PreciseNode, ProceduralWings, UbioWeldingLtd, VOID, WarpPlugin

Got a confirmed fixed for this for next version. Thanks for the very detailed report.

I can't get the ISRU to attach radially like pictured in the OP.

It will appear to snap to it, but it won't attach, if I click it just places it faded out

I'm still grappling with this problem, it seems that attachment nodes only work in pairs. In other words, I can have a node on the top and a node on the bottom or a node left and right but not a node bottom and right (for example). However I set it up, one of the pair doesn't work. It's the same problem that the stock 6-way hub has, when you try to attach it to something else it will only work in a certain orientation. If you put it on top of something else, then attach something to the side node, the side node should work then.

It might be better if that was the other way around though, so you could attach it to things sideways but things to it either way (if that made any sense at all).