[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Tried it again, and this time managed to impact the ground at over 480 m/s, by using the final-stage SRB as intended (to shove back down through the lower atmosphere at high speeds). I was also lucky enough to hit the side of a mountain this time (less time experiencing drag).

QfNX34M.png

But, still no impact data! What's the issue here- is the velocity still not sufficient, or is it more of a coding issue?

Regards,

Northstar

Finally got one to work!

B7j3nMI.png

But I didn't do anything different this time, except hit the ground a little closer to the sensor... (the 110 m/s impact from the first post was at an only moderately greater distance from the sensor)

Is the impactor code supposed to be working like this? Or is this just a result of a glitch?

- Northstar

Ok, I'm having trouble finding uses for a certain part: The 3.75m Antimatter Reactor.

As I see it... there are only two uses:

1, Launching 200-500+ tons into LKO (~2500 AM)

2, Short duration (~55 hrs when full) power transmitting from my combination Jool Antimatter Farm and Power Station

Can anyone give me any other valid times to use this absolutely insanely powerful reactor? Even in the largest mothership I've ever made... even the 2.5m reactor was overkill.

~Steve

There may be something up with gathering antimatter while not flying a craft and/or when the collectors and containment device are separated by docking ports. I'm using 10.3 but all(?) of the craft in question were originally created in 9.x something. All craft are in much the same 970km -ish Kerbin orbit.

1) A simple all in one craft, containment and 4 collectors. Antimatter increases when flying and when not flying the craft.

2) Bit of a beast with containment docked to two main arms which themselves dock to 12 collector arms each with 6 collectors. This behaves as expected when I'm flying the craft but gathers very little (ie, probably 0) antimatter when not the active vessel.

3) My pride and joy, containment docked to two main arms, the arms dock to a total of 9 collector arms (4 + 5), each collector arm has 12 collectors. This actually collects less antimatter per minute than 2) for some reason, it also collects antimatter only while it is the active vessel.

I have also been having this issue, it seems antimatter does not generate on out of focus vessels with the antimatter container and antimatter generation parts (either science lab or collector) as separate docked parts.

Maybe we could create wormholes or power stargates with this strong cookie? :) On a more serious note, you can recharge an alcubierre drive in record time.

You may not know.. but you can attach microwave receivers to launch clamps. This is when I start up my jool reactor to juice my warp drive before take off in a few seconds. Then the receivers are left behind on the launch clamps when you take off.

Quite handy.

I have also been having this issue, it seems antimatter does not generate on out of focus vessels with the antimatter container and antimatter generation parts (either science lab or collector) as separate docked parts.

Actually this works for me since his last update. My 54 AM collector Farm/Power Station DOES indeed collect AM when unfocused. Even properly calculates the minuscule amount of AM the reactor uses to keep the storage containers working.

AM reactor powering an AM farm... gotta love it!

~Steve

Edited by NeoAcario

Actually this works for me since his last update. My 54 AM collector Farm/Power Station DOES indeed collect AM when unfocused. Even properly calculates the minuscule amount of AM the reactor uses to keep the storage containers working.

AM reactor powering an AM farm... gotta love it!

~Steve

Is that with the Antimatter container as part of a larger module or with the antimatter container as a separate part with only docking ports attached? My station that does not generate antimatter out of focus has the antimatter container as an independent part with only docking ports attached.

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of an efficiency issue. I'm trying to set up a microwave transceiver system (with my Remote Tech comm system), and my power output seems extraordinarily low.

Here's a pic showing one of my units. All of them produce the same amount, and this is after wasteheat equilibrium is reached.

Efficiencyissues_zpsce72dcba.jpg

As you can see, I am using 3.75m reactors and trying to send that power. The reactors are un-upgraded, but my radiators and generator are both upgraded one tier. The radiators are the huge foldable kind, and there are 6 of them.

5.9% efficiency?!

Any help here?

Oh, also, it appears that there are a couple glitches with the phased array microwave transceivers. On load, they close, even if they're active (they're active in that screenshot). You can activate both transmission and receiving at the same time. Stopping transmission causes the opening animation to play.

Edited by Aloriel

Upgraded radiators can get a lot hotter. For upgraded reactors, this is a must. However for unupgraded reactors it has the unfortunate effect of being able to get near the same temp for the reactor thus killing off efficiency. I don't think there is an option to use unupgraded radiators in the VAB but there probably should.

I've got a question regarded impact experiments. I set up three recording sites 120 degrees apart about the equator of the Mun. I even made sure the recorders were equipped with .625m fission reactor and generator to handle the power load on the dish to collect and transmit the data. I even remembered to set the seismic sensors to record data. So far so good.

So, I decouple the first impact probe and drop it on the Mun's south pole. On impact I got the message that the impact had been recorded. I went to the first recorder and collected the data. 875 science, yah! Again so far so good. I go to the next recorder and can't collect any data. Alright, I get it, only one site actually needs to do the collection, cool.

I note the seismic sensors are still set to record, so I go back to the impactors, break off the next one and drop it on the Mun's north pole. No message on impact this time. Go to the first recorder and no dice on collection. Okay, minor bug maybe. Guessing that I need to reset the seismic sensors (on all three sites) by toggling the record data off then on. Bleh, no dice. No message on impact #3 and can't collect any data.

At this point I'm at a loss. I don't think its and error between the keyboard and chair but I don't see what I might be doing wrong.

For reference, the recording sites are fairly straight forward. One is a manned craft while the other two are unmanned. Power isn't a problem on any of them. The impactors are pretty minimalist as well, just a flat core, z-200 battery, oscar-b tank, and an LV-1 engine. The impactors are decending from a 100km orbit and impacting at something above 490m/s. All three followed the same procedure. Is there a max speed limit as well as a min? I've got two more impactors for this mission, so I'll try slower and see what happens.

Edit: Slower didn't help. #4 hit at 410m/s. #5 hit at 600m/s. Still nada. I see the post a page back, I'll try closer to the recorder. I didn't thinik you could be too far away.

Edited by rosenkranz

That or work up the science to upgrade the radiators

Actually, that's something I haven't been exactly clear on. I'm not sure how much science I need to upgrade parts? I've recently been working on missions to Eve and Duna, netting me huge quantities of science. Yet I was only able to upgrade the generators and radiators. Do I need to research anything specific in the tech tree to get upgrades? Or does it happen when I have acquired enough science?

Actually, that's something I haven't been exactly clear on. I'm not sure how much science I need to upgrade parts? I've recently been working on missions to Eve and Duna, netting me huge quantities of science. Yet I was only able to upgrade the generators and radiators. Do I need to research anything specific in the tech tree to get upgrades? Or does it happen when I have acquired enough science?

I think when you get the dt-vista and fusion reactors, that is the upgrade for the fission reactors.

Edit: Yeah, checked the first post, it's there on the pic of the tech tree.

The fusion power node upgrades the reactors and experimental electronics upgrades radiators and generators. These upgrades are automatic on newly launched ships once you have the node. That is any new ship you launch will use upgraded parts without you haveing to do anything. ships already in flight dont get upgraded automaticly although you can click on the part and select upgrade to expend science for a retrofit.

edit I should really refresh the page to see if someone answered before replying :o

Fractal! Fractaaaal! Ah has an ah-deer!

I noticed that you cannot use an electric engine somewhere where there is no stacked electricity generator (of any kind). Now, I could make a 3.75m nuclear generator in the very stalk of my vessel, attach eight structural fuselages to the main stalk, and set plasma thrusters on each. Absolutely no thrust will ever be gained whenever I send that chunk of metal into space. So, best option is to just use some other form.

But then I had an idea.

Now, unless I totally missed something uber-important, you can't use the plasma thrusters unless it's connected to an electric generator itself, so why not make something that can act as an exposed wire? An external duct (which is actually a wire) attached to the generator and thruster so that the energy itself can be transferred through the cable, and power the thruster. :D

Again, I may have missed something, but if it was intentionally done that the plasma thrusters, specifically, work that way (being that, last I checked, energy was distributed ship-wide), then this would be a grand idea. Unless I'm wrong...Did I say that right, or miss something? I don't think I did....

Fractal! Fractaaaal! Ah has an ah-deer!

I noticed that you cannot use an electric engine somewhere where there is no stacked electricity generator (of any kind). Now, I could make a 3.75m nuclear generator in the very stalk of my vessel, attach eight structural fuselages to the main stalk, and set plasma thrusters on each. Absolutely no thrust will ever be gained whenever I send that chunk of metal into space. So, best option is to just use some other form.

But then I had an idea.

Now, unless I totally missed something uber-important, you can't use the plasma thrusters unless it's connected to an electric generator itself, so why not make something that can act as an exposed wire? An external duct (which is actually a wire) attached to the generator and thruster so that the energy itself can be transferred through the cable, and power the thruster. :D

Again, I may have missed something, but if it was intentionally done that the plasma thrusters, specifically, work that way (being that, last I checked, energy was distributed ship-wide), then this would be a grand idea. Unless I'm wrong...Did I say that right, or miss something? I don't think I did....

What? Plasma thrusters don't have to be directly connected to the genereator. But the generator does need to be connected to the reactor. You could also connect a generator to one of those microwave thermal receivers. if you really don't want a generator, you could also get away with a microwave power receiver. But you have to have some source of MegaJoules to run the thrusters on. But the thrusters can be anywhere on the ship.

Edit: It occurs to me, that thrusters also need propellant. I think everything but Liquid Fuel and LFO modes do not require fuel lines. If you're trying to use Liquid Fuel or LFO modes though, you will need a path for the fuel to travel as those resources are stack dependant. I like lithium myself as it has a very nice ISP (6000+) and is fairly light. Mining it, however might be a pain.

Edited by rosenkranz

Guys, is there some kind of minimum size or weight needed for impact probes? I set up a bunch of sensors on the surface, with a nice ship packed full of impactors in orbit. No matter how many I slam in to the surface, nothing registers. The only time I get a result is deorbiting the whole ship. Am I missing something here?

I like lithium myself as it has a very nice ISP (6000+) and is fairly light. Mining it, however might be a pain.

As things are now gathering it is far from efficent. Your better off sending a fuel barge off to wherever with dozens of lithium tanks straped to it. That said I do favor lithium as a plasma propelent. While I tend to hook plasmas to a liquid fuel tank for deep space manuvers I'll have lithium tanks attached and use them for any situation where I need thrust. xenon just isnt worth bringing along and argon is only good for a launch stage most of the time. A couple argon drop tanks can get a heavier vessle high enough for lithium or liquid to finish orbital insertion.

So, I decouple the first impact probe and drop it on the Mun's south pole. On impact I got the message that the impact had been recorded. I went to the first recorder and collected the data. 875 science, yah! Again so far so good. I go to the next recorder and can't collect any data. Alright, I get it, only one site actually needs to do the collection, cool.

I note the seismic sensors are still set to record, so I go back to the impactors, break off the next one and drop it on the Mun's north pole. No message on impact this time. Go to the first recorder and no dice on collection. Okay, minor bug maybe. Guessing that I need to reset the seismic sensors (on all three sites) by toggling the record data off then on. Bleh, no dice. No message on impact #3 and can't collect any data.

Try renaming the probe cores of the impactors after detaching them, that worked for me last time I had that problem.

As things are now gathering it is far from efficent. Your better off sending a fuel barge off to wherever with dozens of lithium tanks straped to it. That said I do favor lithium as a plasma propelent. While I tend to hook plasmas to a liquid fuel tank for deep space manuvers I'll have lithium tanks attached and use them for any situation where I need thrust. xenon just isnt worth bringing along and argon is only good for a launch stage most of the time. A couple argon drop tanks can get a heavier vessle high enough for lithium or liquid to finish orbital insertion.

yah, though for roleplaying, I think i prefer monoprop (as being cheaper, correct me if I'm wrong) if i was just making a lift stage. It's about the same as argon for ISP and thrust mulitplier.

Try renaming the probe cores of the impactors after detaching them, that worked for me last time I had that problem.

Actually, i think i pinned it down. I'm going to try quicksave/quickload and see if the reloading proper resets it. I think this will work because I just tried one and it didn't work, but i had quick saved prior to deorbit. Just for giggles I quickloaded and tried again and this time it worked.

Upgraded radiators can get a lot hotter. For upgraded reactors, this is a must. However for unupgraded reactors it has the unfortunate effect of being able to get near the same temp for the reactor thus killing off efficiency. I don't think there is an option to use unupgraded radiators in the VAB but there probably should.

Upgraded radiators are never worse, and unupgraded radiators are never better. The only difference that upgrading makes is that the radiator can reach a higher temperature before shutting down. An unupgraded radiator will overheat and shut down, while an upgraded one will stabilize at higher temperatures. If the equilibrium temperature is close to the temperature of your reactor then you get low generator efficiency. So upgrading your radiators doesn't mean they will be more effective with your low-tech low-temperature reactors.

Short answer: add more radiators. Or upgrade the reactor!

What? Plasma thrusters don't have to be directly connected to the genereator. But the generator does need to be connected to the reactor. You could also connect a generator to one of those microwave thermal receivers. if you really don't want a generator, you could also get away with a microwave power receiver. But you have to have some source of MegaJoules to run the thrusters on. But the thrusters can be anywhere on the ship.

Edit: It occurs to me, that thrusters also need propellant. I think everything but Liquid Fuel and LFO modes do not require fuel lines. If you're trying to use Liquid Fuel or LFO modes though, you will need a path for the fuel to travel as those resources are stack dependant. I like lithium myself as it has a very nice ISP (6000+) and is fairly light. Mining it, however might be a pain.

So far, you sound completely correct, but I remember distinctly setting up a vacuum plasma thruster that wasn't attached to a generator (powered by antimatter, a typical electric AM-drive)