[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I've just restarted playing KSP (since 0.13!); and KSPI looks excellent.

Can anyone tell me how far away from the space centre my "rover" has to be in order not to cause slow down at launch?

S.

Physics objects load at about 2.3km, so if you put it maybe 2.5 or 3 km away, you will be fine.

Started playing with KSPI a few days ago, /really/ fun. I have a few feature requests though:

- You should be able to limit the power consumed from the microwave network on the side of the receiver; Receiving all of the power often over-thrusts and destroys things, like my poor spaceplane which was beaten to a pulp by 200GW of power from an orbiting antimatter reactor...

- Solar panels should fuel electric generators in the same manner that reactors do. This makes sense given that solar panels generate thermal energy that can be transmitted via microwave.

- Since this mod is named "Interstellar", a deep-space science module would be nice. Perhaps something that can be sent out long distance on a probe, and generates more science the further out it goes. (It would probably be important to build this so the alcubierre drive and the module cant mix on the same ship)

- It would be nice to see a fuller spread of sizes on reactors, engines, etc. For example, there's no 3.75m plasma thruster, and no 625mm antimatter reactor.

Just a few thoughts :)

How do you mine with the isru refinery? I've tried a few prototyped mining vehicles around the space center but I'm unable to extract anything. I'd like to set up a lithium refinery to refuel my plasma vessels on Minmus. I can't locate any thorium or uranium with the gamma ray spectrometer either.

It's best to use the gamma ray spectrometer to find some location with high abundance before attempting to mine, otherwise the process can be very slow. Put something in orbit with the GRS so you can find those locations, preferably in a high altitude and inclined orbit so that you have a good field of detection.

On minmus you'll want to go for something water derived for your plasma thruster, so LiquidFuel for complete self-sufficiency or Monopropellant if you can ship the ammonia in.

perhaps someone here can help me; i am looking for a list of mods that are compatible with this one (e.g., access to them in the tech tree is "controlled" by ksp interstellar) as i want this mod to be the "primary" mod in my career mode.

I have looked all over and can find no listing of compatible mods; can someone here help an aspiring kerbonaut? thanx in advance for any assistance.

perhaps someone here can help me; i am looking for a list of mods that are compatible with this one (e.g., access to them in the tech tree is "controlled" by ksp interstellar) as i want this mod to be the "primary" mod in my career mode.

I have looked all over and can find no listing of compatible mods; can someone here help an aspiring kerbonaut? thanx in advance for any assistance.

This mod does not replace stock tech tree nodes. It adds some new nodes to it. So it compatible with mods, that adds techs to stock tech tree nodes.

I guess,you cannot use another TreeLoader config http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58135-TechTree-0-22-Milestone18-Realistic-Progression-LITE-%28Get-on-TreeLoader!%29?highlight=TreeLoader, for example, if you use interstellar treeloader config.

Definitely, interstellar is not compatible with planetfactory (no resources, antimatter collectors and science on new planets). I have tried many mods but no other incompatibilities found.

Is lithium even meant to be available? There's no resource map for it and nothing detects it.

Liquid Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer can detect it. In oceans. No map - it everwhere in any ocean.

The gamma ray spectrometer lists uranium abundance as 0 no matter where I fly it, doesn't display any hotspots, and has two other displays which are only "abundance" and "abundance". Both being empty. I get the feeling something broke at some point

It seems some plugin files was broken. Try redownload it.

I'm running Mechjeb, KAS, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, B9, Infernal Robotics, Navy Fish Docking Port Alignment, Real Chutes, Final Frontier, toolbar, and Kethane. Guess I'll have to go through and see if anything is conflicting.

No incompatibilities with these mods

Edited by SV-ESK

It's not that it's very slow... it's that all my extraction options are listed as offline and I can't even click to try turning them on. I made a vehicle with the isru, large upgraded radiators, 1.25 generator and fission reactor, as well as a microwave receiver connected to a network of 5+GW and empty lithium tanks . The only thing it will let me do is various electrolysis or fuel reprocessing. Is lithium even meant to be available? There's no resource map for it and nothing detects it.

The gamma ray spectrometer lists uranium abundance as 0 no matter where I fly it, doesn't display any hotspots, and has two other displays which are only "abundance" and "abundance". Both being empty. I get the feeling something broke at some point, but I've wiped and reinstalled the latest version of interstellar with no improvement.

I'm running Mechjeb, KAS, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, B9, Infernal Robotics, Navy Fish Docking Port Alignment, Real Chutes, Final Frontier, toolbar, and Kethane. Guess I'll have to go through and see if anything is conflicting.

Ok, I found a minuscule amount of lithium off the coast of the KSC so at least that's working. My gamma ray spectrometer still isn't working though. I wiped and downloaded a fresh copy of KSPI, checked all my mods, verified the game files through steam... But my scout on Minmus still only displays this. http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/469803097764345884/14C5F0261DAA3C941A99C04F4914FF0687F1919B/

Unless I'm doing something blatantly wrong, I thought minmus was supposed to have plenty of radioactive materials.

- You should be able to limit the power consumed from the microwave network on the side of the receiver; Receiving all of the power often over-thrusts and destroys things, like my poor spaceplane which was beaten to a pulp by 200GW of power from an orbiting antimatter reactor...

Fractal has mentioned that he was looking into adding something like this.

- Since this mod is named "Interstellar", a deep-space science module would be nice. Perhaps something that can be sent out long distance on a probe, and generates more science the further out it goes. (It would probably be important to build this so the alcubierre drive and the module cant mix on the same ship)

Have a look at the IR telescope. while you can use it at a low level anywhere to truely unlock its potential you have to send it out to 500ish AU from kerbol. For reference in real life Neptune is out around 30AU. cant get much more interstellar than that without haveing other solar systems to visit.

- It would be nice to see a fuller spread of sizes on reactors, engines, etc. For example, there's no 3.75m plasma thruster, and no 625mm antimatter reactor.

Sometimes the limiting factor is modeling for why parts come in only a few sizes. Untill the last update we didnt have fusions above 1.25 because the moddles looked really bad just scaled up. Other times fractal limits things based on theoretical limits to the proposed tech. While I'm not sure why there isnt a larger plasma thruster it is possible that he determined the AM reactor could not be minaturized any further and still be strong enough to contain the reaction inside. Either that or he's waiting on a new model.

You see the hotspots in the planet itself. I can't remember was it in map view or normal view, but that's easy to check.

You can see minmus in the background of my screenshot. Going off of the wiki image for the gamma ray spectrometer, I should see hotspots on the surface from ship view (I've checked map view as well). I've orbited at varying altitudes from 17km-300km but the results are always the same. Broken readouts and no hotspots. I'm pretty much stumped. I've spent hours trying to get it to work because I've been setting up kethane mining and microwave relay networks and wanted to add Interstellar fuels and resources to the infrastructure

You can see minmus in the background of my screenshot. Going off of the wiki image for the gamma ray spectrometer, I should see hotspots on the surface from ship view (I've checked map view as well). I've orbited at varying altitudes from 17km-300km but the results are always the same. Broken readouts and no hotspots. I'm pretty much stumped. I've spent hours trying to get it to work because I've been setting up kethane mining and microwave relay networks and wanted to add Interstellar fuels and resources to the infrastructure

Several possibilities: you might have installed the addon incorrectly; check that you have a GameData/WarpPlugin directory, rather than a GameData/GameData/WarpPlugin. This is a surprisingly common failure mode.

You might also be using a texture compression mod that inadvertently breaks the images KSPI uses to store the resource abundances. I did see that the latest version of the BoulderCo texture compressor mod includes an exception for KSPI, so you may just need to update.

That said, the fact that the menu items are all incorrect is a good indication that the addon has thrown an exception and failed to update them. Hit control-F2 to pull up the console and see if there are any errors reported there; that may help narrow it down.

Yes! It was BoulderCo's active texture management mod. I had completely forgotten about it and passed it over thinking it was a parts pack. I updated to the latest version and my gamma ray spectrometer is functioning perfectly. Thank you!

Yes! It was BoulderCo's active texture management mod. I had completely forgotten about it and passed it over thinking it was a parts pack. I updated to the latest version and my gamma ray spectrometer is functioning perfectly. Thank you!

You're welcome :)

trying to wrap my head around the DC electric output of the reactors. Everything in ksp talks about ec/s while everything in interstellar talks about KW. Watt is a measure of power while ec/s is a measure of current so what is the relationship? I need to generate 50ec/s to transmit so how much power to I need from the reactor and generator and how is KW converted to ec/s???

trying to wrap my head around the DC electric output of the reactors. Everything in ksp talks about ec/s while everything in interstellar talks about KW. Watt is a measure of power while ec/s is a measure of current so what is the relationship? I need to generate 50ec/s to transmit so how much power to I need from the reactor and generator and how is KW converted to ec/s???

In the real world current in and of itself is useless unless you know the voltage, resistance or watts. In KSP 1 KW/s = 1 ec/s.

I are going to make a guess here: [W]=[J/s] or Energy (joule) / time unit (second). KSP uses E/s or E/min where E is a energy unit, because Kerbal is not earth it make sense not to use Earth units.

TL;DR = E/s=W

I am having trouble getting the Antimatter Initiated Reactor to work. It keeps saying "Status: Resource Deprived". I have TAC Fuel Balancer which lets you edit the fuel level of ships on the Launch pad, so I filled up an Antimatter container since the detains show it uses Antimatter. The fuel of Deuterium and Uranium are slowly used when I time accelerate but the Status remains unchanged. I doesn't produce any power and Charged Particles drain away when filled up using TAC. I even tried putting a fuel line from the AM Container into the Reactor but no luck.

The reactor is using D/U up but produces no power.

@Spyre: Had the same issue until I added a container for Helium-3. Not sure why but even after filling the internal He3 hold of the reactor it still showed Resource Deprived. Having an extra Antimatter containment vessel won't hurt; but I didn't run into issues with it once I added the He-3 radial hexcan (I hadn't yet gotten to adding an extra Antimatter containment vessel to check if that was an issue; and the He-3 hexcan remained empty; just needed to have the part on the craft as I filled the internal He3 reserve of the reactor).

Hello i recently installed this mod and have all over the place looking to see how everything works....and after about a week i can see that i am missing a lot of stuff...i dont have the Hexcans im missing the Experimental Electrics and the Microwave beam Transmitters....and im not sure in the Hexcans are used in .23 but i need a Methane tank at least for the Booster that uses Ldmethane Plz help

Hello i recently installed this mod and have all over the place looking to see how everything works....and after about a week i can see that i am missing a lot of stuff...i dont have the Hexcans im missing the Experimental Electrics and the Microwave beam Transmitters....and im not sure in the Hexcans are used in .23 but i need a Methane tank at least for the Booster that uses Ldmethane Plz help

You have installed the mod incorrectly. The most common mistake is having two GameData folders, you should have the WarpPlugin, OpenResourceSystem and TreeLoader folders inside your KSP/GameData folder. If you don't, it won't work.

- Solar panels should fuel electric generators in the same manner that reactors do. This makes sense given that solar panels generate thermal energy that can be transmitted via microwave.

From the wiki:

A third option is to use solar power satellites. In general, solar panels will not produce large amounts of power in orbit around Kerbin, and so LKO solar power plants are a novelty at berst. However, thanks to the inverse square law, if you can send a satellite into a low solar orbit, it will produce a very large amount of power. A satellite with just 2 gigantors can match the output of an un-upgraded 1.25m fission reactor/generator combo in a 500 Mm orbit around Kerbol. By placing very large satellites in low-Kerbol orbit, large amounts of free electricity can be collected and transmitted, with the added advantage of always knowing that you can point your receivers towards the sun for maximum power output.

It's entirely possible to send a big solar satellite to low Koerbol orbit and, given enough radiators, any generator attached will send out power (obviously, you'll need a transceiver as well..) Might be helpful to test in in Kerbin orbit first, make sure it all works.

I wouldn't recommend going the low-Kerbol orbit way, they just don't generate enough compared to a power station. To even get to low Kerbol orbits you'll likely use either ion or plasma since by the time you have the Vesta engine you also have upgraded reactors.