[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Can someone link me to an explained tech tree where ALL of the parts for this mod are achieved and not just the MOST OP OF THE PARTS.

Ahem...Sorry, I had something in my throat, must be my throat seizing up while I get angry over the fact that I can't tell where each part of this mod is on the tech tree when I really need something very important, only to find out that I have to either ask questions here, or spend the next three days unlocking EVERYTHING.

I'm aiming towards questions.

Is it possible for me to mine XenonGas from a planet's atmosphere, or do none do that? You know what, it should also be done that you can get helium and hydrogen in Kerbol's EXTREMELY LOW orbit. Makes sense, cause you know, it's a star, made of hydrogen and helium. It'd be heavy He-4, though.

Alright, off to remake the power flower and launch inot low Kerbol orbit. :I

Trying to harvest hydrogen from a star's corona would be a Very Bad Idea, considering it is actually hotter than the surface of the star itself.

Not inside the corona...you can't get that close to kerbol...can you?

No no, you see, there is always something coming from a star because, you know, nuclear reactions at the core. Well, hydrogen and helium are the main components in this. Whats to say that the force of the very reactions behind some of the atoms themselves pushes them out of the star itself? I mean, there is a high chance that since it's basically a ball of fire, and that it is very large, giving it a strong gravitational pull, then they might not get out at all, but if they do, there would be an unseeable cloud surrounding the star. Of course, mining it would be a very tedious task, considering the rate would be low, but it could work, cause, ya know, free stuff is free. Anyway, I think of the star as a constantly exploding mass that contains itself.

Is it possible for me to mine XenonGas from a planet's atmosphere, or do none do that? You know what, it should also be done that you can get helium and hydrogen in Kerbol's EXTREMELY LOW orbit. Makes sense, cause you know, it's a star, made of hydrogen and helium. It'd be heavy He-4, though.

Well there is some solar mass that gets ejected all the time from a star. However I dont think trying to harvest material directly from a coronal mass ejection would be a partiuclarly safe prospect even if you had a good way to predict when and where one would occure. You could try to harvest the aftermath but that cloud is going to disperse awfuly fast if it does not just fall back into the star. Not sure you'd get any useful amounts of material unless you invested alot of infrustructer in somehow containing and directing ejections

Ahem...Sorry, I had something in my throat, must be my throat seizing up while I get angry over the fact that I can't tell where each part of this mod is on the tech tree when I really need something very important, only to find out that I have to either ask questions here, or spend the next three days unlocking EVERYTHING.

I'm aiming towards questions.

This might've gotten lost, the thread moves fast:

In the stock tree:

The nuclear reactors and thermal rockets are in Nuclear Propulsion.

There's an intanke precooler in the Supersonic Flight node.

The thermal turbojets and atmospheric intakes are in High Altitude Flight.

The atmospheric scoops are in Hypersonic Flight.

The Phased Array Microwave Transceiver is in Specialized Electrics; this is not the foldout one.

The fixed radiators are in Advanced Electrics.

The generators and foldout radiators are in Large Electrics.

The accelerometer remains in Electronics, where it is joined by the Gamma ray Spectrometer, the Magnetometer, the IR telescope, and the cryostat modules

The atmospheric/oceanic spectrometers, refineries, and science lab are in Advanced Science Tech

Beyond that, Fractal added several nodes, hence the tree.cfg file. These nodes contain the following items:

http://i.imgur.com/55xVHqY.png

Additionally, two Methane tanks and an engine are in Experimental Rocketry, which is revealed after unlocking Very Heavy Rocketry.

If I missed anything, lemme know.

I've got a question, since i updated the mod i can't find the atmospheric intakes, the ones you use with the thermal turbojet, i checked High Altitude Flight, they´re unlocked but not showing up in the VAB or the plane thingie.

I've got a question, since i updated the mod i can't find the atmospheric intakes, the ones you use with the thermal turbojet, i checked High Altitude Flight, they´re unlocked but not showing up in the VAB or the plane thingie.

They were made unselectable in the VAB a few updates ago, you can use any intake (stock or modded) now.

Another question, I'm trying to set up a base on duna with a methane rocket to connect it to my space station. However I've never managed to get the sabatier process to work. I cheated just now, got a ship with a nuclear reactor/generator with the inline refinery thingie as well as an empty methane tank (inline) and the small activated airscoop (the futuristic one) and 3 tanks of water. I start the process but it wont create fuel for some reason (I've started the airscoop and made sure it's set to CO2). It just says 0 CH4 produced/day

Update: I just realized i had to funnel resources to the refinery (at least the way i build it right now) so I've filled the refinery tank with water but there's no flow through the atmosphere scoop

Update 2: I just retried it with the regular ramscoop, intake seems to work, i get 0.04 IntakeAtm but still no working sabatier

If someone could give me a rundown on how to make this work it would be great, I'm at my wits end. It's probably me missing some small but oh so crucial piece of information

SUCCESS: Ok so I finally managed to get it to work, again, I feel stupid, Liquid fuel, of you sly ******* you. So i needed that as well to make methane and oxidizer which meant that I first had to electrolyze water and THEN do the sabatier process. Could someone tell me how this is more efficient than just bringing fuel and oxidizer from kerbin instead? as far as i understand it i need to lugg liquid fuel and water to make it anyway

Edited by Kidneythump

-snip-

So i needed that as well to make methane and oxidizer which meant that I first had to electrolyze water and THEN do the sabatier process. Could someone tell me how this is more efficient than just bringing fuel and oxidizer from kerbin instead? as far as i understand it i need to lugg liquid fuel and water to make it anyway

If you plan your missions carefully, you may bring only empty canisters to save weight and just enough fuel to land. If I remember correctly, the "big refinery" can mine resources, the linear can not. So you land, mine water/ice, electrolyze, collect CO2, start Sabatier, and in the end you get Methane + Oxydiser for lift-off & journey home.

I might be wrong because I haven't really used this (Vista is way too overpowered to use anything else), so if I'm telling nonsense please correct me, but I think this is how it's supposed to work.

Also pay attention to how you set up fuel lines, the refinery produces fuel by draining negative amounts, so you need lines from tank towards refinery.

Eh, while the Vista is by far the best engine for interplanetary travel once its unlocked, it's not a particularly good landing engine given it has a fairly poor TWR if its not beam-powered, lacks gimbaling capacity (which is bad because any craft using a vista tends to be extremely heavy), and can't be used within 2.5 km of other craft.

I don't think the Vista is OP. You can get tons of delta-v and even more thrust with a decent microwave network and plasma thrusters. You won't get 50+k dV like Vista, but it will be in the tens still. Besides, you need a lot of science to unlock it, once you get there you probably know how to fly and play the game anyway. KSPI is end-game stuff, making you feel like a powerful space program. All those hours that went into getting science and placing satellites is getting rewarded with this mod.

I don't think the Vista is OP. You can get tons of delta-v and even more thrust with a decent microwave network and plasma thrusters. You won't get 50+k dV like Vista, but it will be in the tens still.

Actualy I've got a couple of designs for plasma thrusters with beamed power that are up over 50k dV and they'd go higher if I was willing to either neuter the TWR or comit to shorter burns and longer cooldowns by haveing fewer radiators or just send a lighter payload. I just launched a horibly out of phase duna impactor mission with about 12k spent from LKO. the intercept is slated for 24 days and will happen in a spot that is a few degrees from being eclipsed by kerbol from kerbins current location. still have the dV to slow down at the other end with probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my fuel tank left :P gota love being able to get away with direct burns.

Speaking of direct burns and crazy dV I also launched a minmus mission to visit several biomes and then return. If all goes acording to plan it will soft land on minmus with ~2 hours on the mission timer :P

I have been searching through this forum trying to figure out how to use reprocessing. There is something I am missing and I'm not finding it by searching the thread. I have a really basic setup. A 1.25m fission reactor, a 1.25m generator, radiators, and a science lab. This module is connected to a small space station with solar panels, batteries, and is powered. The reactor built up actinides, ran out of UF4, and shutdown. I let it radiate the last of its waste heat, and Kerbals are able to interact with it.

When I right-click on the science lab and click the reprocess option, the antennas pop out, fold back in, and that's all that happens. I built up another rocket with a refinery and a UF4 tank, and I docked the two together. When I right-click on the refinery and click the reprocess option, it just says it cannot reprocess the fuel. None of the right-click options for Kerbals do anything.

So...is there just something broken in the add-on, or I am doing something wrong?

"

Can someone pass by me the fuels you can collect in planet atmospheres, and from the planets by collecting water/mining?

The easiest thing to do is look at "GameData - WarpPlugin - PlanetResourceData" (the PNG files show the location of the resources, so if it's got a PNG for a resource then it has the resource) for planet resources and "GameData - OpenResourceSystem - PlanetResourceData - atmosphericresourcedefinitions.cfg" for atmospheric resources.

Edited by smurphy34

Try clicking "reprocess nuclear fuel" twice.

Also you do not need to shutdown reactor to reprocess fuel, but you need some power and tank for depleted fuels (UF4 or ThF4 tank).

Hmmm, I have clicked the reprocess button on the science lab and refinery a bunch of times.

How much power is needed (sorry if that is in the descriptions, I don't have Kerbal running)? Right now, since the reactor shut down, I am only getting power from 8 big solar panels and a bunch of batteries. Do the UF4 tank, refinery, science lab, reactor, etc. all have to be connected directly, or is it OK to have them connected via docking ports and scaffolding?

Basically, I have one of those six-sided joints with docking ports and scaffolding holding one module with the science lab, reactor, and generator together with another module that has a big fuel tank, the refinery, and a UF4 tank. There are also some other random modules with batteries, the solar panels, etc.