[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Working to make the tooltips a bit more helpful. Added tech requirements for upgrades. Might add comma delineation if I can. And maybe converting consumption to units instead of kgs. I would like some feedback about anything that any of you find confusing about the tooltips or issues with readability.

jdxL7Le.png

Working to make the tooltips a bit more helpful. Added tech requirements for upgrades. Might add comma delineation if I can. And maybe converting consumption to units instead of kgs. I would like some feedback about anything that any of you find confusing about the tooltips or issues with readability.

http://i.imgur.com/jdxL7Le.png

I have a lot of feedback regarding the current tooltips! In no particular order:

- The computer core needs more info, I would add in info that it is for the advanced IR telescopes and that you can use it to research like with the science lab

- The Helium Cryostat should specifically say that it is NOT for fusion

- The IR telescope should mention that it needs Helium Cryostat, and I would like to know how much cryostat it will use.

- The Science Lab could mention that it is used for anti-matter and dueterium production, research, and nuclear fuel reprocessing

- The microwave beamed power receiver should replace the word "Solar" with "Thermal" it its description

- The atmospheric scoops could use more info on what resource they actually collect

- only the small anti-matter bottle says how much antimatter it holds, while the other antimatter in line containers do not.

- All the electric generators have the same stats, I don't know what the difference is between them besides their size and weight, but if there is, a tool tip would help.

- Finally, do electric generators need to be connected directly to a reactor? Any part which is required to be connected to another part in order for them to work together should have a tool tip saying as much.

This works just fine!

But..... If you go through and look at the tool tips for squads engines, you'll notice that they separate the propellant usage (propellants) from the rest of the part stats with its own green headline. They also put a minus symbol infront of the fuel and oxidizer. The minus symbol does help A LOT for organization. To keep everything homogeneous with how squad organized things, I would seperate the part inputs from the rest of the part stats. That way, its very clear what all you need to put into a part, and what you are getting out of it.

For example, here is how I would re-arrange the part above:

FNFusion Reactor

Total Power: ......

Core temp: ......

Reactants

-Power Requirement

-D/T Max consumption rate

The D-T tokomak line could be removed, its not an actual stat for the game, and the part description clearly states what the part is.

Also, put the most important info, in this care total power, first.

I am not experiencing the reported problems with the Alcubierre drive - I can do Micro jumps (especially with action groups) without any difficulty.

Could be a performance thing? What kind of specs are having problems?

ya I read that, looked at your avatar and nearly had a spit take. What could go wrong with droping half a kilo of antimater onto a planet. Its not like that much could crack the planet open like an egg.

That's actually only about 10 Megatons of TNT. Well 20 Mt, but about half of that will be radiated as neutrinos.

This works just fine!

But..... If you go through and look at the tool tips for squads engines, you'll notice that they separate the propellant usage (propellants) from the rest of the part stats with its own green headline. They also put a minus symbol infront of the fuel and oxidizer. The minus symbol does help A LOT for organization. To keep everything homogeneous with how squad organized things, I would seperate the part inputs from the rest of the part stats. That way, its very clear what all you need to put into a part, and what you are getting out of it.

For example, here is how I would re-arrange the part above:

FNFusion Reactor

Total Power: ......

Core temp: ......

Reactants

-Power Requirement

-D/T Max consumption rate

The D-T tokomak line could be removed, its not an actual stat for the game, and the part description clearly states what the part is.

Also, put the most important info, in this care total power, first.

The little boxes you see on the tooltip are actually bits of text in the config file called NODE. This NODE in particular is a type called MODULE, which are compiled bits of c# in a .dll somewhere. For instance, most engines use the ModuleEngines MODULE, which has several configurable parameters. RESOURCE is another, that is what handles the resources displayed on the tooltip as well as what resources are available to a vessel and how it flows around the vessel. In our case, you can see the name of the module for the reactor, which is a c# class contained within the warpplugin.dll. The tooltips are actually generated in the module itself. Maybe in the future more of this information will be made configurable in the part file with a separate module that handles upgrades, but for now I'm just concerned with getting the information displayed within the game instead of referring to a picture in the thread OP or Wiki.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I have some small proposition for extension of KSPI resource system... Magnetic ram intakes for gatherng resources from planetary atmosphere while orbiting over it. Hydrogen (liquid fuel) from Jool, Oxygen from Laythe.

This woudl be top tier technology, consuming vast amount of energy and eqiupment woudl be very heavy.

Edited by kiwiak

I have some small proposition for extension of KSPI resource system... Magnetic ram intakes for gatherng resources from planetary atmosphere while orbiting over it. Hydrogen (liquid fuel) from Jool, Oxygen from Laythe.

This woudl be top tier technology, consuming vast amount of energy and exiupment woudl be very heavy.

The atmospheric scoops do this. They are located in the aerodynamic tab. There are 2 sizes each of inline and radial versions.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I am not experiencing the reported problems with the Alcubierre drive - I can do Micro jumps (especially with action groups) without any difficulty.

Could be a performance thing? What kind of specs are having problems?

Found the culprit!

This is actually caused by KJR (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement). KJR seems to halt physics for a moment when switching in an out of Rails to stabilize the vessel and during that time menus are apparently not available.

A test without KJR lets me do sub-second jumps without problem.

I guess I'll ask ferram4 if something can be done about this. It may even solve itself with the new joints from 0.24.

The atmospheric scoops do this. They are located in the aerodynamic tab. There are 2 sizes each of inline and radial versions.

He's referring to a scoop that doesn't require being in an atmosphere, but in low orbit, and requires tons of power to operate.

Found the culprit!

This is actually caused by KJR (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement). KJR seems to halt physics for a moment when switching in an out of Rails to stabilize the vessel and during that time menus are apparently not available./QUOTE]

Can confirm - coming out of warp, KJR 'stabilises physics load' and no 1x warp actions are available (thrusting, right click to Science!, turning etc). Hope it's fixed/made better in the next release, either from ferram or Squad.

Ok, so playing with the ISRU.

I have noticed that many of the processes continue to consume resources even after all storage is filled. Can this be changed so that it stops consumption once storage is filled and does not resume until space is made.

Also would it be possible to make a 3.5m using the 2.5m Radial and give it all the abilities of the dome refinery.

I put up a hacked version of KJR over here (licensed GPL3, of course).

KJR puts up an input lock during the physics settling phase, I completely removed this lockout.

I have no idea in which horrible ways this will murder your game, your ships or even KJR itself, but on a simple test ship I could toggle warp instantly.

Since I'm quite sure ferram4 didn't put that lock in just for funsies, expect something to break down the line.

Ok, so playing with the ISRU.

I have noticed that many of the processes continue to consume resources even after all storage is filled. Can this be changed so that it stops consumption once storage is filled and does not resume until space is made.

Also would it be possible to make a 3.5m using the 2.5m Radial and give it all the abilities of the dome refinery.

I've personally tweaked the inline refinery with module manager to have the extraction functions of the ISRU until we get a decently useable isru model, or separate extractor parts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B104ElDISihIS1pGRzNfLThORzA/edit?usp=sharing

I put all of my MM files and modified parts into a separate folder of my own so that they don't get mixed up with downloaded mods.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

thought I would post about the start of my base using this mod and the Kethane Mod, both are fantastic in my opinion.

Theres 4 “arms†folded upward with the drills attached on powered hinges, when deployed they fold down with legs to make a “X†shape base, everything is tightly packed in the centre, RCS, thermal radiators, solar, control

screenshot1.png

Orbital Solar array (simple design much like the one displayed earlier in this thread)

screenshot4.png

Drill rig fully deployed.

screenshot5.png

Magnometers do not have the capability to take the data and put into command pod. would be nice if there was a way to do so, had to take a very heavy lander and land it back on kerbin. although I'm glad Jebediah was the pilot.

Magnometers do not have the capability to take the data and put into command pod. would be nice if there was a way to do so, had to take a very heavy lander and land it back on kerbin. although I'm glad Jebediah was the pilot.

Use this file for the magnetometer.

https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/blob/master/GameData/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/DTMagnetometer/part.cfg

I'm having an issue calculating the tritium breed rate for the new tooltips. I think that I've worked out that is based on the reactors current thermal energy production, sorta, but the numbers don't line up exactly. I guess the fundamental problem that I'm having is that I have no idea what the units for tritiumBreedRate are. My goal endpoint is to have either a max theoretical breed rate (/day) value or better, an unit/GW value. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The 0.6f is there as a hack right now for maximum carnot efficiency, but even that theoretical value comes up slightly short of the INFLIGHT tooltip.

public override string GetInfo() {
float deut_rate_per_day = resourceRate * 86400;
float up_deut_rate_per_day = upgradedResourceRate * 86400;
float up_deut_he3_rate_per_day = upgradedResourceRate * 86400 / 13.25f;
float up_he3_rate_per_day = upgradedResourceRate * 86400 / 17;
float vab_tritium_breed_rate = 0.6f * ThermalPower / 1000.0f / GameConstants.tritiumBreedRate * 86400;
float vab_up_tritium_breed_rate = 0.6f * upgradedThermalPower / 1000.0f / GameConstants.tritiumBreedRate * 86400;
if (isTokomak) {
return String.Format("[Base Part Information]\nPart Name: {0}\nCore Temperature: {1:n0}K\nTotal Power Output: {2:n0}MW\nPower Requirement: {8}MW\nFuel Modes Available:\n- Deuterium/Tritium\n\n[Deuterium/Tritium Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {3}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Thermal Power Output: 80%\n- Charged Particles: 20%\n\n[Upgraded Part Information]\nScience Tech Required:\n- Antimatter Power\nPart Name: {4}\nCore Temperature: {5:n0}K\nTotal Power Output: {6:n0}MW\nPower Requirement: {8}MW\nFuel Modes Available:\n- Deuterium/Tritium\n- Deuterium/Helium-3\n- He-3\n\n[Deuterium/Tritium Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {7}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Thermal Power Output: 80%\n- Charged Particles: 20%\n\n[Deuterium/He-3 Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {9}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Thermal Power Output: 21%\n- Charged Particles: 79%\n\n[He-3 Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {10}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Charged Particles: 100%\n\n" + vab_tritium_breed_rate + "\n" + vab_up_tritium_breed_rate, originalName, ReactorTemp, ThermalPower, deut_rate_per_day, upgradedName, upgradedReactorTemp, upgradedThermalPower, up_deut_rate_per_day, powerRequirements, up_deut_he3_rate_per_day, up_he3_rate_per_day);
} else {
return String.Format("[Base Part Information]\nPart Name: {0}\nCore Temperature: {1:n0}K\nTotal Power Output: {2:n0}MW\nPower Requirement: {8}MW\nFuel Modes Available:\n- Deuterium/Tritium\n\n[Deuterium/Tritium Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {3}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Thermal Power Output: 80%\n- Charged Particles: 20%\n\n[Upgraded Part Information]\nScience Tech Required:\n- Antimatter Power\nPart Name: {4}\nCore Temperature: {5:n0}K\nTotal Power Output: {6:n0}MW\nPower Requirement: {8}MW\nFuel Modes Available:\n- Deuterium/Tritium\n- Deuterium/Helium-3\n- He-3\n\n[Deuterium/Tritium Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {7}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Thermal Power Output: 80%\n- Charged Particles: 20%\n\n[Deuterium/He-3 Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {9}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Thermal Power Output: 21%\n- Charged Particles: 79%\n\n[He-3 Fuel Mode]\nConsumption Rate (Max):\n- {10}Kg/day\nPower Output Ratio:\n- Charged Particles: 100%", originalName, ReactorTemp, ThermalPower, deut_rate_per_day, upgradedName, upgradedReactorTemp, upgradedThermalPower, up_deut_rate_per_day, powerRequirements, up_deut_he3_rate_per_day, up_he3_rate_per_day);
}
}

I realize that it is probably going to be something really dumb, but I'm learning as I go so I don't mind being corrected. :)

Edited by WaveFunctionP