[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

eRe4s3r's Sunflare Mod

Thanks to mushroomman's superb Planet textures with clouds... we now have reached proper quality levels to do Space Engine style sun-flares, smooth and slick that is with a glow that is not trying to kill all your eyecells ;)

This is how the game looks after you completed the 6 steps of Geekness (And installed one of the great texture packs linked in the first post ;p)

6tsjlBe.jpg

And in case you forgot, this -> http://i.imgur.com/cgvtcb7.jpg is what you have to suffer through if you are on native sunflares

You can download the dds file for this sunflare replacement here as zipped archive (DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT EDITING ASSETS FILE MANUALLY) Read the step by step guide carefully.

#######################################

License

You can edit and hack and modify this new flare texture however you wish. I claim no license or copyright for it - it's free for all, and for everything.

Download

http://filesmelt.com/dl/eRe4s3rs_Sunflare.zip

Install instruction

Because of questions... STEP BY STEP , 6 steps, to be exact ;p

0) Make a copy of sharedassets10.assets and copy it somewhere safe. This is your backup.

1) Download UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2

Unity Assets Explorer

and unpack it to a location you can FIND AGAIN ** IMPORTANT ** ;P

2) Start UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2 find your sharedassets10.assets file somewhere there -> Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data or just Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data if you have normal KSP (not on steam)

3) hit "extract all" wait till "Done"

OR

3) You can also just extract the sun_flare.tex manually (be sure "convert to dds is checked) from the sharedassets10.assets file, you don't have to extract all, this is probably a good idea if you don't intent to close the tool while doing steps 4 and 5, and a lot faster) Since you can essentially do it in 1 go... but it requires you to actually find it, extract it, overwrite it with mine, and then "import" it back into the assets.

4) Download my little lensflare retexture http://filesmelt.com/dl/eRe4s3rs_Sunflare.zip and unpack it somewhere where you can find it

5) Place my sun_flare.tex.dds into the folder (named sharedassets10) that was created when you hit extract_all (or manual extracted the sun_flare.tex) and overwrite the sun_flare.tex.dds one that's in there.

6) Now Start UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2 find your sharedassets10.assets again. This time, you are looking for the file with the name sun_flare.tex | Hit "Sort" a few times until *.mat files are sorted on-top (because tex files are sorted right below them, so little scrolling is involved if you sort it right) you can also sort by name I guess, your choice..)

Now once you found it right click on it (Here screenshot to help you understand what I mean)

aOuNZQ0.jpg

once "Done" appears, hit save, and you succesfully modified a file you are not supposed to modify, congrats ;p

Now start KSP and everything should be working ;P

Thanks go to Tingle for bringing me on track as to how exactly to do this. This is one of the few textures the universe replacer can not actually replace and requires manual editing skills.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Ah.. I am talking about texture dimensions ;P 4k is 4096 pixels ;)

Anyhow, thanks to mushroomman's superb Kerbin texture... we now have reached proper quality levels to do this

6tsjlBe.jpg

(And yes, I know we are missing certain lense distortion effects there!) ;P

You can download the dds file for this sunflare replacement here (DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT EDITING ASSETS FILE)

http://filesmelt.com/dl/sun_flare.tex_.dds

To use it, you need to grab the tool Tingle linked called UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2

Open the sharedassets10.assets und extract it to wherever you have that app installed

then copy this sun_flare.tex_.dds where you extracted the bunch of files from assets10

back in UnityAssetsExplorer you now have to find the entry for sun_flare.tex in the still open sharedassets10.assets, right click on it, and select "Import this file from DDS"

Once "done" appears, you can now save the sharedassets10.assets and replace the assorted texture.

Make backup of your sharedassets10.assets file. This file is important, without it KSP will not run ;p You can edit my custom made flare however you want! And spread it, and whatever else. I don't care. If there is demand I can also make the sunflare blue ;p ought to look interesting...

Could you post a before/after comparison? It's difficult for me to see what exactly in the screenshot results from the modification, and what was already there.

Could you post a before/after comparison? It's difficult for me to see what exactly in the screenshot results from the modification, and what was already there.

Sure ;) Although I figure anyone annoyed by the native sun-flare sees the difference instantly......

This is how the original lens-flare looks, only change is that 1 dds file ;P

cgvtcb7.jpg

Basically, I redid the flare to be much, much smoother in it's glow. And reduced the center density of the white drastically. This allows the sun to shine through somewhat. It creates a nice soft glow when close to planets in the distance or terrain which is what I wanted ;p

Sure ;) Although I figure anyone annoyed by the native sun-flare sees the difference instantly......

This is how the original lens-flare looks, only change is that 1 dds file ;P

cgvtcb7.jpg

Basically, I redid the flare to be much, much smoother in it's glow. And reduced the center density of the white drastically. This allows the sun to shine through somewhat. It creates a nice soft glow when close to planets in the distance or terrain which is what I wanted ;p

Thanks a lot. :)

Now I'm eagerly waiting for a release from Mushroomman, and I'll have a KSP game graphically more impressive than Space Engine. :D

[Edit] Wonderful! Thanks Mushroomman!

I'm making my own. I'm almost done with Kerbin and I'll release it. Heck I'll even throw in a version without clouds for other people to edit.

Once I rip out Eve, Duna, and Laythe I'll add clouds to them as well.

Kerbin definitely needs clouds, and I suppose the other planets would look nicer for it too (in the proper proportions).

eRe4s3r, we have to rename sun_flare.tex_.dds in sun_flare.tex.dds (and backup the original file before) before "Import from DDS", right?

Oh *my* god ;) You are right.. stupid filesmelt changed the filename! yes. You need to rename the downloaded file to sun_flare.tex.dds

I updated the post with detailed instructions

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44135-0-21-x-Universe-Replacer?p=577857&viewfull=1#post577857

People who got my sunflare as dds from filesmelt, you gotta rename it from sun_flare.tex_.dds to sun_flare.tex.dds

I uploaded a proper zip archive now (So you won't get a wrongly named file anymore starting now). That's what happens when you don't pay attention.. sigh

Sorry everyone for the confusion !

Edited by eRe4s3r

Must... have... those... suits.

The next version will officially support Kerbals, maybe even multiple Kerbal faces and EVA suits if i can get it working. Sadly it would be random who gets what face and suit - but better than no variation at all ^^.

The next version will officially support Kerbals, maybe even multiple Kerbal faces and EVA suits if i can get it working. Sadly it would be random who gets what face and suit - but better than no variation at all ^^.

Isn't there one model and texture for EVA Kerbals?

Random suits and faces would be a *feature* imo ;p

Ah.. I am very happy now ^^ With mushroomman planets, rareden Skybox and fixed sunflare I am now in visual bliss, we achieved near space-engine visual quality, and that in just what, 5 days? What else is there to even fix? Apart from the ground textures.

For this plugin I will even not update Kethane until that works nice together. The improvement is just too drastic.

See I am so impressed with the visuals that I even forgot how to count properly ;P