[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

If you are thinking about awesome features, consider adding a 'system' that would take a single skybox image file and convert it into 6 working skybox files :cool:

I imagine that would be really hard, but who knows, maybe one day... :wink:

Oh, and if there will be multiple suits/faces feature, would they be assigned for specific Kerbal or more like randomized every time?

If you are thinking about awesome features, consider adding a 'system' that would take a single skybox image file and convert it into 6 working skybox files :cool:

Oh, and if there will be multiple suits/faces feature, would they be assigned for specific Kerbal or more like randomized every time?

Since there have been cube skyboxes since the dawn of 3D games... you will easily find a couple tools that do that for you with a little googleing :P

I want to report another mod incompatibility* ,)

*maybe, someone please test this....

When using ProceduralDynamics ie -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29862-0-21-Procedural-Dynamics-Procedural-Wing-0-5 my frame rate goes down from 60 (fixed) to less than 20, and I mean in the main menu. Removing this 1 mod, restart, and it's all working fine and smooth. No idea why....

This only happens when UniverseReplacer is active. Removing UniverseReplacer but letting ProceduralDynamics load = no slow-down. Vice versa the same. Only both together = slowdown (drastically)

I notice this now because I was testing my edits with just replacer and native parts. Kethane 0.74 works fine by the way.

I want to report another mod incompatibility* ,)

*maybe, someone please test this....

When using ProceduralDynamics ie -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29862-0-21-Procedural-Dynamics-Procedural-Wing-0-5 my frame rate goes down from 60 (fixed) to less than 20, and I mean in the main menu. Removing this 1 mod, restart, and it's all working fine and smooth. No idea why....

This only happens when UniverseReplacer is active. Removing UniverseReplacer but letting ProceduralDynamics load = no slow-down. Vice versa the same. Only both together = slowdown (drastically)

I notice this now because I was testing my edits with just replacer and native parts. Kethane 0.74 works fine by the way.

Might be on your end. I've got both and have no problems.

Might be on your end. I've got both and have no problems.

Interesting, I retried, and this happens only when I let KSP load windowed in the background and then switch in the main-menu once it's loaded.. mark this as another "huh?" kind of issue. So .. just weirdness

Would they be assigned for specific Kerbal or more like randomized every time?

I don't know the details of modding KSP, but it may be possible to feed the Kerbal's name in as the seed to a random generator which then would produce a unique face/body/suit/whatever for that Kerbal which would be the same every time.

Then modify the algorithm to make Jeb look like a badass, and who cares what the rest of them look like? :cool:

Before I get anyone's hopes up or rumors start spreading about Kerbal textures, I'll explain whats up and why certain stuff won't work.

So first off, there are 3 space suits, the EVA, IVA-Veteran(orange) and IVA-Standard(grey) - and then there is one face.

I spent about 14h straight looking for a way to identify the EVA and Face "wearer", but with no luck because there is only one material with no reference to it anyway except on the 'mesh' objects (which are in local space, so I can't find the 'closest Kerbal' or anything like that) - which have no identifier on them that could tell me who they belong too. But considering I can find the different mesh objects, I can tell each one to use a different material, but this would be random, resulting in a 'variety pack'-style feature loading a random face and EVA suit onto a kerbal.

Now to the IVA suits, with the new astronaut system the devs have added, each Kerbal has a reference to the standard and veteran suit he wears - which means I could add Kerbal specific IVA suits. But the question here is, do you guys really want that? Because you can only see the IVA inside the crew modules and I don't know when KSP will add interactive and walkable environments inside crew modules... So it would be rather useless at the moment.

Edited by Tingle

I wouldn't say I don't want it, but I think it should be low on the priorities list.

Also, do you think you could add my planet textures to the OP?

Send me a PM with the a link to the post what name your pack should carry, this way you can edit your post and update it independently as often as you like.

Edited by Tingle

Does the sunflare replacement also qualify for that? Although it's more piggybacking on this mod as a fancy extra for geeks because you made me curious how to do it after saying you can't do it with the plugin ;P

Anyhow... I'll be looking for more gfx stuff to twiddle and tweak. ^^

It's been posted many times and you can find it here. http://home.comcast.net/~darendash/CubeTheSphere.html It converts the spheremaps you can find everywhere. You have to do some work renaming and compressing the files to tga or png. I posted some information for skyboxes here. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44754-Universe-Replacer-a-texture-replacement-plugin

Edited by Apatheticjester

I asked a similar question and could not find an answer. Could someone clarify this please?

Clouds are only visible from above 50 or so km. Below that you never even see the actual planet texture.. but rather the ground textures. So the clouds are part of the "From space" view, and not part of the "ground" texture ;)

How would I take off the Specular and Bump Map on Eve? I downloaded mushroomman's cloud pack but I would like to remove the bump and specular on eve so it looks more realistic.

I asked a similar question and could not find an answer. Could someone clarify this please?

I think the cloud is just pasted onto Kerbin's texture but only shows up when you get to space.

Hmm, a clouds feature. I might add that after I'm done with the Kerbal variety feature. Have different cloud frames, blend them frame to frame over some time and have them slightly rotating asynchronous to the planet. Sounds nice does it not? Of course only visible from space, all tho I could have them be persistent, wouldn't look to nice tho going through a plane when entering/leaving the planet

Hmm, a clouds feature. I might add that after I'm done with the Kerbal variety feature. Have different cloud frames, blend them frame to frame over some time and have them slightly rotating asynchronous to the planet. Sounds nice does it not? Of course only visible from space, all tho I could have them be persistent, wouldn't look to nice tho going through a plane when entering/leaving the planet

Sounds amazing. My clouds are only really a partial solution :P

How would I take off the Specular and Bump Map on Eve? I downloaded mushroomman's cloud pack but I would like to remove the bump and specular on eve so it looks more realistic.

The only reason I didn't do that is because for some reason I kind of like that look (though it is unrealistic). Now I haven't tried changing the bumpmaps, but I assume that if you just put a blank image (probably with the same height - width ratio) in the Eve folder and named it Eve2.PNG it should remove the bumpmap.

If you could just make the cloud texture stay still ie. not rotate with the planet, it would give the illusion of moving clouds. No idea if that is easier or not though.