Best CPU, OS, And gpu for under a total of 300$ for ksp?

kenbobo

I just upgraded my computer, and have been in the tech biz for a LONG time. Unless you go with Linux as an OS, you are going to have a very very hard time upgrading with that budget. You problem is that it sounds like you have a pretty old system in computer years anyway. You cant just upgrade your OS (W7 or 8 will eat about half your budget) and expect it to work with your current hardware. Example: W7 & 8 (you can skip Vista) will require a second core CPU, which in your case may require a new Mobo ($$$). But then your current RAM wont fit into the new Mobo. Modern GPU's need a second power source, with new connectors on your power supply. It turns into a chain reaction as you attempt to upgrade any one of the components mentioned.

Your best bet may be to go onto Ebay and find people selling your current hardware components and then looking for those selling the "next gen" of each component, like just baby steps ahead of what you have so chances are good that everything will fit and still be relatively compatible with one another.

My advice to you is to keep saving your money. For a few hundred dollars more, you can get a brand new system with everything you need and is more easily upgrade able in the near future.

Yesterday I bought a higher end one of these for my business: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=901728&Q=&is=REG&A=details

$450 + shipping

I have to say that seems like an unrealistically small budget to me.

First of all, a legit copy of Windows 7 or 8 is $100 on its own.

A new CPU will almost certainly require you to get a new motherboard to support it, and probably new RAM.

Adding a discrete GPU card will mean you'd probably need to upgrade your power supply as well.

A hard budget of 300 dollars for three items is a very hard limit. If we divide the cost of each component, you have a limit of 100 dollars per item. Let me tell you firsthand that spending anything under 150 dollars on a GPU is simply not worth the money. I recommend spending about $200 on your GPU, 300 dollars on your CPU and mobo, and buying W7 or W8 for your OS. If you only have 300 dolars to spend, then keep saving your money until you have about double that.

You could get a good GPU for that....but that's it...if you want anything worth a damn your looking at $300 for each item other then the OS, not all of them combined.

A good CPU will run you $200-300. Anything less is a waste of money because it wont run **** anyway. You will also need a new MB with the correct socket which will run $150-200.

A good GPU will run you $150-200 again, anything else is a waste in this day and age unless your playing games from the 90's early 00's.

Operating System to support it all? $100 bare bones OS.

I can only suggest Newegg for parts but I don't advise buying any CPU below an i-5 or any GPU with less then 2GB of video ram.

Also, you may need more RAM, the new OS suck up a lot more then XP. RAM on the other hand though is cheap as dirt.

Last but not least, an upgrade this big will also proably require a new, bigger PSU which will again be around $150

Don't skimp on computer electronics, you get what you pay for. You'd be better off building an all new desktop.

Edited by IllicitMedic

If your computer is as old as it sounds, there haven't been many single core CPUs released lately, then you will almost certainly need more than those three things. Like others have said, you'll need a new motherboard, and probably RAM. You should be able to get an upgrade version of W7 or W8, which don't cost much, especially if you can get some kind of deal on them (student discount, work discount, etc...). But still, you're looking at overhauling most of your system, which is hard to do on a $300 budget.

As for GPU's, there are a lot of fairly powerful cards for around $150. KSP doesn't tax the GPU much, so you really don't need something very powerful anyway.

If and when you do decide on components, you should prioritize the CPU. That is by far the most important component for KSP.

ok thanks!

The other folks are giving you some interesting advice on building a rig that can run a lot more than KSP.

Honest opinion....you could probably scrap together another $100 and buy an Acer or similar laptop off of Newegg and be able to competently run KSP. Make sure it has a decent GPU and not running integrated graphics. Usually one can be found for roughly that price. It won't be a beast, but it will work better than what you've currently got.

Real opinion...save up for a build and homebuild a new PC from your old. I'm better its a full ATX case which is good. New motherboard, new memory, new cpu, new GPU. if you don't go all out I'd bet you can build a really decent current PC for $600. You'll just have to really shop hard.

If it's an upgrade to mostly just run KSP decently you should ignore anyone telling you that you must spend huge amounts: It is just not true.

An i5 is a great all round CPU, but you can easily get good enough performance for much less, an AMD APU like the 5600k should run it pretty well (these are all suggestions, not detailed recommendations!):

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Slugy/saved/27k9

total price $178, assuming current PSU is enough to drive it.

or for a more all round upgrade with a decent GPU (which is the big weak spot of all integrated chips), and easy overclocking to 4.4Ghz+

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Slugy/saved/27gE

and to use up all $300 and get probably the best CPU performance for KSP (although the athlon 750k overclocked will be very close I expect):

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Slugy/saved/27kD

If it's an upgrade to mostly just run KSP decently you should ignore anyone telling you that you must spend huge amounts: It is just not true.

An i5 is a great all round CPU, but you can easily get good enough performance for much less, an AMD APU like the 5600k should run it pretty well (these are all suggestions, not detailed recommendations!):

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Slugy/saved/27k9

total price $178, assuming current PSU is enough to drive it.

or for a more all round upgrade with a decent GPU (which is the big weak spot of all integrated chips), and easy overclocking to 4.4Ghz+

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Slugy/saved/27gE

and to use up all $300 and get probably the best CPU performance for KSP (although the athlon 750k overclocked will be very close I expect):

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Slugy/saved/27kD

Good! I like the second one! I will get second i think. This pc I made... so it has memories... Retro fit, Here I come!

Good! I like the second one! I will get second i think. This pc I made... so it has memories... Retro fit, Here I come!

Were you looking for a mini-ATX motherboard? I think you'll be able to find a decent full size ATX which may afford you more ability to upgrade in the future.

Here's what I play KSP on.

HP XW8200 Workstation/Tower PC:

TWIN (2x) Intel Xeon 3.6Ghz - 64-Bit - Hyper-Threaded

8 GB RAM - DDR2 ECC RAM

1TB SATA2 Hard Drive

Brand New XFX ATI HD5450 1GB GDDR3 Gaming Graphics Card

- (2GB with Hyper-Memory!!)

Refurbished ex-lease machine that I think used to be someone's server, that particular seller's UK-only but I'm sure there's similar retailers offering similar prices Stateside. Cost me $120 more than your stated budget, but that was including a copy of Windows 7 Professional; you could probably negotiate a discount in exchange for it being delivered without an operating system, but unless you don't need or want to use any Windows-exclusive software at all you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and find the extra hundred in the end.

Could it benefit from a better graphics card? Undoubtedly. But KSP's playable on moderate-to-high settings and you can always upgrade afterwards.

I will emphatically, enthusiastically, MILITANTLY advise you pick up windows 8. I know there's a ton of hate on it from all directions, but ignore that flak. It's more efficient and uses less system resources.

I have a seriously outdated machine, that is neither i3 nor i5 nor i7, and in fact uses a Core 2 Quad Duo Extreme Pro or whatever ridiculous names they gave those things back before the i3s.

And I commonly fly things with part counts that require a comma.

Trust the Whack. You will thank me.

Edited by Whackjob

If you are a computer geek and like tinkering with operating systems, build a Linux System, forgo the $100 tribute to Bill Gates, and use an existing flat screen TV for the monitor. KSP is available in Linux.

get this config from used parts,its faar cheaper than 300$ and KSP run on it with a decent 60fps at 1280x1024.

mobo:Asus P5k

cpu:core2duo E8400 (or e6850)

ram: at least 4gigs of ddr2

vga: nvidia 9800gt (or gtx etc.. with at least 512mb vram)

and of course get some SSD like samsung 830

Use 32bit Xp or 64bit win7 but stay away from 64bit xp or 32bit win7.

And stay away from win8 too.

Cheers! ;)

If you are a computer geek and like tinkering with operating systems, build a Linux System, forgo the $100 tribute to Bill Gates, and use an existing flat screen TV for the monitor. KSP is available in Linux.

I'd be curious to see if a linux version of KSP would see the boost in performace that I do under Win8.