[Closed] Amphibious Gear and the Drone

Tosh

Projects discontinued.

Topic closed.

Use [thread=18321]Seaplane Floats addon[/thread] instead.

Abandonware. Do whatever you like with the models.

H&S Tinkering Workshop humbly presents

Amphibious Landing Gear

and

'Drone' UAV

v2.6

Amphibious Gear enables a plane to land virtually anywhere -- on grass, on snow and on water. Moreover it's far more durable than old C7 landing gear and can withstand landing speed of more than 180 m/s. The kit contains long and short Fuselage Skids, Wing Skids and inflatable Hydroplane Pontoons.

Landing Skids are made of plywood; they're rather worn though still firm. 'Standard' Fuselage Skid may carry 2 to 3 Hydroplane Pontoons, 'short' version carries 1 or 2 while Wing Skid ('left' and 'right' versions are included) carries one. Warning: if you're using only two fuselage skids (and no wing skids at all) then each of them must carry not less than 2 pontoons for the plane to float stably.

Highly buoyant inflatable Hydroplane Pontoon was cautiously stolen up at KNN base at Kermenia. Dunno what those marines are using these pontoons for, but tie it to your landing skid -- and you're ready to land anywhere! Warning: use with HSTW skids only.

Download 1.1 Mb (must be logged in)

v0.15 Compatibility Note: pontoons are hard to place in the SpacePlane Hangar; you'll need to rotate them a bit with <Shift + WASDQE> keys. This is the game's issue, not an addon's one ('cause these pontoons work perfectly in the Vehicle Assembly Building); game devs are well aware of it, but currently have no solution.

Craft design suggestions:

attachment.php?attachmentid=17838&d=0

'Drone' UAV is a fully autonomous airplane with almost unlimited range. After an aerial launch it stabilizes at 2 500 meters and 100 m/s -- and then travels perfectly straight. The Drone may be used as a reconnaissance vehicle or as a target for shooting practice.

The pack consists of a fuselage equipped with a solid rocket engine, ejection rack to attach the fuselage to you carrier plane, long wing and two tailfins -- 'left' and 'right' ones (not interchangeable).

• attach the fuselage to an ejection rack below your airplane,
  • place wings with x2 symmetry at the marked spots in the middle of fuselage,
  • then attach tailfins to the spots at the tail matching 'L' and 'R' letters on the fins to those on the fuselage.

Below is the picture of correctly assembled Drone:

attachment.php?attachmentid=18389&d=0

Download 280 Kb (must be logged in)

v0.15 Compatibility Note: open Parts/hstwDroneRack/part.cfg with Notepad and manually increase rack's ejectionForce to 100 or something.

Thanks to Iskierka who fine-tuned drone's aerodynamics the plane flies perfectly well no matter the launch conditions. Launch altitude of 500 m and speed of 70 m/s are recommended but not necessary. Just don't turn it upside-down! :)

64px-Cc-by_new.svg.png64px-Cc-sa.svg.png

[table]

[tr][td]

-

[/td][td]Landing beacons are discontinued. With new plugin system they look somewhat... ineffective. [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2.6:

[/td][td]Drone aerodynamics completely reworked. Fins now have 'L' and 'R' versions. Ejection rack placement and launch conditions no longer matter. Not compatible with earlier versions![/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2.5:

[/td][td]Correct attachment spot is marked on the back of Drone's fuselage (visible through at highest zoom level).[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2.4:

[/td][td]'Drone' UAV added.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2.3:

[/td][td]Models simplified (merged all meshes into one in each .DAE file), decreased some texture file sizes.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2.2:

[/td][td]Added short Fuselage Skid; 'standard' one made a bit longer.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2.1:

[/td][td]Added Fuselage Skid, Wing Skid and Hydroplane Pontoon. All directories are prefixed with 'hstw'.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v2:

[/td][td]Added Landing Beacon and Landing Beacon Hardpoint[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

v1:

[/td][td]Was useless, discarded[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Edited by Tosh

Tosh I have an idea how bout a flashlight duct taped to the side of the rocket thats you dont eject, It just lights up the ground under you so you can land.

I tried this first -- and it did not work.

Lights in the game have 5-meters falloff distance. It means that light spot on the surface appears when the rocket\'s only 5 meters above it, which is -- oh shi-- BOOM! -- too late.

Alright, seaplanes!

Not only \'sea\' . This

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8422;image

allows for rather rough landings (and performs much better than C7 gear does).

And bare skids

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8424;image

are working too.

Not saying that this

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8420;image

is still possible.

And even this

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8426;image

(though it may be really difficult to takeoff).

Well; time to draw some textures.

And this is how it all ends:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8428;image

The skids and pontoons are awesome. Managed to make my first water landing - And takeoff - with them. And with a craft that was never meant to land, too!

My only request with them would be to have shorter ones for smaller craft that don\'t have to attach on a wing to look right.

The skids and pontoons are awesome.

Thanks )

My only request with them would be to have shorter ones for smaller craft that don\'t have to attach on a wing to look right.

Current implementation of buoyancy in KSP requires at least two pontoons in a row for a plane to float stably. So the shorter skid would require shorter pontoons.

Maybe later I\'ll make a smaller version.

Current implementation of buoyancy in KSP requires at least two pontoons in a row for a plane to float stably. So the shorter skid would require shorter pontoons.

Maybe later I\'ll make a smaller version.

Fair enough, fair enough, just that having the large pontoons makes it a little.. Tricky to land my attempt at an attack spaceplane.

With the guns taken off, of course.

Hmmm, pontoon airplanes. TaleSpin anyone? ;D

That\'s one of my favorite (as well as PorcoRosso) :)

I\'ve even thought of creating a flying boat mod but still have not figured out how to make it.

That\'s one of my favorite (as well as PorcoRosso) :)

I\'ve even thought of creating a flying boat mod but still have not figured out how to make it.

Well, maybe I could help with some ideas? One that I\'d give, given that you can now choose the default thrust vector for liquid engines...

Bah, getting ahead of myself here. Dang you, enthusiasm!

Adventures of \'Kermenian Monster\' (codename \'Sausage Factory\'), the heaviest single-engine C7 plane that managed to leave the launchpad:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8591;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=8593;image

It seems that this skid/pontoon solution scales quite well....