BSC (Better Stock Crafts) - Aeris 3a - Yet another winner!

Xeldrak

*stuffs the last documents into his memory hole*

Well, this challenge was about the Aeris 3a all the time - what are you guys talking about?

meh, lesson learned, I'll wait till all the arguments are sorted before I post on the next one...cba changing my entry now so I'll just go with what i have already submitted.

oh and added a vid to my original post..

Those are great training birds. I'll do a trainer SSTO when the Aeris 4A comes around. IN the true spirit of the Ravenspear Mk 1, I got a high altitude plane that is a basig fundemental improvement with more lift, more control, better high alt performance, and impossible to tail strike.

EDIT: Official entry.

The Nighthawk Mk 1.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I am really starting to like Imgur. Damn, I have gone to the dark side.

Craft file, if you download, at least let me know. I like to keep track of who has my stuff and what they do with it. Knowing my client base helps design better stuff.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_BVD9gAcd6BaUdvTy1qQWNMLUk/

Edited by Captain Sierra

meh, lesson learned, I'll wait till all the arguments are sorted before I post on the next one...cba changing my entry now so I'll just go with what i have already submitted.

oh and added a vid to my original post..

Karma, your plane is still amazing for it's purpose! Nice vid of you flying it btw.

*stuffs the last documents into his memory hole*

Well, this challenge was about the Aeris 3a all the time - what are you guys talking about?

I am not rebuilding my craft now, not with a 72 hour deadline. Let it be known that mine was built under the Ravenspear challenge here and should be scored accordingly.

You guys do realize, that it is EXACTLY the same challenge - all that changed is the name? So all your entries you've submitted until now will still be viable. No need to redesign anything.....

What do you even want to rebuild? I only changed the name...

@Captain Sierra I only changed the name, the paragraph

Now, I'm a little more specific about the replacement this time. Since there are still other planes to get a challenge, this time I want something that can have a short range, has to fly well, be maneuvrable and stable. Basically a plane you can use to get used to the airplane controls and get some basic aircraft-design ideas. No speed or altitude records needed, this time.
was there allready before, maybe you just overread it. Edited by Xeldrak

Karma, your plane is still amazing for it's purpose! Nice vid of you flying it btw.

you should have seen the 20 vids before it where i crashed into every bloody building KSP has to offer :D

You guys do realize, that it is EXACTLY the same challenge - all that changed is the name? So all your entries you've submitted until now will still be viable. No need to redesign anything.....

What do you even want to rebuild? I only changed the name...

@Captain Sierra I only changed the name, the paragraph was there allready before, maybe you just overread it.

Xeldrak, I love these challenges and appreciate the effort you put into them, but I would have entered something alot smaller for the Aeris (probably something more along the lines of my midge) the original brief said Ravenspear so i built something that kind of size, anyway no biggy its a game ffs. I have had a evening of entertainment making my craft and flying it about as well as flying what other people have submitted :D

lol this time I read the brief :) and the name meant nothing to me as I've never flown the stock planes... they just look too awful!

LOL my thoughts exactly about stock craft fugly as hell! tbh its been so long since i even looked at them I've had to check what each one was at the begining of the challenge

I present you all with the creatively named Ares 3b.

Ares 3b file

The Ares 3b was designed around a specific set of specifications. Zero-Zero ejection capsule for both pilot and instructor, Mach 1 capability at 7000m, maneuverability and inherent stability. Several features have gone towards achieving these goals. The wings have significant dihedral, giving a natural rolling stability. It is possible to fly this aircraft entirely without SAS for even the least experienced pilot. The full front of the aircraft separates via solid rockets to parachute for recovery in an emergency. With an extremely short takeoff roll and quick low-level climb rates, the Ares 3b even makes an effective light fighter aircraft for cost-conscious kerbal nations.

Edited by HueHue

Here's mine, my first functional plane as it happens! I'm horrid at flying KSP planes and can land it on runways (which means lining up!). It'll make it to 20km and generally flies pretty nicely. It's flyable even without SAS enabled, though nicer with it. Only issue is that it tends to have a high speed oscillation in the ASAS roll plane at high speed low altitude. Doesn't break anything, but it looks meh.

Speaking of which, the whole plane looks meh :P

No part clipping though!

Has a pair of chutes you can deploy that'll land the plane on the front wheels.

Lifts off right around 40m/s, can stand on its tail and head up to 20km vertically. Don't land on the tail, though.

~200m/s at 1000 meters.

~388m/s at 7100 meters.

Novaworks SlowSafeThing Mk1 in the hanger:

G9W3hDw.jpg

Coming back down from 20odd km:

VHxrXnM.jpg

Craft File

Doubt it'll get chosen as it's far from pretty/elegant, but it's my first functional plane so I'm glad I sat down to make it anyway :D

These challenges are fun, they make me expand!

Edited by Bobnova

Never did a challenge before but I do love planes.

(in character)

Gentel-kerbals I present to you the TR-32 Bull Frog the latest design from QUASAR industries. She is not the prettiest jet out there but she is great for short hops and is very forgiving.

The Bull Frog is designed to be a high performance trainer for new KSC trainees experiencing their first taste of jet powered flight or more experienced trainees that are moving onto level two or three training.

Level one trainees are limited to a ceiling of 6,000 meters which keeps the Bullfrog from exceeding the speed of sound. High subsonic flight to the edge of transonic flight is possible at this altitude with the single basic engine.

Because of the dual ramjet design the Bullfrog can reach supersonic speeds in excess of Mach two when at its maximum ceiling of 20,000 meters. This is limited to level three trainees or instructors.

Level two trainees are limited to 12,000 meters which lets them get their first taste of supersonic flight.

The Bullfrog lets a new pilot become experienced with how action groups are used in two ways.

Custom action group one is the parking group. It sets toggles the rear brakes, engine and ladder deployment.

The abort action group is also used to eject from a disabled aircraft. The engine is cut then the cockpit ejected from the airframe before two parachutes are deployed.

The Bullfrog is also a capable glider when needed and can easily glide at under 80 m/s.

(out of character)

Engaging fine controls by using the caps lock key is recommended for pilots just starting out till they are more familiar with the controls. Once the Bullfrog lifts off it will settle at a 25 or so degree ascent path. Simply engage computer control then and level out at 4,000 to 6,000 meters.

My original design had more control surfaces on the wings which allowed for auto take off at under 80 m/s but it made the plane much too twitchy. I first tried to use smaller controls but that didn't help much and just made it prone to stalls. The best flying version so far is this final version without ailerons but with the extra weight of the separator.

Pictures below and I have to upload the craft file a bit later.

TR-32_Bullfrog

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1b53G-UMsskbzIyRENET0s4ajQ/edit?usp=sharing

One more edit correct staging. And batteries to help with torque. Best not to fly with less then quarter fuel becomes hard to nose down. Only 21 parts just over 4 tons full of fuel and minimal parts clipping just to get air intakes looking right.

http://imgur.com/a/APABX/

Also because we know that everyone really wants a plane with mach effects and reentry effects I made the super bull frog. Easy for a new player to make a mach 4 plus plane simply by replacing the basic jet with a turbojet.

Flameouts don't matter because there is only one engine so a flameout doesn't induce a flat spin.

Edited by British_Rover
Added craft file

Never did a challenge before but I do love planes.

(in character)

Gentel-kerbals I present to you the TR-32 Bull Frog the latest design from QUASAR industries. She is not the prettiest jet out there but she is great for short hops and is very forgiving.

The Bull Frog is designed to be a high performance trainer for new KSC trainees experiencing their first taste of jet powered flight or more experienced trainees that are moving onto level two or three training.

Level one trainees are limited to a ceiling of 6,000 meters which keeps the Bullfrog from exceeding the speed of sound. High subsonic flight to the edge of transonic flight is possible at this altitude with the single basic engine.

Because of the dual ramjet design the Bullfrog can reach supersonic speeds in excess of Mach two when at its maximum ceiling of 20,000 meters. This is limited to level three trainees or instructors.

Level two trainees are limited to 12,000 meters which lets them get their first taste of supersonic flight.

The Bullfrog lets a new pilot become experienced with how action groups are used in two ways.

Custom action group one is the parking group. It sets toggles the rear brakes, engine and ladder deployment.

The abort action group is also used to eject from a disabled aircraft. The engine is cut then the cockpit ejected from the airframe before two parachutes are deployed.

The Bullfrog is also a capable glider when needed and can easily glide at under 80 m/s.

Engaging fine controls by using the caps lock key is recommended for pilots just starting out till they are more familiar with the controls.

(out of character)

My original design had more control surfaces on the wings which allowed for auto take off at under 80 m/s but it made the plane much too twitchy. I first tried to use smaller controls but that didn't help much and just made it prone to stalls. The best flying version so far is this final version without ailerons but with the extra weight of the separator.

Pictures below and I have to upload the craft file a bit later.

Fixed it for you. :)

This looks like a fun set of challenges. So here's my entry for the replacement trainer. Officially named Trainer Jet in the craft file (big surprise, right?), it's responsive without being twitchy, it takes off at roughly 40 m/s, has a very manageable glide slope even with a full fuel load (making it easy to land) and only requires a couple notches of trim to maintain level flight without SAS engaged.

TraineratSPH_zpsfa60c32f.png

TraineronRunway_zpsb588be17.png

Here's the craft file. Enjoy!

Here is a preview of what I am planning on.

output_wauBhr.gif

Just need a few finishing touches. I don't know if this might be too much though. It doesn't have much of a high speed and it has a relatively low ceiling. Plus, I don't think it can circumnavigate the globe or anything so it fits the bill methinks.

Edited by AmpsterMan

I was actually able to build this plane without using the debug menu, albeit I did use some construction tricks.

Beta Jet

H5hLLok.jpg

Fast, agile and slightly forgiving.

Features:

- Very fast

- Looks cool

- Agile

- Not too responsive

- Easy to fly

- No debug used

- Superfluous RTG

- Engine out capability

- Can fly with one wing

- Made by me (therefore is awesome)

Proof of its forgiveness:

xE6xpEn.jpg

Download: http://www./download/7fvyaj27wdp7jj5/Beta_Jet.craft

Edited by Giggleplex777

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.