Why can't I drive my rover on Eve or Minmus?

It's basically a rover fitted under a lander designed to detach upon landing so they could function as two separate entities.

I landed the first unmanned version on Eve. Thing is, I landed on the slope so the rover sped downhill. I switched to it trying to counter the downhill acceleration but it didn't seem to work except for the brakes. When I reached a rather flat surface, I tried driving again but it won't budge and instead,kept speeding away at the slightest incline.

I thought to myself, "Well it might be the high gravity here" so I launched a second version of the rover with pretty much the same specs,except it was a manned-unmanned hybrid - this time to Minmus. It won't budge again save for brakes and steering.

NOTE: I tested the rover thoroughly before launching it and I'm positive it moved just fine on Kerbin. When I was on Minmus and Eve, I double checked if the motors were enabled. They were. They're also stocked with batteries and a couple of radioisotope generators so I'm pretty sure power is not a problem. I'm GUESSING it might be the wheels, those beige sleeks w/c I think has something to do with grip. I don't even know anymore. So if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, it will be very much appreciated!

I'll try posting pictures tomorrow.

Edited by mangekyou-sama

Can you post some pictures of your rover? A few things might be happening.

-The wheels might have broken on landing. Hard enough hits can do that.

-On the upper-right corner of the screen, click the button that says "Resources" to check your electricity just to be sure

Can you post some pictures of your rover? A few things might be happening.

-The wheels might have broken on landing. Hard enough hits can do that.

-On the upper-right corner of the screen, click the button that says "Resources" to check your electricity just to be sure

I'm pretty sure my wheels are pretty intact and not a single tire burst. I haven't checked the Resources thingy but I'm pretty sure I have electricity since my twin Illuminators are working. I'll be posting pictures in like 6 hours. I'm on my mobile right now.

Check if something didn't break off during transport. Check electricity supply. And check that you have some sort of control onboard, either remote or a Kerbal.

Ah believe me, as far as craft integrity is concerned, everything's intact. Aphrodite I(Eve) is unmanned and has this octagonal Probodobodyne core while Aphrodite II(Minmus) has unma

mned core and an external command seat. Tried controlling it both ways, still nope.

There could be a number of reasons. For Minmus - gravity. Also, if you're going down the slope with high enough speed, you won't be able to stop using motors only - that's how wheels' torque curve works, the faster you go, the less control you have over the speed. Also, it may be the case of pitched wheels: if they're not completely vertical, you will lose steering and acceleration control.

Have you tried turning the brakes off?

Yup! And all it does is go downhill when it encounters an incline.

Also, have you had any success with other rovers elsewhere, like on Kerbin? It might be a control issue. The default rover keys are WASD; have you remapped them to IJKL at all?

Yes, I have 2 rovers on Mun with the same build. Thoroughly tested on Kerbin - and it worked perfectly until it landed on Eve and Minmus.

Do you lose electric charge when you hit the drive button? And will your wheels still turn when you hit the keys even though youre not moving?

Try right clicking and making sure the motors are enabled.

Also try randomly hitting all your movement keys. Ive had spaceplanes that refuse to budge on the runway after i turn off brakes untill i nudge all direction keys a bit, maybe you have the same with your rover.

Also check your action groups making sure your brake action group does what its supposed to.

• 8 years later...

No doubt the original poster of this thread no longer needs help here.
Also, in 2013 it was not possible to right-click the probecore and change the control direction.

To avoid further confusion this thread will now be locked.
KSP Forum Moderation Team