[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

If you are planing to be modeling the lander pod after this:

Then, you should put the docking port on the bottom, surrounded by the engines, as that seems to be what is shown in the picture

There's no docking port, but there's a 1.25m node with room for one so it can be added at the player's discretion. I'm not a fan of integrating docking and other functions into parts so much. The service pod I did there was an anomaly :P.

@m00f:

The landing leg housing intersects a lot with the part it is attached to. Also it would be better if it was shorter, if possible. About the height of a landing pod.

I'm just writing this because i've been struggling to make a realistic atmospheric lander for duna which can also carry a small rover. Your stuff would help a lot as it seems. But here is another suggestion: How about a cargo hold along the lines of this

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/st-spacet...-program-v1-0/

The leg is pretty much scaled right off the picture, I'm not really going to change it. It intersects because it is supposed to be part of whatever you attach it on to - I quite like the look. If you attach it to a skeletal truss, for example, it still looks contained. I have no plans at present to make any cargo bays either, though I always want them when I'm actually playing KSP, I don't quite have the motivation at the moment.

Nert, what modeling software do you use? (Cinema 4D, Sketchup, Blender, etc)

A really old version of 3D Studio Max.

• 2 weeks later...
Well looks like this mod therad is dying.

Have some patience. Modders have real life obligations that take priority and just because there hasn't been an update for a few weeks doesn't mean it's dead. Especially when Nertea has been actively posting on the thread for his primary mod.

Edited by I.O.M.

So, despite the existence of quite some similar stuff from Kommitz, I'll probably finish off my truss set. I mean, it was already unwrapped, so it's pretty much 80% of the work done. Plus, I want to make some specific NFP-matching fuel tanks and such.

So, here's what I had made. There's an empty purely structural truss, one with the sides cut out that will be attachable inside, one with a stock-style liquid fuel tank, and three NFP fuel tanks (Hydrogen, Xenon, Argon, try guessing which is which :P). Additionally, a 2.5m to large truss adapter, and a bonus skeletal 2.5m to 1.25m adapter.

trusses.png

To heck with other mods' stuff! This is awesome, and KSP needs more awesome structural stuff. Trusses (espcially given the lagginess of THSS) are in short supply. Please, continue to deliver awesomeness.

I foresee larger, 2.5ish meter sizes of these which could hold small (or not so smallish) landers, fuel tanks, etc. Very very nice work.

What kind of rendering overhead do these come with?

These are actually around 2.5m already! So you'll easily be able to slide a 0.625m (or a little larger) probe in the empty bay.

truss_stuff.png

They are calibrated to be stackable and fit the modular girder pieces on the side like above without overlapping. The performance use won't be too bad, as all the trusses are identical in outer structure (and can thus share a texture). Only the insides will be different.

So, despite the existence of quite some similar stuff from Kommitz, I'll probably finish off my truss set. I mean, it was already unwrapped, so it's pretty much 80% of the work done. Plus, I want to make some specific NFP-matching fuel tanks and such.

So, here's what I had made. There's an empty purely structural truss, one with the sides cut out that will be attachable inside, one with a stock-style liquid fuel tank, and three NFP fuel tanks (Hydrogen, Xenon, Argon, try guessing which is which :P). Additionally, a 2.5m to large truss adapter, and a bonus skeletal 2.5m to 1.25m adapter.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/trusses.png

Hmm. I Kindof like these more than the kommiz ones. Could be because of the cool filler you put in there. Cant wait to see where this leads

I really like these trusses. Are you planning on making a full set of hub pieces to go along with these? (3/6 way splits)

6 way hub I understand, but what would a 3-way be? A t-shape?

Any chance they have the same footprint as Kommitz's?

Probably not sadly.

The trusses are now done and will be in the next version of NFP!

So, on to more random ideas. I was building a moon base, and was thinking that the structural fuselages that I was using for habitation tubes were a bit lame. So, I thought I might give a nicer looking hab tube a shot.

tubeconcept.png

They're supposed to be covered with spacesuit-style insulation material and be generally cool for use in ground bases and space stations. I mocked up a basic one, one with a viewport and one with an airlock segment. They're obviously quite WIP and would get more detail and proper textures. 1.25m size class... I suppose if I did one of these I would also do a couple of hub components. Anyone interested?

So, on to more random ideas. I was building a moon base, and was thinking that the structural fuselages that I was using for habitation tubes were a bit lame. So, I thought I might give a nicer looking hab tube a shot.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/tubeconcept.png

They're supposed to be covered with spacesuit-style insulation material and be generally cool for use in ground bases and space stations. I mocked up a basic one, one with a viewport and one with an airlock segment. They're obviously quite WIP and would get more detail and proper textures. 1.25m size class... I suppose if I did one of these I would also do a couple of hub components. Anyone interested?

Looks exciting! Love station/base parts that strike a good balance between looking realistically and "kerbally"

-snip-

That last one looks like there is a Mk1 lander can in the middle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.