[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

So I've noticed that some people are talking about Real Heat, the replacement for Deadly Reentry. Is the heat shield compatible with that as well or is it just DR?

I don't even think Real Heat is in a state that it needs heat shields yet... it doesn't have its own nor does it make use of any of the ones from DRE.

Still having problems getting the Service Module to decuple from the SDHI Heat shield.

Comparing the Service Module to the Avionics Ring, which has no issues, the maximum drag is lower then the minimum drag. meaning that there's only angular drag applied in atmosphere, which explains why its such a . . . pain, to get it to separate during re-entry.

adding a decoupler Module to the bottom node on the SDHI Heat shield allows for the Service Module to actually separate. As you do lose functionality and control of the Service Module when you decouple with it there must be some problem within its coding or model.

Maybe the ejection fore is being applied the wrong way? Visually the pod seams to sink into the Service Module instead of pushing away.

Still having problems getting the Service Module to decuple from the SDHI Heat shield.

Comparing the Service Module to the Avionics Ring, which has no issues, the maximum drag is lower then the minimum drag. meaning that there's only angular drag applied in atmosphere, which explains why its such a . . . pain, to get it to separate during re-entry.

adding a decoupler Module to the bottom node on the SDHI Heat shield allows for the Service Module to actually separate. As you do lose functionality and control of the Service Module when you decouple with it there must be some problem within its coding or model.

Maybe the ejection fore is being applied the wrong way? Visually the pod seams to sink into the Service Module instead of pushing away.

I presume you are using the latest version of the Service Module pack with all dependencies?

Are you sure you have attached the Service Module to the correct node on the Heat Shield? The Node Resizer plugin makes this task much easier.

Also, some older versions of FAR may interfere with decoupling - ensure you have the latest dev version of FAR.

Finally, how low in the atmosphere are you trying to jettison the Service Module? I personally do so at around 100 km.

the minimum_drag value has nothing to do with angular drag at all and it does nothing in the stock drag model. It has nothing to do with your decoupling problems. That happens if you attach the ring too high up so that its bottom node is connected to the heat shield

(FYI, exception to the above information: minimum_drag IS used when my mod Stock Drag Fix is installed to enable alternate, orientation based drag that the stock system keeps disabled. But it still has nothing to do with your problem)

I presume you are using the latest version of the Service Module pack with all dependencies?

Are you sure you have attached the Service Module to the correct node on the Heat Shield? The Node Resizer plugin makes this task much easier.

Also, some older versions of FAR may interfere with decoupling - ensure you have the latest dev version of FAR.

Finally, how low in the atmosphere are you trying to jettison the Service Module? I personally do so at around 100 km.

Version 2.4 freshly downloaded from curse.

FAR is from February, I'll check for a newer version.

Animated Decouples, Real Chute, Deadly reentry, FAR, hot rockets, klockheed martian, node resizer, TAC-Lifesupport, Ship manifest and KSPX for the escape tower.

I've tried from between 200km to 60km and even the escape system on the Launchpad won't separate the command pod with the SDHI heatshield from the service module. Aviation ring works fine. Other heatshield's either separate from the Service Module or command pod.

If you time warp after using the service module's decoupler the command pod will slowly separate. However when you end the time warp the two crash back together.

I added a decoupler into the SDHI heatshield's lower node, it jettisons the Service module just fine.

I can send you a craft file I have set up for a contract to test the escape tower.

Success! I have found the root problem.

If I attach a deployable solar panel onto the service module it won't decouple. no solar panel and it decouples as its supposed too.

Happens with all deployable panels, stock, AIES, bobcat (Home, Mir, ISS), boxsat, KOSMOS.

Game then crashed when I tried the fixed solar panels, looks like the "You've been in & out of the VAB / SPH to many times." insufficient memory crash. restarting now. . . .

Fixed solar panels do not cause the problem.

Game crashed again while doing first test with the avionics ring . . . . 1.0 where are you?

Avionics ring has no issues with the solar panels.

If I attach a deployable solar panel onto the service module it won't decouple. no solar panel and it decouples as its supposed too.

Happens with all deployable panels, stock, AIES, bobcat (Home, Mir, ISS), boxsat, KOSMOS.

Game then crashed when I tried the fixed solar panels, looks like the "You've been in & out of the VAB / SPH to many times." insufficient memory crash. restarting now. . . .

Game crashed again while doing first test with the avionics ring . . . . 1.0 where are you?

That's certainly unusual.

Could you try reproducing that on a stripped-down game install? (i.e. stock parts + SDHI and its dependencies only)

I have stock used and aies solar panels on the service module and don't have that problem.

ok . . . this is turning out to be fun. . .

The download from curse has the decoupling problem.

The download from Github doesn't have the decoupling problem.

Curseforge really a curse.

ok . . . this is turning out to be fun. . .

The download from curse has the decoupling problem.

The download from Github doesn't have the decoupling problem.

Curseforge really a curse.

I just downloaded the file from each site and did a byte comparison of them. They're identical, byte for byte.

There is nothing wrong with the file on Curse.

I suggest you upload a craft that is known to you to be giving you trouble, so it can be analyzed.

Oh for $#% sake. . .

I've been slowly adding other mods that I use (alarm clock, alt resource panel, ect...)

Adding KJR (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement) causes the problem to rear its head. Theres a new version available. downloading now.

Adding KJR (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement) causes the problem to rear its head. Theres a new version available. downloading now.

Yep, I just realized - some of the older versions of KJR cause issues. The latest version should fix this problem.

Yep, I just realized - some of the older versions of KJR cause issues. The latest version should fix this problem.

"Indeed © Teal'c, SG-1"

The newest version does fix the problem.

All other mods (Except cool rockets) have been reincorporated and everything is working.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so here's the low-down on V2.5 and compatibility for KSP 1.0:

- As some of you guys already know, my current laptop is a lousy circa 2005 business laptop with a Core 2 Duo CPU / 3GB of RAM, and thus incapable of running KSP 1.0 on top of Win 7. I want to buy a new laptop, and can easily afford to do so right away, but I'm waiting for Win 10 to come out in October (or June, if the OS is RTM'ed to laptop makers) before I invest in a new machine that has the optimal drivers / hardware for that operating system. I can still model, texture and export parts through Unity on my current laptop, but I won't be able to actually test them in-game myself for the time being.

- I'm definitely migrating to DDS textures. Mu gave me some pointers on which formats to use for textures / normal maps, although I'm looking for a converter that I can easily use without worrying about flipping coordinate systems etc.

- I'm also going to update the Service Module and Avionics Ring to use the new fuel cell system, although I'm not sure how different that is from my current ModuleGenerator-based approach (which has a strange right-click context menu UI toggle button bug possibly due to interference with other PartModules)

- Of course, all the dependencies and supported add-ons will need to be checked too.

EDIT: Stock KSP may now have new heat shield parts, but I still prefer my own design. Of course, I'll update the SDHI heat shield to support the new ModuleAblator, which will also be automatically disabled if Deadly Reentry is installed instead.

Edited by sumghai

EDIT: Stock KSP may now have new heat shield parts, but I still prefer my own design. Of course, I'll update the SDHI heat shield to support the new ModuleAblator, which will also be automatically disabled if Deadly Reentry is installed instead.

Yeah, I strongly prefer your heat shield to Roverdude's. Good to hear you won't be ditching it. The new fairings also far from make yours obsolete, as they don't play very nicely with LES (without a lot of clunky bodging). Cheers, man.

Also I'm down for helping you test stuff, if you like.

Yeah, I strongly prefer your heat shield to Roverdude's. Good to hear you won't be ditching it.

;)

The new fairings also far from make yours obsolete, as they don't play very nicely with LES (without a lot of clunky bodging). Cheers, man.

Yep! I'm not a fan of procedural fairings in general, and in fact, this might be the time to start thinking about that SDHI AeroFairing add-on I've always wanted to make.

I found a bug sumghai. The SM/AR won't attach to the (modified to use ModuleAblator) SDHI Heatshield.

KSP 1.0 changed the way stack attachment nodes are defined - the direction of the nodes are now very important. While I've always been quite careful with stack nodes, this might have slipped through the net.

I've opened an issue here: https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/issues/39

Also I'm down for helping you test stuff, if you like.
I can help betatesting.

This is where I will commit WIP updates:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem

as a heads up microsoft will be offering free upgrades to windows 10 for anyone with a win 7 or win 8 pc. The upgrade works the same as the win 8 to win 8.1. I work at tigerdirect and i get that alot from business clients right now. So dont let waiting for won 10 stop you from doing what you want.

Okay, I just pushed a commit to GitHub to make the Service Module / Avionics Ring to now use the stock fuel cell system. Guys, please try it out and let me know how it goes.

as a heads up microsoft will be offering free upgrades to windows 10 for anyone with a win 7 or win 8 pc. The upgrade works the same as the win 8 to win 8.1. I work at tigerdirect and i get that alot from business clients right now. So dont let waiting for won 10 stop you from doing what you want.

I was already aware of this free upgrade offer a while back, actually :)

That being said, I'd prefer to wait for new laptops with drivers/BIOS/etc designed specifically for Win 10 to come out, rather than eagerly buy a Win 7/8/8.1 laptop right away and potentially spend weeks wrestling with incompatibility issues after Win 10 becomes available.

Yep! I'm not a fan of procedural fairings in general, and in fact, this might be the time to start thinking about that SDHI AeroFairing add-on I've always wanted to make.

Might this also include a set of generically compatible heat shields in that stylish weathered black tile? Either way it sounds great, dude.

Might this also include a set of generically compatible heat shields in that stylish weathered black tile? Either way it sounds great, dude.

We're leering a wee bit off topic, but yes, there will be options to add heat shielding to these hypothetical SDHI clamshell fairings, much like those on the MTV Copernicus.

Hi there sumghai! I'm returning to KSP after a 6-month-long hiatus and I just wanted to say that I still consider your top-notch parts to be an essential part of the Kerbal experience. Take your time with updating them and rest assured that your effort and dedication you put into your mods is really appreciated :)

We're leering a wee bit off topic, but yes, there will be options to add heat shielding to these hypothetical SDHI clamshell fairings, much like those on the MTV Copernicus.
Thank youuuuu! I <3 MTV Copernicus! There has been at least three failed Copernicus mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.