[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Well I just tested a clean, stock install with fresh downloads of the latest versions of SDHI and its dependencies without using CKAN and I still got the exact same results, so I can only assume you aren't using the same steps as me.

1. Run 32-bit KSP without forcing OGL mode with just stock (Squad and NASAmission), SDHI from
here, AnimatedDecouplers from here, Module Manager from here and RealChute from here All the newest available releases.
Go to the VAB.
Place down any valid part (Keeping with the point of the mod lets start the CSM stack).
XZFFhzz.png
Add the SDHI-added fairingless variety of the LV-909 to the bottom of the craft.
bqvpu77.png
Add another part to the base of the LV-909 - no fairings should appear at this point.
lVnu3KI.png
Go to add another part to the stack and you will notice there are two nodes near the bottom of your craft - a 2.5m one which will attach to the bottom of the part added in step 5 and a smaller node which appears to attach directly to the fairingless LV-909.
KdXHps6.png
Add your new part to the small LV-909 node and fairings will appear on it.
9KHVXuX.png
Remove the part added in step 4 and you will find that the part added in step 7 (And the fairings) remains attached to your craft, confirming that it is in fact attached directly to the LV-909.
qmh8G27.png

Edited by a__gun
Added spoiler to save space

Okay, looking at those screenshots, spawning of fairings on the fairingless LV-909 is most certainly not intended behaviour. However, I have not been able to reproduce that phenomenon at all.

I personally don't use TweakableEverything, but since that's been eliminated as a suspect, I'm not sure what else we could try to help solve the problem.

Okay, looking at those screenshots, spawning of fairings on the fairingless LV-909 is most certainly not intended behaviour. However, I have not been able to reproduce that phenomenon at all.

I personally don't use TweakableEverything, but since that's been eliminated as a suspect, I'm not sure what else we could try to help solve the problem.

It finally occured to me to look at the cfg files to see what differences there were between the stock and modded LV909 and see if I could figure out what was going on, and I think I've solved it.

From what I can tell, you have added an extra attachment node (node_stack_hidefairing) and the fairing-creating logic (handled by the ModuleJettison module) looks to this instead of the normal node_stack_bottom. The new node is smaller than and very close to the original node_stack_bottom, such that you cannot normally see it. When a suitably small part is attached to node_stack_bottom it becomes possible to see the new node and this is the node I have been seeing 'appearing'. Since there is still a ModuleJettison module and it is attached to the new node, fairings are created when this node is used.

If my understanding is correct, then it seems to me this is actually exactly the intended behaviour - to shift the fairing-creation to a dummy node that shouldn't be used. As I said before this isn't really much of a problem because the node is hard to spot and can be easily ignored. However, I suppose a 'fix' would be to move the position of the dummy node upwards so that it is hidden within the engine model.

I am still somewhat confused though that no-one else seems to be able to see what I am seeing. I'm not using NodeResizer - could that be hiding this behaviour from others?

I am still somewhat confused though that no-one else seems to be able to see what I am seeing. I'm not using NodeResizer - could that be hiding this behaviour from others?

I don't think that engine had node resizer applied to it. Only (IIRC, going by memory and I only just woke up 10 min, no coffee) the heat shield and the avionics ring. (makes their nodes smaller in editor so that they're easier to snap to the right one)

I'll try again later, I think I used a different set of parts that could have occluded the bottom of the 909

Has anyone had issue with real-chutes not functioning with this mod anymore? or have I just missed something?

Edit: Im an idiot, nevermind, I just didn't realize the real chute settings are hard-set and can't be altered in game. Can anyone tell me how to edit them in the config? I've altered the MM config to what I want, and cleared my mm cache, but its still loading the old settings, there has to be another mm config somewhere over writing this, but I can't figure it out?

Edited by vardicd

A quick message to fans and users of the SDHI Service Module:

I've recently moved to Christchurch to start a new job, and this means that instead of my usual dev PC, I'm now using my (old) laptop. I can make models and paint textures in Blender just fine, but can't test them out in-game, since said laptop's specs are pretty outdated.

I plan on buying myself a better laptop so that I can run KSP with all of my add-ons without the game turning into one massive slideshow, but until then, sit tight.

(I'll still do my best to answer support questions, though)

Has anyone had issue with real-chutes not functioning with this mod anymore? or have I just missed something?

Edit: Im an idiot, nevermind, I just didn't realize the real chute settings are hard-set and can't be altered in game. Can anyone tell me how to edit them in the config? I've altered the MM config to what I want, and cleared my mm cache, but its still loading the old settings, there has to be another mm config somewhere over writing this, but I can't figure it out?

Whoops vardicd, sorry I missed your post!

Yes, the RealChute settings for the ParaDocks are non-procedural (i.e. no tweakables editor window). If you want to make them tweakable (and void your warranty :P), you'll need to write an MM patch that appends a new PartModule called ProceduralChute plus the associated settings to parts with the KSP internal names SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron and SDHI_ParaDock_2_IACBM.

I might have to get the iacbm port out of your station parts to use with this...game running at mod capacity at this point

Alternatively, you can also use the parachute-equipped Clamp-O-Tron compatible docking port (i.e. the one with the yellow stripe).

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm pretty new to Ksp and I am currently doing the career mode

and I just have the last tech nodes to unlock. My question is does anyone use Kw rocketry with SDHI without

making the game crashing? I have animated decouplers, parachutes and module manager installed. Also I

cannot seem to get animated decouplers to work like I have seen in some youtube vids. They show no rocket

or jet nozzles on the decouplers. What am not I doing wrong?

I'm sorry if my post turns out messy as I'm using my phone to post.

Edit: forget about animated decouplers I got my wires crossed.

Edited by I3laze

I feel sad because it's a fantastic piece of work but the parts are pretty much useless since it's just an orbiter and most people have already landed on every planet. Also Kerbals are highly disposable so nobody cares about their safety.

Some people (me included) play RSS and want some realism.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm pretty new to Ksp and I am currently doing the career mode

and I just have the last tech nodes to unlock. My question is does anyone use Kw rocketry with SDHI without

making the game crashing? I have animated decouplers, parachutes and module manager installed.

Could you please provide a copy of output.log and screenshots of any error messages you've received? That might provide some clues to the problem you're having.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this add on, only came across it yesterday and I've had fun playing with it for the past few hours. I seem to have a stuttering/fps issue when putting it together within the VAB, my frame rates have always been great but I noticed as soon as I put the heat shield and service module on it creates stuttering/low fps issue, when I get to the launch pad everything goes back to normal.

Its only a minor annoyance but any help to sort the issue would be appreciated, thanks.

Are you able to reproduce the same issue on a stripped-down installation? (i.e. stock + SDHI SMS + dependencies only)

Also, could you please post log files and/or debug log entries around the time when you first attach the parts / experience the lag?

Hey Sumghai, thanks for the quick reply.

I was actually going through the mods one by on there and managed to stop the stuttering and fps drop by removing texture replacer, as soon as I put it back in there the problem started to occur again. Ill get the logs if that would help you further find the cause.

Hey Sumghai, thanks for the quick reply.

I was actually going through the mods one by on there and managed to stop the stuttering and fps drop by removing texture replacer, as soon as I put it back in there the problem started to occur again. Ill get the logs if that would help you further find the cause.

You might wish to try having an installation with no SDHI, but with TextureReplacer - we need to determine whether it's TR that's directly conflicting with SDHI (can't think of any reason why it should), or if TR equally affects other add-ons.

You might wish to try having an installation with no SDHI, but with TextureReplacer - we need to determine whether it's TR that's directly conflicting with SDHI (can't think of any reason why it should), or if TR equally affects other add-ons.

Ok, removed everything and it worked fine with stock Kerbal. I then added TextureReplacer and it was still working fine with no problems.

I had a feeling it might have been something to do with Venstockrevamp after that so I tried stock, TextureReplacer and Venstockrevamp on their own and that's when the issue arose again. Could it have something to do with reflections on the pod windows?

I have attached a link to my ksp.log below. Is there another log needed as well?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8qar82we3k4675/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks

Ok, removed everything and it worked fine with stock Kerbal. I then added TextureReplacer and it was still working fine with no problems.

I had a feeling it might have been something to do with Venstockrevamp after that so I tried stock, TextureReplacer and Venstockrevamp on their own and that's when the issue arose again. Could it have something to do with reflections on the pod windows?

It's most likely the TextureReplacer's TRreflection feature. You'll have to speak to shaw and Ven about that, though, since it's no longer an issue specific to SDHI SMS.

I'm having an issue with the decoupling. I use the menu as I only have basic action groups unlocked. The little arm moves, there's smoke and the service module and add-ons are no longer accessible, but the module and command pod don't separate. any ideas?

I'm having an issue with the decoupling. I use the menu as I only have basic action groups unlocked. The little arm moves, there's smoke and the service module and add-ons are no longer accessible, but the module and command pod don't separate. any ideas?

Assuming you have the AnimateDecouplers.DLL installed, make sure that when assembling the craft, the Service Module is attached to the correct stack node on the heat shield (the two nodes on the heat shield are very close together).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.