[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem

and you'll need this as well

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/releases

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, performed my LES/staging tests with the correct version of AnimatedDecouplers - no discernible difference with regard to failure to simultaneously trigger Decouple+Activate Engine on pod cover in both staging and action group activation. Same with regard to drag occlusion (not seeing it).

Built a "fresh" test craft to be sure.

Also I think there might be something wrong with the SDHI heat shield. It's showing as completely pitch black in-game. Here I am pointing it directly at the sun to be positive it's not just shadows or my eyes playing tricks.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/535146592472304831/3A75D82289F32AC6265D14F2A33A6E4ED2E198BF/

Nathan updated the heat shield code to be like the one in the game, where it darkens as it burns away. (which really means 'when it has no more ablative left')

The SDHI one isn't set up for that and it's already black to begin with so that has to be disabled.

I'll submit something to sumghai to turn that off.

Edit: Also, not understanding what you mean about Animated Decoupler. That shouldn't have any impact on using your LES. I did an abort test last night and it performed just fine. What are you trying to do exactly and where is it failing? And where is drag occlusion not working exactly? Screenshots demonstrating please.

Edited by Starwaster

Nathan updated the heat shield code to be like the one in the game, where it darkens as it burns away. (which really means 'when it has no more ablative left')

The SDHI one isn't set up for that and it's already black to begin with so that has to be disabled.

I'll submit something to sumghai to turn that off.

Edit: Also, not understanding what you mean about Animated Decoupler. That shouldn't have any impact on using your LES. I did an abort test last night and it performed just fine. What are you trying to do exactly and where is it failing? And where is drag occlusion not working exactly? Screenshots demonstrating please.

Sorry, what I meant was that my LES test includes detaching of the pod cover via action group. The action group has the pod cover's Decouple and Activate Engine actions tied to it. Triggering the action group only uses the Decouple action. That is, unless I move the decouple module behind the engine module, in which case they both activate simultaneously when the action group (and pod cover's detach stage) are triggered.

7D6F97808DE15237CD72445ECBC67E9B3E1AFA09

Am I doing something wrong here?

Sorry, what I meant was that my LES test includes detaching of the pod cover via action group. The action group has the pod cover's Decouple and Activate Engine actions tied to it. Triggering the action group only uses the Decouple action. That is, unless I move the decouple module behind the engine module, in which case they both activate simultaneously when the action group (and pod cover's detach stage) are triggered.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/535146592470051395/7D6F97808DE15237CD72445ECBC67E9B3E1AFA09/

Am I doing something wrong here?

I think I'd have to see your craft file; I can't tell you if you're doing anything wrong as far as your abort system but I can say that action groups work fine for me. (I've always had to do it that way too; didn't think to check module ordering)

What I can tell you is that you don't have the very latest SDHI build because of that thing with the shield. I just went and checked and it already has the charring thing turned off for it. And verified in-game that it works properly to disable the charring effect.

So, completely uninstall SDHI from your system and then download using this link: https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/ea95ee158d0aa547e834b672a238b26e9109649a.zip

I think I'd have to see your craft file; I can't tell you if you're doing anything wrong as far as your abort system but I can say that action groups work fine for me. (I've always had to do it that way too; didn't think to check module ordering)

What I can tell you is that you don't have the very latest SDHI build because of that thing with the shield. I just went and checked and it already has the charring thing turned off for it. And verified in-game that it works properly to disable the charring effect.

So, completely uninstall SDHI from your system and then download using this link: https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/ea95ee158d0aa547e834b672a238b26e9109649a.zip

I did download the latest build from the github before testing, but I acknowledge I could've been grabbing it from the wrong place. Will test with the build you linked.

Update: Blackening of the shield is still present, but drag occlusion and pod cover detach work perfectly. However, modules drag-occluded by the pod cover can no longer deploy as they're "stowed."

The simplified test craft I'm using is an SDHI avionics ring, mk1-2 pod with 3 stock radial parachutes and SDHI heat shield, stock clampo, SDHI pod cover, and KSPX LES, if that helps.

I recognize if this is inconvenient for you guys, but would you consider providing download links every time you put an update up? To make sure all the testers are more or less on the same page, I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also seeing that radial attachments to the SM trunk aren't getting any drag occlusion from the side fairings, though the trunk itself is.

Edit: craft file download link: http://www./download/nwpspflnqy2uwyr/Bomoo_SDHI_Test.craft

Edited by Bomoo

That sounds like an (common) issue with the RealChutes plugin. Please refer to the RealChutes thread.

will do! but my other realchutes had no issue.i idid check with many different and fresh crafts...well I'll just wait for the new version cause theres so many things that could go wrong.thanks anyway.i'llgo by realchutes and see if I can find something.

Thank you Starwaster. I was apparently using the wrong Animated Decouplers DL. All the previous issues were "solved" by using the right link. I was under the wrong assumption that you updated the GitHub DL like Sumghai does. I did not see any of the decoupler issues or boost cover staging oddities. Sorry for the wrong info earlier.

For my future reference though, what is the URL path for your release dl, Starwaster?

Edited by sharpspoonful

I've updated the OP with the following:

- New thread title to denote the experimental compatibility with KSP 1.0.x

- Tentative link to the latest dev build of SDHI SMS

- Proper link to the latest release version of AnimatedDecouplers

- Various disclaimers

Hopefully this will mitigate some of the confusion.

removed realchutes and the docking port wasn't causing any trouble. indeed its a realchute thing. theres a new version out for 1.02 .is the problem on that end or could it be solved from here?i mean do I need to change the parts cfg to work better with the new version realchutes?I tried to take a look but I don't know what im doing so im asking. thanks for the help. EDIT: will check the experimental version to see if anything changed EDIT: experimental version solved the problem! thanks for your continued support!

Edited by techstepman

I've updated the OP with the following:

- New thread title to denote the experimental compatibility with KSP 1.0.x

- Tentative link to the latest dev build of SDHI SMS

- Proper link to the latest release version of AnimatedDecouplers

- Various disclaimers

Hopefully this will mitigate some of the confusion.

Great, thank you.

hey, I don't know if this has been reported yet, but I noticed that the modded 909 does not appear to have any rocket effects when firing.

That sounds strange. Is this with or without HotRockets installed?

I'll also note that the fairingless LV-909 does not have ModuleSurfaceFX, as the engine is used in a Service Module, which would never be the first stage of a rocket.

I did download the latest build from the github before testing, but I acknowledge I could've been grabbing it from the wrong place. Will test with the build you linked.

Update: Blackening of the shield is still present, but drag occlusion and pod cover detach work perfectly. However, modules drag-occluded by the pod cover can no longer deploy as they're "stowed."

The simplified test craft I'm using is an SDHI avionics ring, mk1-2 pod with 3 stock radial parachutes and SDHI heat shield, stock clampo, SDHI pod cover, and KSPX LES, if that helps.

I recognize if this is inconvenient for you guys, but would you consider providing download links every time you put an update up? To make sure all the testers are more or less on the same page, I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also seeing that radial attachments to the SM trunk aren't getting any drag occlusion from the side fairings, though the trunk itself is.

Edit: craft file download link: http://www./download/nwpspflnqy2uwyr/Bomoo_SDHI_Test.craft

Oh hell, if you used the link I provided then I screwed you over because I (apparently) was grabbing a link from one of the commits from ... a week ago? a month ago?

If you haven't already downloaded using the freshly updated links from the first post then here is the correct link: https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/master.zip

VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also note that the fairingless LV-909 does not have ModuleSurfaceFX, as the engine is used in a Service Module, which would never be the first stage of a rocket.

(but it could be used as a lander engine....)

(but it could be used as a lander engine....)

I see. In that case, I'll add ModuleSurfaceFX later today.

Not sure if that would help remedy the missing effects Capt. Hunt is reporting, though.

Is the latest version going to still work with FAR or should I make sure not to lose my older copy of the mod? Thanks!

I believe it's compatible with FAR, yes.

I don't have hot rockets installed, and no, I am not tying to use it as a first stage engine:rolleyes:

I'll try installing hotrockets to see if it works.

Oh hell, if you used the link I provided then I screwed you over because I (apparently) was grabbing a link from one of the commits from ... a week ago? a month ago?

If you haven't already downloaded using the freshly updated links from the first post then here is the correct link: https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/master.zip

VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY!

Hehehe. No sweat, man.

Hmm, I do get the effects with hotrockets installed, so maybe the code that's supposed to switch to the stock effects if HR is not detected isn't working.

By the way, I also noticed that the boost protective cover now appears to get stuck on jettison, I have to shake it loose because the rockets don't appear to fire on staging. I'm not sure if it's a problem with your BPC or the stock LES. In the meantime I guess I'll assign LES jettison to an action group.

Edit: It's getting stuck with the action group too, even though I set it to fire the rockets.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Hmm, I do get the effects with hotrockets installed, so maybe the code that's supposed to switch to the stock effects if HR is not detected isn't working.

I'll need to have a look later today.

By the way, I also noticed that the boost protective cover now appears to get stuck on jettison, I have to shake it loose because the rockets don't appear to fire on staging. I'm not sure if it's a problem with your BPC or the stock LES. In the meantime I guess I'll assign LES jettison to an action group.

Edit: It's getting stuck with the action group too, even though I set it to fire the rockets.

Oh dear.

Okay guys, so here's where things stand:

- It sounds like the new fairing fixes don't work for everyone just yet; detailed screenshots and reproduction steps would help Starwaster and I investigate the issue (please also test for both stock and nuFAR aero).

- I still need to arrange for proper testing of all dependencies and supported add-ons; I'll write up a proper test procedure today.

- Yes, I still want to publish an official release, but only if the two aforementioned tasks are completed.

Thank you for your understanding.

That sounds like the problem I'm experiencing, with decouple appearing to fire at a higher priority and non-simultaneously with activation of pod cover engines.

I started a new save to see if it was due to a corrupt save, but it still happened. I'm not sure what's going on. It doesn't happen on launch, just whenever I load a ship already in orbit. I'm rolling back any changes I've made at all today, not just since I noticed the bug, just in case I did something and just didn't trigger it until now.

Since this morning, I downloaded the latest dev build of the SMS, I downloaded the latest build of animated decouplers and I tweaked the SM to allow decoupling on staging, so I'm working my way backwards in the hope that I find the culprit.

Edit: it turned out editing the SM's part file caused this bug, my bad.:blush:

In the interest of preventing future confusion, what program do you guys usually use to edit parts? Best I can figure, something got corrupted when I edited that part file in notepad, somehow.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I started a new save to see if it was due to a corrupt save, but it still happened. I'm not sure what's going on. It doesn't happen on launch, just whenever I load a ship already in orbit. I'm rolling back any changes I've made at all today, not just since I noticed the bug, just in case I did something and just didn't trigger it until now.

Since this morning, I downloaded the latest dev build of the SMS, I downloaded the latest build of animated decouplers and I tweaked the SM to allow decoupling on staging, so I'm working my way backwards in the hope that I find the culprit.

Edit: it turned out editing the SM's part file caused this bug, my bad.:blush:

In the interest of preventing future confusion, what program do you guys usually use to edit parts? Best I can figure, something got corrupted when I edited that part file in notepad, somehow.

I use (and swear by) Notepad++.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.