0.22 - Shocked

blspblackdeath

While I'm looking forward to all the cool new science stuff I'm quite shocked by a discovery I made by watching the preview videos.

On EVA when the Kerbal is told to gather samples from the ground he doesn't move. Just a window pops up. No animation!!! :-O

I hope it's not jet implemented but coming for 0.22. Because if I remember correctly Squad showed an animation already for it.

Please put in an animation for gathering samples.

Edited by blspblackdeath

I'd love to see them pull out a geologists pick or hammer and whack the ground with it. Those things are fun, and you can use them for other hammer-type activities in a pinch.

AC078801l.jpg

But giving them to kerbals might not be the safest idea...

Edited by Tw1

I'd love to see them pull out a geologists pick or hammer and whack the ground with it. Those things are fun, and you can use them for other hammer-type activities in a pinch.

But them to kerbals might not be the safest idea...

Yes! Let's just hope that they remember to store the tools on the *outside* of the space suit this time.

I remember not too far back Dan showed off some cool animations for kerbal surface sampling. They'd lean over and pick over a small pebble, and if you told them to discard it they'd just wing it into the middle distance. I can't find the link, however. It was beautiful.

I remember not too far back Dan showed off some cool animations for kerbal surface sampling. They'd lean over and pick over a small pebble, and if you told them to discard it they'd just wing it into the middle distance. I can't find the link, however. It was beautiful.

It was during a dev stream I think, or it was a seperate video in one of the old KSP weekly's that got sucked into the April forum-gobbling blackhole. But I do remember it. It's possible it lies forgotten on Dan's HDD while they have been busy with other stuff. That happened with the hitchhiker IVA after all.

Seeing some reports that the entire tech tree takes only 3 launches to complete. Let's hope that is not the case.

Unlikely from what I have seen during the streams bar some exploit or really clever craft design or mission planning, but if that is possible the research node costs or science yield from certain places/experiments will be reduced before release.

EDIT: Oh Scott Manley did it, figures. I'll check that out.

Seeing some reports that the entire tech tree takes only 3 launches to complete. Let's hope that is not the case.

If you're crazy skilled then yes you can do it in 3.

The tech tree is not supposed to last you the whole game. Completing the tech tree does not mean the game is over. The tech tree is designed to slowly introduce new players to the parts as they learn the game. It is not designed to flummox veteran players too much.

You can finish the tech tree in 3-4 launches because they didn't yet implement the money system. Once that comes out, good luck trying to build those multi-story launch vehicles using tier 0 parts when all you have is a couple grand to spend on them.

I'd still really like to see those animations though. Maybe they're waiting for resources to be implemented.

I don't know how to embed videos. What follows will be a showcase of my failures...

direct link while I try to figure this out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CupGRIL2h64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/CupGRIL2h64

I can't embed and was unable to find any info on how you embed from the forums FAQ or help forum threads.

Edit: after making a post in the forum forum... lets see if this works.

Edited by FITorion

One word: alpha - everything is heavy work in progress and things like animations are likely not very high on priority list right now. But in the future I'm pretty sure that we will see kerbals actually picking the samples.

You can finish the tech tree in 3-4 launches because they didn't yet implement the money system. Once that comes out, good luck trying to build those multi-story launch vehicles using tier 0 parts when all you have is a couple grand to spend on them.

And when they also implement proper aerodynamics model... after dealing with cost of such launch - good luck with your crazy science-machine trying not getting torn apart while flying into space :P

Edited by jcraft

Yeah, I was also thinking about money severely limiting the crazy science combines streamers have been making. Also don't forget there are supposed to be difficulty modes, as indicated by some minor lines in the persistence files (so far it just deals with crews respawning). I wouldn't be surprised if decreased max science yield or increased tech node costs would be one element of higher difficulty levels.

animation and the 2 plane interior left. would be great to finaly have a view from inside. even if science will maybe be easy when 0.22 goes out it will be fun to be a noob again, jsut like when i played the demo when i first saw the video of nerdcubed

animation and the 2 plane interior left. would be great to finaly have a view from inside. even if science will maybe be easy when 0.22 goes out it will be fun to be a noob again, jsut like when i played the demo when i first saw the video of nerdcubed

There are mods which provide interiors for both cockpits; my thinking is that the devs will get around to it eventually but they just don't consider it to be worth their time right now. (Or they forgot! :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.