[1] My Rocket Construction

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

Why did I lock this poll?  

1,563 members have voted

1. 1. Why did I lock this poll?

• Because the construction of my first rocket is over.
    • Vote for the next one, thank you. :)

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

The construction is over

Hello, I am currently building my new rocket. I will call it 'Soyuz - I'. I am not decided about the payload for it, but I have a spare chute left. Anyone has any ideas? A satellite, possibly?

Edit: I have added a sophisticated recovery system as a payload.

Specs:

Height: ~0.6

Weight: ~250g

Engine: C6-5 Solid Rocket Booster

Materials: Cardboard, Fireproof paper, Tons of glue and Propellant (engine).

Version 0.8

IMG_20111224_201231.jpgIMG_20111224_201240.jpgIMG_20111224_201246.jpg

New pictures!

IMG_20111224_233026.jpgIMG_20111224_233022.jpgIMG_20111224_233018.jpg

Version 1.0

IMG_20111224_233043.jpg

Added an aluminum ring.

IMG_20111225_003429.jpg

Version 1.1

IMG_20111225_003422.jpg

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

Well, it has to be just a little bit thicker than your thumb... Something thinner than that - I have tons of spare aluminum. Good suggestion though =P

Well, it has to be just a little bit thicker than your thumb... Something thinner than that - I have tons of spare aluminum. Good suggestion though =P

No, silly, just make a plushie stuffed with wadding!

Here\'s an idea:

1.Look up 'how to knit a sackboy'

2.Knit it

3. Cover it in green, orange, etc. felt to look like a kerbonaut

4. Add wire-and-plastic aviators (for jeb 8))

5.????

6.PROFIT!

Now you\'ve got me interested in home rocketry. What did surprise me is how affordable it is, and that the laws seem fairly relaxed on it, which is a rare case in the UK. I\'m just wondering how you got into rocketry?

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

Now you\'ve got me interested in home rocketry. What did surprise me is how affordable it is, and that the laws seem fairly relaxed on it, which is a rare case in the UK. I\'m just wondering how you got into rocketry?

Estes rockets made me interested in this kinda stuff. I have a lot of aluminum cans (Coca Cola) left over. Also, a ton of cardboard to make the base for the rocket. I really am surprised, it\'s my first home-made rocket. ;P

P.S.:

IMG_20111224_234855.jpg

These are the engines that I used. Might be overpowered if you are new to backyard rocketry.

Three engines cost about $15. It is VERY affordable, I will try to make a PVC rocket next time.

One of the most interesting things I found is that you can purchase a cheap spy cam of eBay (around £12 or $15), then launch one of those in your rocket. Their small size makes them perfect.

Thanks for the reply, and I wish you good luck on your launch!

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

One of the most interesting things I found is that you can purchase a cheap spy cam of eBay (around £12 or $15), then launch one of those in your rocket. Their small size makes them perfect.

Thanks for the reply, and I wish you good luck on your launch!

Ok, the launch was successful. It went way off my eye site! The only malfunction was the recovery system - nosecone had failed to pull out the chute. Yet, the rocket is in a surprisingly good shape and is acceptable fora re-use.

It really smells like rotten eggs out here...

From what little knowledge I have of home rocketry, they\'re mostly all one stage. Are you capable of putting together a two-stage rocket?

Two stages are really difficult, you need to have an engine with a delay charge specifically set up to ignite the next engine.

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

Two stages are really difficult, you need to have an engine with a delay charge specifically set up to ignite the next engine.

The D-class engines burn on their top after the main source of propellant is used up. It is good for multi-stage rockets. I don\'t make those yet, but i would like to try :P

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

I would only get into this if I could build my own engines. If I could, then watch for a ballistic missile.

Add KNO3 and Sugar in a coffee bean grinder/blender. Stomp then into a PVC. Done.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Nope, more like metal tanks rigged to a pumping system. With hydrogen peroxide and gasoline. Works better.

Hydrogen peroxide = bleach.

Gasoline = Petroleum.

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

Nope, more like metal tanks rigged to a pumping system. With hydrogen peroxide and gasoline. Works better.

Hydrogen peroxide = bleach.

Gasoline = Petroleum.

Solid fuel < Liquid fuel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.