Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

In general, I consider the two nodes the bracket has to be a hindrance. Even with careful placement, the containers always jitter between the two nodes when I'm placing them. They're just too close together. It's easier to use angle snap to position brackets on surfaces accurately than to constantly struggle with placement of containers.

I used the unoffical module manager method of adding this to the tech tree, and now I have access to everything that can be added in the container parts. I have enough self-restraint not to cheat, but I was under the impressing that only unlocked parts appeared in the container edit menu. Any ideas of what might have gone wrong?

I used the unoffical module manager method of adding this to the tech tree, and now I have access to everything that can be added in the container parts. I have enough self-restraint not to cheat, but I was under the impressing that only unlocked parts appeared in the container edit menu. Any ideas of what might have gone wrong?

From what i understand, the plugin reads the addModule.cfg file to add the parts you can use with the container (except those from the KAS mod themseleves who have this code already in their cfgs).

Now without looking at the plugin code, from what you say i guess it only fetches the parts from that cfg and doesnt see if they are locked or unlocked yet.

I have been working on a script that will eventually extract parameter values from the cfg files and output them into a csv file. During a test, I discovered a misspelling in several KAS cfg files:

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\hook_grapplingHook\grapplingHook.cfg

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\pipe1\pipe1.cfg

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\strut1\strut1.cfg

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\winch1\winch1.cfg

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\winch1\winch2.cfg

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\winch1\winch3.cfg

...\GameData\KAS\Parts\winch1\winch4.cfg

All of these files have maxLength misspelled as "maxLenght"

From what i understand, the plugin reads the addModule.cfg file to add the parts you can use with the container (except those from the KAS mod themseleves who have this code already in their cfgs).

Now without looking at the plugin code, from what you say i guess it only fetches the parts from that cfg and doesnt see if they are locked or unlocked yet.

KAS 0.4.4 has been released. The download on Spaceport (link in the first post) has been updated.

This is a compatibility update for KSP 0.22. KAS does not yet integrate with the new Research and Development system.

Changes in this version:

• The container editor will only show parts that have been unlocked when in career mode.

This sounds to me like it is only supposed to show parts that have been unlocked.

There's -two- nodes to the container bracket. The lower one (When the bracket is placed horizontally) is actually for the bracket to attach to something with a node; if you lock the container into that one, the container won't eject. I found that the easiest way to load containers is to put the brace atop something with a node on top (Just about any part) and THEN load the container into it- then move it to a radial attachment.

OMG! Thats it! They overlap like 95%, hardly to see the 2nd.

Thanks!

In general, I consider the two nodes the bracket has to be a hindrance. Even with careful placement, the containers always jitter between the two nodes when I'm placing them. They're just too close together. It's easier to use angle snap to position brackets on surfaces accurately than to constantly struggle with placement of containers.

Zoom in and look at your work area from a proper angle....I have no issues attaching boxes...and the 2 nodes add versatility.

Not sure what sort of versatility it adds, but to me, mostly, it adds a few seconds to the placement of every container. I can far easier surface-attach the bracket precisely.

Still, that's just a few seconds, and not tremendously difficult. :P

It'd be better if some different kind of system could be used for this. Or if the stack nodes deactivated if placed facing a surface.

This is what I use for KAS in VetTech

@PART[KAS_Container1]:Final {
@TechRequired = start
}

@PART[KAS_Container2]:Final {
@TechRequired = generalConstruction
}

@PART[KAS_ContainerBay1]:Final {
@TechRequired = start
}

@PART[KAS_CPort1]:Final {
}

@PART[KAS_CPort2]:Final {
}

@PART[KAS_Hook_Anchor]:Final {
@TechRequired = landing
}

@PART[KAS_Hook_GrapplingHook]:Final {
}

@PART[KAS_Hook_Magnet]:Final {
@TechRequired = advElectrics
}

@PART[KAS_HookSupport]:Final {
@TechRequired = advElectrics
}

@PART[KAS_Pipe1]:Final {
@TechRequired = fuelSystems
}

@PART[KAS_Pylon1]:Final {
@TechRequired = advConstruction
}

@PART[KAS_Strut1]:Final {
@TechRequired = advConstruction
}

@PART[KAS_Winch1]:Final {
}

@PART[KAS_Winch2]:Final {
}

@PART[KAS_Winch3]:Final {
@TechRequired = specializedConstruction
}

@PART[KAS_Winch4]:Final {
@TechRequired = specializedConstruction
}

Is there any way to store flags in a container? I forgot that my mun science rover prevents me from refilling my flags, but I could stash a bunch in a part container instead.

I think it is TT that has the "re-flaginator" it allows you to put the part on your rover and refill and or change your flags the Kerbals carry. I will look for the thread and edit with a link if I can find it.

Edit: Ok its not TT its MSI and here is the thread not sure if it still works though. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48736-0-22-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Reflaginator-RCS-Refueler-0-2

Edited by Secret Squirrel

If I might make a feature request? Pipes makes it make more sense that you can transfer fuel between different craft linked up by them, would be nice if there was another system above that to make walkways; metal circles/D shapes that hold up an inflated tube of clear/partially clear plastic for transfer of power, fuel, and kerbals (using crew manifest).

On the ground could make several parts/landers/etc link up into a more base like structure and in space could be used like the accordion like extending part at an airport to make a docking seal with ships.

Edited by K3|Chris

On the ground could make several parts/landers/etc link up into a more base like structure and in space could be used like the accordion like extending part at an airport to make a docking seal with ships.

Then all we need is a big plastic wheel for Jeb to run in for exercise, and a giant clear ball for Bill to run and roam the lunar surface in.

Question. Out of nowhere between two reboots the linking action has started detonating the part that the pipe end is attached to. Considering this has cost me a lander, a rover, and three pylons, this is more than a little annoying. What just happened...?

Note this is NOT when I make the link; I can't get that far. All I get is 'right click' 'select link' 'BOOM'

Edited by Tassyr

I'm having an unexpected problem getting EVA attached radial engines to work...

Connected them directly to the fuel tank, but its still saying there's no fuel. Works fine if I turn on infinite fuel in the debug menu...

D3080D9EC46220C164259C9434B5DF93FC1ED089

If I might make a feature request? Pipes makes it make more sense that you can transfer fuel between different craft linked up by them, would be nice if there was another system above that to make walkways; metal circles/D shapes that hold up an inflated tube of clear/partially clear plastic for transfer of power, fuel, and kerbals (using crew manifest).

Look for a mod called ID Strong Struts, they should still work in 0.22, if not I think will only be fast config edit. Its a set of very durable and one of a kind struts...one of them makes a tube kerbals can walk in..another makes walls/walkways..all are placed in VAB same as strut connector.

Is there a way I can make the EVA-struts stronger? I'm currently building a huge ship (own interpretation of the ISV Venture Star from James Cameron's Avatar) and I fear even with some struts, the docked radiator-arms will wobble horribly.

This is really important for me :(