[0.23.5] TreeLoader - Custom Career Tech-tree Loader 1.1.5

r4m0n

I've gotta say, I'm very concerned about how this requests the trees from the net. It's extremely nontransparent. Not to mention that it gives me three trees to select from (when the page claims there should only be one), and the Majiir one doesn't seem any different except for a single added string?

I'm also not a fan of the implied incompatibilities of KSP Interstellar if it requires that we use that dedicated tree.

There's also zero mention of the kspmodders.com, which seems like a ghost town (and a tad bit sketchy) to me.

And I also, when using the only tree that is actually described by this thread, get a Lithium canister from KSP interstellar in the first node.

Edited by TomatoSoup

In any other context than KSP, this would make perfect sense. But KSP lets you stack as many tiny fuel tanks as you like.

Although this does open up the concept of voluntarily choosing not to stack one fuel tank on top of another, for exactly the reasons you mention. Hmm... It honestly never occurred to me that stacking fuel tanks could be considered unrealistic and an exploit of game mechanics, just like air hogging a dozen intakes. This could actually be inspiring!

As an added challenge to myself, I have stopped stacking Fuel tanks. Playing the game with only one fuel tank per engine is actually a lot harder than it first might seem

I've gotta say, I'm very concerned about how this requests the trees from the net. It's extremely nontransparent.

I had no idea, and will be removing the mod (as much as I love it's idea) until this is fixed or clarified. This is one data storage location hack away from becoming malicious regardless of the purity of intent on the part of the mods. I can't be sure what safeguards KSP has in place for this kind of thing, but a dll being loaded by an executable running on your system that can access and download files on the net makes me nervous as hell.

Are any other mods doing this?

I had no idea, and will be removing the mod (as much as I love it's idea) until this is fixed or clarified. This is one data storage location hack away from becoming malicious regardless of the purity of intent on the part of the mods. I can't be sure what safeguards KSP has in place for this kind of thing, but a dll being loaded by an executable running on your system that can access and download files on the net makes me nervous as hell.

Are any other mods doing this?

The source code is posted, and it's clear that the mod can't execute anything that comes down from the net. If you want to be afraid of something, remember that the KSP site got hacked, and the patcher gets auto-downloaded from it when the game starts :-)

A couple clarifications on the online part. When you first make a new save with the mod installed it interfaces with the server to pull the list of currently available trees. Once you select a tree, it downloads a tree.cfg (text file, readable in any text editor), or if you select stock it creates a blank notree.cfg file, in the save directory. From that point on, it functions offline unless you start a new save, at which point the process repeats. If you don't have an internet connection when making a new save, it will just have the stock tree option, but once you've selected a custom tree it's saved locally and doesn't require an internet connection.

You could actually install a tree without an internet connection if you had a tree.cfg file by simply placing it in the save file while the mod is installed, and when the editor becomes available people will be able to distribute trees to each other via this method, but for now it just connects to the server.

As to the question of the number of trees visible, at the time treeloader was first posted, mine was the only tree ready, but once other tree makers inform R4m0n that their tree is ready, it just has to be flagged to appear on the treeloader list, otherwise it just appears in the editor version. So as other modders complete their trees, they will populate the list further.

After tinkering with my KSP, turns out I had copied the KW rocketry in the GameData folder wrong. After fixing this and copying it properly, I tested a few things, which sadly only confirmed my initial statement - Custom trees do not work with KW Rocketry(maybe with other mods too).

This means that when all mod authors create their mods and tie them to the stock tree - those mods won't work with any other tech tree (I even have doubts about multiple mods merging in the stock tree).

So what I tested with the proper KW Rocketry installation:

1. My Yargnit tree save with a few already researched nodes:

- No KW Rocketry parts under any visible node;

- No KW Rocketry parts(greyed/non-greyed) in the VAB;

2. A new game with the Yargnit tree:

- No KW Rocketry parts under any visible node;

- No KW Rocketry parts(greyed/non-greyed) in the VAB;

3. A new game with the stock tech tree:

- All KW Rocketry parts are visible in the tech tree;

- When researched, all KW Rocketry parts show in the VAB and can be used.

I am afraid the tech tree loader is useless at this point, unless you play stock...

There's one thing I fail to grasp ... Is it possible to use concurrent trees from multiple mods with TreeLoader?

ie. I want NovaPunch alongside Interstellar Mod... are these going to play nice alongside with TreeLoader?

I'm having trouble loading the TreeLoader... Whenever I have it in my Game_data folder, the game just gets stuck-up after the loading screen on... the loading screen... The black-screen one, with the little planets rotating to the right, I mean...

I also have that, error log says something like 'key is already used'.

EDIT: I am getting this l9P3rK1.png

EDIT2: Disregard this, i got proper module from this thread and now works.

Edited by trvtannenberg

The idea is great, the implementation however seems to have some issues. If every modder out there can lay out his own tech tree, we are guaranteed to run into these issues.

Therefore, modders should honor the "stock" tech tree to prevent conflicts between different mods. Add to a stock node, add your own node, but please leave stuff where it is in stock!

Then, we'd be able to "fusion" different extended tech trees from different mods together since we'd have the "common core" (pun intended) on which to build upon. We could do that by selecting multiple extended trees, because we'd all be using the stock tree as a basis.

If mods change the stock tree, we're doomed, it's going to be anarchist paradise. :-P

Thanks R4m0n, this is excellent! I'm curious as I would like to smash a bunch of mods into the tech tree: Will TreeEdit be publicly available soon? Does it make creating a custom tree easier than text editing? As of right now it seems the best way to create a custom tree to is edit individual part.cfg files to include them in a tree then edit a tree.cfg file to include all the parts in the right location. Doable, but time consuming.

Note: By the time this is answered I'll probably have my custom tree finished, but I'm super curious to know anyway! Thanks again!

After trying both, I'd say I like Majir's tree better. It allows you to make worthwhile probes earlier than the Yargnit tree.

Though I think that more deeply modded trees like what NathanKell is putting together will be where it's at for old players ;)

r4m0n, or anyone else who might be able to answer...

With the latest version of treeloader, my KSP interstellar tech tree now works with KSPX and proc fairings. I'm trying to get Kethane and KAS into this as well. I added the techrequired and entrycost to the part.cfg's, but the parts don't show up. Is this because I'm using a custom tree, or...? If I have to wait for the official tech-friendly releases I will, was just trying to get a jump on things :wink:

r4m0n, or anyone else who might be able to answer...

With the latest version of treeloader, my KSP interstellar tech tree now works with KSPX and proc fairings. I'm trying to get Kethane and KAS into this as well. I added the techrequired and entrycost to the part.cfg's, but the parts don't show up. Is this because I'm using a custom tree, or...? If I have to wait for the official tech-friendly releases I will, was just trying to get a jump on things :wink:

Anything with a technology requirement should now work in its default node unless that is explicitly overridden by the creator of the tree. I didn't have any other mods installed when I created the tech tree for interstellar so it should work just as KSPX and proc fairings do.

Maybe just check the nodes ids against the ones in the stock part.cfgs, make sure there are no typos or anything and make sure you go back to the R&D centre and click to unlock all the parts - this is particularly important if you install a mod after loading the tech tree.

Has anybody tried some of these new tech trees while also using edited Science values to slow down progress?

I plan on working on a hardcore tech tree to be designed to accompany adding biomes to the rest of the planets/moons. The idea being you'll actually have to explore the majority of the biomes on each planet to accumulate enough science to progress. It would also have data transmission severely nerfed or completely eliminated to force all missions to be return missions. But this will be a bit in the future still.

I plan on working on a hardcore tech tree to be designed to accompany adding biomes to the rest of the planets/moons. The idea being you'll actually have to explore the majority of the biomes on each planet to accumulate enough science to progress. It would also have data transmission severely nerfed or completely eliminated to force all missions to be return missions. But this will be a bit in the future still.

That last bit makes absolutly no sense, was mentioned in another thread. The ONLY science currently ingame that should have to be returned is soil samples. Everything else is just reports (i think its safe to assume these reports are writen, maybe with pics and a bit of raw data). Where is the logic in making a report have to be returned rather than transmited? Just something to think about if your going for realism rather than just making it harder.

This sounds great!

For the moment, I've experimented around with your tech tree and Regex's 1/3 science return cfg, and I think that's the configuration I'm going to play with. Comfortably slow enough progress to feel like it's telling an interesting story, yet fast enough to not feel like a mere grind for grinding's sake.

Okay so I spent the day trying to hack out a personalized tech tree using one of the Treeloader trees as a base. I think I may have screwed up the tree a little by removing the "Start" node as the first node (felt redundant). Any tips or tricks on this? Or is there something special that the Treeloader does to the cfg file to make it run properly?

I'm hoping to have a functionally modded semi-realistic tech tree in the works for an upcoming project. Without an easy fix for the treeloader I'll just have to keep hacking away at a manual text file writeup.

Edit: Hammered on it a bit more and have found that while I can edit a tree (or add my own once a notree.cfg is loaded then edited to tree.cfg) it works until the R&D Facility loads then it flashes my completed tree list then loads only a single selectable node portion of the tree as visible. The initial parts are loaded into the VAB plus any configured for the default tree (with the TechID in their part.cfg) but they don't show in the R&D facility. Taking a look at the source code it looks like this is caused by an internal refresh of the Treeloader, but I'm unsure.

Edited by 4KbShort
Made some progress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.