Have you ever had a non-intentional collision in orbit?

PTNLemay

Have you ever had a non-intentional collision in orbit?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a non-intentional collision in orbit?

• No, never.
    • Yes, once.
    • Yes, several times.

I don't allow any debris to remain, but I have undocked a couple of times, nudged back a tiny amount, timewarped and promptly smacked into it again :)

I just posted a video on Youtube where I crashed with my station, but that was on approach so it probably doesn't count. It was a pretty fast approach, however.

Ooo, I'd lost track of your series. Time to get back on it ^^

I've never had any fluke encounters resulting in collisions (though have come within 2.5km of other objects a few times) but I've had a very destructive collision before - I had put a mapping sat into orbit, and was deorbiting the upper stage of the launcher. I completely forgot to flip the stage retrograde - I'd decoupled, allowed things to drift a couple of hundred meters apart, and then hit z, resulting in the stage punching straight through the sat. Little bits of solar panel EVERYWHERE - I only wrote off about 30k of tech, so not an awful mistake to make, but certainly a bit embarrassing.

I've only had a orbital collision once... but it was one heck of a doozy...

Had a nice little space station under construction, was on about the 7th module with 4 kerbals on board, with 2 more piloting the rocket docked to the ship to transfer crew (Jeb was on the station, and I really wanted him for my first manned Duna Mission). Everything was fine...

Then the plot of "Gravity" happened... an old failed spaceplane project came out of of the black (ironically one of the shuttles I tried to use for my station missions). I remember it was a unmanned test probe, made it to orbit, but ran out of power and I had forgotten the solar panels. So it ended up floating around dead in space with no way of controlling it.

Working on docking a new part to my station when I see the cursed spaceplane approaching... first saw it around 1.2km away... next thing i know... KABLAMMO! Stations in pieces... Luckily nobody died, the second thing up to that station was the escape pods (which also luckily survived impact) so the 4 man crew was safely jettisoned down to kerbin. The shuttle on the other hand took a massive hit, lost 2 engines, one of its wings, and was pretty much uncontrollable, so those guys spent a few days in orbit until I could get up to them... (you think I would have learned, but that empty broken shuttle was left in orbit...)

and to this day, I STILL can't be bothered to clean up the debris in my orbit :D (and just deleting it feels like cheating)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.