2012 survival rocket challenge

ok, the idea is to make a rocket with the most life support modules.

Size does matter, we don\'t know how many kerbals there are, but we are 1% sure they are all going to die very soon, this calls for a massive evacuation.

Challenge: make a rocket capable of carrying massive amounts of kerbals

- all mods allowed

- Stock have their own category

- Kookie points (Kookie is a term i used before the great K dispute) for those that put the ship out of harms way on the Mün.

- Kerbol orbits are not safe, their is a 0.1 % chance the ship will come back to the doomed kerbin.. and crash anyways.

only screenies needed. i trust users not to modify properties.

Original idea by Caesar15

Current runner ups;

- gabyalufix (Holder of the kookie)

- trbinsc (With the best kerbalistic design)

- RedDwarfIV

Current Losses to kerbol:

-SteevyT

Edit: Back !! and oh.. dead thread.. this isnt organised for a reason !! : kerbals aren\'t that organise, and they would be obviously .. chaotic in the event of a cataclysm..

Kestrel proved too weak to carry it. However, I have used a Sunbird I ascent stage, and the C7 large cockpit to create this ugly hybrid:

m04Eb.png

Its supposed to have a satellite on the nose which has solar panels on it, but its made from a decoupler. So I need to give it an extra stage of its own.

As you can see, it has the fuel to reach Mun. All I have to do now it get it there and land it.

Kestrel proved too weak to carry it. However, I have used a Sunbird I ascent stage, and the C7 large cockpit to create this ugly hybrid:

m04Eb.png

Its supposed to have a satellite on the nose which has solar panels on it, but its made from a decoupler. So I need to give it an extra stage of its own.

As you can see, it has the fuel to reach Mun. All I have to do now it get it there and land it.

Yuck, and that is way to small to keep the kerbal race alive.

Yuck, and that is way to small to keep the kerbal race alive.

7 humans is all you need for a genetic pool that can be varied enough to minoritise inbreeding as a problem. There are six habitation modules there, and assuming each carries two Kerbals, that\'s twelve of them. Assuming the cockpit is then used as an oxygen garden with vegetables/grass to eat, they can survive there. A tiny little community on the Mun with no hope of escape.

And in any case, 707 said \'as many habitation modules as possible\'. This is because the Kerbals want as many people as possible on a single escape ship, but that doesn\'t mean that there aren\'t other evacuation ships.

And anyway, I haven\'t seen your version of the Pandorum yet. Assuming that\'s the name of the ship.

-Snip-

we have a runner up !! and yes there could be more ships to follow.. just not that many or quickly enough.. nice job so far !

we have a runner up !! and yes there could be more ships to follow.. just not that many or quickly enough.. nice job so far !

Currently working on a way of slowiing it down for Munar landing. Last attempt, I waited far too long and had a \'road traffic collision\'.

24 Habitation modules with gravity, plus a large central area without it. I\'m pretending each habitation module can fit 5 kerbals in cryogenic suspension, so 120 kerbals. if for any reason they wanted to wake up, they would take an EVA into the center module. That\'s where the life support/recreational area is. It is also at escape velocity from Kerbol, so it will be drifting for pretty much until it gets to its destination star system, which would pretty much take a couple hundred thousand years.

Ifd8s.png

z1o2A.png 8)

24 Habitation modules with gravity, plus a large central area without it. I\'m pretending each habitation module can fit 5 kerbals in cryogenic suspension, so 120 kerbals. if for any reason they wanted to wake up, they would take an EVA into the center module. That\'s where the life support/recreational area is. It is also at escape velocity from Kerbol, so it will be drifting for pretty much until it gets to its destination star system, which would pretty much take a couple hundred thousand years.

Ifd8s.png

z1o2A.png 8)

I looked at it. Then I looked at it again. Then I lol\'ed.

I was talking with my Dad about your spacecraft. Whilst my original problem with it was the solar panels losing energy away from Kerbol, my Dad mentioned how by the time you lose power to your cryo control systems, you gain absolute zero from space, and your controlled cryo freeze has prevented damaging ice-crystal formulation.

However, my Dad said the real problem was insulation and radiation once you reach the new star system, as the few watts you get from your panels won\'t get you enough energy to your fridges to overcome the kW of heat getting into your craft.

Despite my irritation with your means of getting it into space, I can\'t say its against the rules.

Following a lengthy and tedious process of slowing the craft down for a Munar landing, I touched it down momentarily. The craft then sent itself flying off on a tangeant and crashed before control could be regained.

12 families recieved telegraphs.

-snip-

However, my Dad said the real problem was insulation and radiation once you reach the new star system, as the few watts you get from your panels won\'t get you enough energy to your fridges to overcome the kW of heat getting into your craft.

-snip-

That\'s why it has batteries, to supply energy for everything before it gets close enough to use solar power. One thing I forgot though, there probably isn\'t enough fuel to brake into an orbit around a planet in the new star system.

That\'s why it has batteries, to supply energy for everything before it gets close enough to use solar power. One thing I forgot though, there probably isn\'t enough fuel to brake into an orbit around a planet in the new star system.

Batteries? I hope you aren\'t reffering to that very same electrical storage device that leaked inside my torch and stopped it working?

Battery acid leaking all over a space station doesn\'t sound fun.

But if it doesn\'t leak, I congratulate you on an interesting design.

Batteries? I hope you aren\'t reffering to that very same electrical storage device that leaked inside my torch and stopped it working?

Battery acid leaking all over a space station doesn\'t sound fun.

But if it doesn\'t leak, I congratulate you on an interesting design.

Alright, batteries are out, how about radio-isotope thermal generators?

41 Habitation Modules, safely landed on the mun. Can\'t remember where I got the parts. The super-long tanks is from skypiercer.

Big rocket, only 2 stages: a set of solid boosters and the liquid fuel boosters, the latter of which keep us going right up until the end. The first stage technically included all the engines, including the main-stage liquid fuel engines. I needed them to be partially throttled up, so that I could use their gimballing to keep me on course. The eight massive uber-solid-boosters provided most of the thrust.

h0tzp.jpg

TaXeL.jpg

But stage 2 is no chump either. 21x LV-T300 1m liquid fuel engines, attached to a super-long tank. In past tests, i made it into solar orbit, without the solid boosters.

A few pics of the main stage:

20 hab mods + the command module on the top deck. 21 hab mods on the bottom.

G51Uf.png

0HbmZ.jpg

A7EkB

On munar approach. this part is REALLY touchy. I have no RCS, so all my changes in direction come from the engine gimballing.

zzIBx.jpg

f2NLV.jpg

I MADE IT! Jeb looks disappointed.

8R91u.jpg

cf3Vk.jpg

epxjr.jpg

Sunset over the last kerbins in the universe. If they had brought any poets along, they might have been able to link this to an appropriate metaphor.

6RAid.jpg

pWhrm.jpg

Next year, in Kerusalem!

SRgTs.png

Not bad at all. A few of those RCS tanks got snapped off by the stupid tower on the way up. That\'s probably part of why it was so hard to keep it stable.

srFm3.jpg

Note, not all attempts were a complete, unqualified success. In my first try, a few habitation mods exploded when the tower tipped over on landing. Most of them survived, however.

S9um2.jpg

Ok, fine, maybe 'Landing' is too strong a word. 'Jebification', perhaps.

Anyhoo, I Included the craft file. You\'ll need all the mod packs, but I don\'t think I used anything too crazy or out-of-the-ordinary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.