[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

just like on earth it depends on circumstances scattering shifts the skiy's coloring blue under the same circumstances it would on Earth

As the surface is red and the dust in the lower atmosphere is red, the circumstances are not the same. Mars from the surface of Mars is generally distinctly red. From orbit, the upper atmosphere can appear somewhat blueish, altough the surface and lower atmosphere will also appear red.

Edited by Camacha

maybe it's just me but I kinda don't want planets to get their real names :P

we're still playing with lil green men here, and the planets/moons are hardly the same as our own (similar, but not the same)

its just hard to tell what planet that represent such as minmus representating titan!

I don't care about Neptune or Uranus that much, but I do want something to be Saturn (and something else Titan) so people can do Cassini-Huygens missions.

Reddragon, that's strange; last we tested Duna was ok.

Also, since radius is a physical characteristic I did rescale it for all bodies. When I said no new graphics, I meant I hadn't changed color or terrain (other than for Earth/Moon); I certainly did change radius. :)

Kragathea added Saturn-like gas giant with rings, you should talk to him, maybe you can add an actual Saturn

All I can say is...damn. I thought 10k dV would be enough for visiting anything, well it's not. It somehow go to Jool though and it's..slightly larger than I thought it would be. I guess I'll need to research some gravity assists from Mars.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also check out my Mach 1150 aerobreaking.

Atmosphere is always blueish from the surface due to the basic physics - the effect is known as Rayleigh scattering.

Well, it's basically true, but it assumes a reasonably clear air. Mars atmosphere does look reddish-brown from it's surface, because there's always plenty of dust in the air there. Similarly, Earth atmosphere in big, polluted cities is often more dull gray than blue.

As the surface is red and the dust in the lower atmosphere is red, the circumstances are not the same. Mars from the surface of Mars is generally distinctly red. From orbit, the upper atmosphere can appear somewhat blueish, altough the surface and lower atmosphere will also appear red.

If I go to Death Valley, and get caught in a dust storm that turns the sky grayish-brown, that doesn't mean Earth had a grayish-brown sky. The base color is going to be blue because of the scattering effect on the shortest visible wavelengths. That's even independent of the molecular composition of its atmosphere.

Well, it's basically true, but it assumes a reasonably clear air. Mars atmosphere does look reddish-brown from it's surface, because there's always plenty of dust in the air there. Similarly, Earth atmosphere in big, polluted cities is often more dull gray than blue.

Yes but you're talking about an effect that's separate from the sky's basic color. If you were modeling Earth and made the sky gray because of a few smoggy cities it would look wrong for the sky as a whole. It wouldn't be realistic.

Edited by Starwaster

What did you use to build that rocket? It looks amazing!

If you mean parts, it's KW Rocketry (for fairings, I've modded fairing base to become control pod so I could get rid of additional control pod for Centaur, also for booster separation motors), stretchy tanks for fuel tanks, MFSC for filling them with appropriate fuels (KeroLOx for the booster, HydroLOx for the Centaur), a bit of stock structutes to build interstage, Dummy Weights mod for payload, and private Real Engines mod for the engines (RD-180 for the booster and RD-0146 for the Centaur, I don't have RL10 engines, but RD-0146 is almost the same as RL10, just a bit higher Isp).

The reason I used KW Farings instead of procedural fairing is that this whole rocket is saved as subassembly so I could attach it to whatever payload I need it to haul.

You know, I was watching a movie about Zubrin last night and as a result of that and the short exchanges here in this thread about Mars / Duna I had a dream that I went to Mars. Apparently I crashed though and I was the only one, gathering what I could from the wreckage to survive.... taking shelter under the heat shield that had crashed nearby.... (though I think IRL it would likely have landed further away....)

I hope we go to Mars in my lifetime. though I'm skeptical we will. Hopefully Elon Musk proves me wrong. He and Zubrin should totally get together if they haven't already.

Yes but you're talking about an effect that's separate from the sky's basic color. If you were modeling Earth and made the sky gray because of a few smoggy cities it would look wrong for the sky as a whole. It wouldn't be realistic.

On Mars, this effect dominates for most of the year. Mars is simply perpetually dusty. If you look at photos from Mars landers and rovers, the sky is either pink-ish, yellow or (rarely) dirty green, probably depending on time of day. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I think you could imagine a future Earth where making the whole sky gray would be realistic.

On Mars, this effect dominates for most of the year. Mars is simply perpetually dusty. If you look at photos from Mars landers and rovers, the sky is either pink-ish, yellow or (rarely) dirty green, probably depending on time of day. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I think you could imagine a future Earth where making the whole sky gray would be realistic.

You have to be careful with those photos because a lot of them have unnatural color filters applied to them. I'm serious about that. Even the ones that come from NASA.

If you look for Martian photos from the landers you will find plenty in real color that show a sky as blue as any you can find on Earth.

Actually, in the interest of accuracy I have to amend part of the above. When I said even the ones that come from NASA what I really meant was especially the ones from NASA. And that's not done here, the cameras themselves on some of the probes were tuned to filter them. I have no idea why. If you look at the Viking images, focus on shots that include the lander's hull. The Martian atmosphere itself shouldn't filter the light enough to tint the white hulls red and yet in a lot of those shots they're noticeably pink.

Edited by Starwaster

Question, can we make this a scenario type thing? I love this idea, but there are times I would like to play the normal KSP solar system.

Install a second copy of KSP without this mod.

@Xnerd_Bomber: A craft with about 8.8km/s dV(with a ridiculously efficient launch) or 9.5km/s dV if you're not a god.

Here's an example launcher(it has a test payload of something like 50 tons or such. Can't remember).

Fjm7GXy.png

@OopsThatNotWork: Make two different installs for KSP.

How are people getting things into orbit?

Does anyone have a good example craft to help me out?

Do you have MFT and FAR installed? And you could build rockets based on real life ones, make sure you have around 9 km/s dV and you should make it :)

I think my KSP is broken, I have installed this mod, along with FAR, MFT, ST and PF. I also have Crew Manifest, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Docking Alignment and Mechjeb + Module Manager and KJR.

• My rockets flip around and stuff in atmosphere while trying to get into orbit, and yet they are structurally and sound (fairings and such)
  • I only need 3km of delta-v to get into orbit. Mechjeb just stops at 300km up, to coast to apoapsis..
  • Any form of control, reaction wheels, control surfaces, fins, seems to make my rockets flip out more... I really want to enjoy this... Please help!

For now, I will make a fresh install, download all the realistic mods and see if that works...