[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Perhaps you just don't understand the Chain of Command ;)

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ââ€Â»Ã¢â€Âââ€Â»

@Nathan

When in orbit, lights from vessels illuminate the planet. In normal Kerbin this only occurred during timewarp. Does this have to do with the scaled space thing you mentioned in the first post as a known problem?

Just finished my Atlas V 401 replica. The margin of error of this rocket is SO THIN! RD-180 shuts down at 4:10 seconds into the flight travelling at 4.5 km/s but the upper stage is so low powered that it actually passes Ap before reaching orbit, so it climbs up, then falls down a bit before the Ap rises back again on the opposite side of the planet... Just like in real life! Managed to put 6 tonne payload into low orbit but took me 5 attempts and several videos of real life launches so get it right! At first I was like - 'No way, dis ting should be SO POWERFUL' but after synchronizing with real telemetry everything matched up! Sooo like real life!

Congrats again, Nathan! This actually can be taught in universities!!!

@BoZo because if you have KIDS and a real life planet you would need like 20km/s deltav maybe?

KIDS is for stock planets, to make it as hard as in real life to get into orbit and stuff. But with rescaled planets it is already like real life!

Nope, KIDS doesn't change dV needed for an orbit. It does change how hard it is to attain such dV. Though there's indeed no point of using it with RL sized planets.

@BoZo because if you have KIDS and a real life planet you would need like 20km/s deltav maybe?

KIDS is for stock planets, to make it as hard as in real life to get into orbit and stuff. But with rescaled planets it is already like real life!

Oh really? Sure it took a couple of hours in career mode to get to orbit but I thought it felt realistic...

Edit: Although now that I think about it I'm not sure if KIDS is working correctly, I'll have to check it when I get home.

Edited by BoZo

diablos: I meant v4 (I got confused). That's now released, and it fixes the issues you mentioned.

Yeah, with KIDS on FAR to real adjusted you'd need a quite incredible mass ratio for orbit. That's like 155s Isp max, yikes!

If anything, for this mod, as ferram said in the realism overhaul thread, KIDS might make sense as training wheels where you set the multipliers to something greater than one each, to, y'know, ease you in from stock KSP so you don't have to go straight from .16 payload fraction to .015 payload fraction.

Had some time in my hands, nothing else to do, so I recorded this:

The external tank and boosters are mass and delta-v identical to rl. The orbiter is lighter by about 15t, but its aero reentry profile is working so I don't want to mess with its CG position... yet. This perhaps is leading to MECO being 1 minute earlier than RL.

Obviously using RealKerbin, FAR and MFS, besides B9, KW and the 1:1 SRB made by 1096bimu.

(I think at this point anyone has noticed I'm a bit obsessed with the space shuttle :D)

What mechjeb ascent profile is that?

Seems smooth - me wantey.

I've made an apollo like lander, but it's damn hard to get to orbit. So far I'm 900m/s short and the nuclear stage on the CM doesn't have nearly enough thrust to get it there.

Just to clarify, the payload to orbit is about 70 tons IIRC, the whole rocket is 3770.

You should really get the Real Modular Fuel mod.

It makes changes the fuel to mass ratios to realistic therefore making orbiting easier.

How do you manage to steer that 4000t ton rocket?

Edited by p3asant

My heavy rockets have some additional RCS in the stage tanks, with linear ports(to each side) so I can steer it once out of the thick atmosphere where my pitch and yaw is provided for by fins/stabilizers. It seems to work quite well, bar the added weight.

You should really get the Real Modular Fuel mod.

It makes changes the fuel to mass ratios to realistic therefore making orbiting easier.

How do you manage to steer that 4000t ton rocket?

I tried it but it doesn't work with the F-1 engine or more importantly stretchy tanks. It would surely help a ton (no pun intended) with the insane mass of the thing.

There are configs for stretchy tanks. I found a conflict when using the patch for it though where you can't set some of the tanks' values, but the one fully re-sizeable one is completely useable, along with the SRB. The F-1 engine just doesn't have configs for it.

That looks like a [Thor-]Delta A on steroids!

I'm about to release the latest versions of MFS and ST-patched; that should get interoperability into the "pretty darn good" range, from where it was on my prior releases.

I can add the F-1 too. I'll give it realified stats. (MFS assumes thrust plates are part of engine mass, so your engine will mass somewhere between 20-40% more than its specs say it should, but the tank will mass less.)

There are configs for stretchy tanks. I found a conflict when using the patch for it though where you can't set some of the tanks' values, but the one fully re-sizeable one is completely useable, along with the SRB. The F-1 engine just doesn't have configs for it.

EDIT: NVM, Nathan replied.

@Nathan I'd love you if you add F-1 support, it's such a great engine.

EDIT: NVM, Nathan replied.

@Nathan I'd love you if you add F-1 support, it's such a great engine.

I'm using this config for the F1 engine:

@PART[F1_RocketMotor]:Final //Matriarch
{
//@title = Dux-TL4
@mass = 8.4
@maxTemp = 5600
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@maxThrust = 6773
@heatProduction = 500
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 315
@key,1 = 1 263
}
@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
{
@name = LiquidFuel
@ratio = 0.39
}
@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
{
@name = LiquidOxygen
@ratio = 0.61
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 0.5
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
techLevel = 4
origTechLevel = 4
engineType = L
origMass = 8.4
configuration = LiquidFuel+LiquidOxygen
modded = false
CONFIG
{
name = LiquidFuel+LiquidOxygen
maxThrust = 6773
heatProduction = 500

PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.39
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidOxygen
ratio = 0.61
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 315
key = 1 263
}
IspSL = 1.01
IspV = 1.01
}

}
}

If you use this, you'll need to go to the hakari/parts/F1 rocket engine/part.cfg and change the part name to f1_RocketMotor

I had to rename the orginal part name because it had spaces in it.

Yeah, I will officially require all spaces removed, otherwise MFS won't work. :]

In other news, terrain fixing proceeds apace:

(Thanks again, ZRM, for the variable dumps--let me build off the existing values without writing my own dumper. Very helpful!)

3Ym4U20l.png

In other news, terrain fixing proceeds apace:

(Thanks again, ZRM, for the variable dumps--let me build off the existing values without writing my own dumper. Very helpful!)

3Ym4U20l.png

That's very impressive! How did you do it? As I see it's not entirely the same as the stock mountains but maybe I'm wrong.