Eve attempts

-RanZ-

Have you attempted an Eve accent?  

1. 1. Have you attempted an Eve accent?

• Yes - Success!
    • Yes - Failure
    • No - Have not attempted

An Eve accent? Why yes, it is quite a strange accent to pronounce. It's very deep, and sounds like you're dying and gagging when you do it. :wink:

In seriousness, I've never tried it before. I do want to try an Eve landing without return at some point, though. Eve One, who wants to sign up? :)

Eve is my new favorite place! But it's also the only place I can reliably (twice) get to besides Mun and Min. My first trip was a bare probe, the second was a science probe with, science bay and goo and some other trinkets. I was hoping to make my 3rd trip as a little rover (un-manned), but now I'm skeptical after reading this horror of a thread….

T

I Hyperedited my lander into Eve orbit for testing, made several landings and ascents before I gave up on the grand tour I had planned. Pretty sure I still have the lander craft file. It was some 60 tons sans deorbit gear.

I tend to overbuild my missions. For this reason, an Eve return is pretty hairy. Mission creep led me to design a gilly return mission lander with 2000 dV and a transfer stage providing an additional 2000. How much fuel I burned to bring too much fuel... I'm considering a sample return probe, leaving the Science JR and the goo behind, in favor of tiny science instruments. I'm considering building what amounts to rockets attached to a chair. Ive got the perfect transfer stage, and a space station in eve orbit ready for the mission.

I wonder about the feasibility of a rescue mission. Knowing you won't be able to attain full orbit, burn up high enough to be plucked and docked by a highly maneuverable rescue craft. Would be a nail-biter, and the docking would be horrific, but I can imagine making it work.

Edited by thiosk

I have been playing Battlefield 4 and GTA V and have not had time to resume this mission. Since I am just short of making it to orbit I may just scrap it and start a new rescue mission with .23. I am half tempted to do a mobile launch platform so I can move the return craft to higher ground after landing. This mission may not have been successful but I learned a lot from the failure though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.