[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Try making a game with only KAC and SCANsat and see if it happens again. Repost in the thread if it does. I haven't heard of any mod conflictions yet though.

I am running a slew and haven't seen any conflicts yet. I have SCANsat, KAC, TACfuelbalancer, Steam gauges, VOID not to mention a whole bunch of part packs and other stuff. No problems, No conflicts, just my Big map wont re-render when open. I have to close and reopen. Its fine on the small one though, and I am sure that's not a conflict (ok, mostly sure :) )

My apologies if this has been asked before, but does this have any known conflicts with other mods? When I started a RADAR Scan, it caused parts of my interface to disappear (namely the Kerbal Alarm Clock window), but also caused the pause screen to disappear. (I press escape and the game pauses, but the pause screen doesn't actually appear). I assume that the SCANsat interface is supposed to appear when I start a RADAR Scan, but that isn't happening either. Any suggestions would be quite welcome. Thanks. :)

I've been using SCANSat since the very first version posted along with Kerbal Alarm Clock, and a wide range of other mods, and have not seen any problems.

If part of the interface disappears, it's possible there's an exception that's thrown somewhere while the GUI is being built. If that's the case then it'll show up in KSP_Data/output_log.txt or in the debug console (Alt-F2).

SO, I know anomalies exist

The Kerbin Monoliths, The Mun Arches, the Bop Kraken, Neil Armstrong Memorial)

and I know ISAmapsat showed the location of said anomalies (One of the reasons I never downloaded it) Does this do the same, or is there an option to disable that feature?

SO, I know anomalies exist

The Kerbin Monoliths, The Mun Arches, the Bop Kraken, Neil Armstrong Memorial)

and I know ISAmapsat showed the location of said anomalies (One of the reasons I never downloaded it) Does this do the same, or is there an option to disable that feature?

Two of its scanners will detect anomalies, but you can simply choose not to use them (and could go ahead and remove the parts altogether).

SO, I know anomalies exist ... Does this do the same, or is there an option to disable that feature?

You have to use a specific sensor to find anomalies, if you don't use it then it won't show them.

Mapping new worlds =P

qFqbyCw.png

@Banana: Kinda sounds like some of your issue may not so much be coming from SCAN sat as other mods. Try SCAn on a vanilla instal and see what issues ya still have, then add the suspect mods, see what ones are causing the problems. Sometimes ya get this with a mod game and unstandardized plugins, some mods may not play nice together...and its may not be something damny can fix if its coming from another mods code.

Mapping new worlds =P

qFqbyCw.png

@Banana: Kinda sounds like some of your issue may not so much be coming from SCAN sat as other mods. Try SCAn on a vanilla instal and see what issues ya still have, then add the suspect mods, see what ones are causing the problems. Sometimes ya get this with a mod game and unstandardized plugins, some mods may not play nice together...and its may not be something damny can fix if its coming from another mods code.

The issue is with the order in which mods that use plugins with a UI are loaded, I suspect. On my loading screen, SCANsat is pretty much the last to load, save for Fractal's KSPI, which means the SCAN plugin is loaded after things like Infernal Robotics and Lazor which means their UI gets priority...

At least, that's how I imagine it...

Also, nice looking ship...

Damny, and anyone experienced making parts - I'm trying to integrate a part I've made into SCANsat so that when I click the activate scanning button it also triggers the antenna extension, and then reverses upon stopping scanning. I can't really see a way of doing this. Any ideas?

Excellent mod, tried it out last night ... but please, please come up with some "probe-sized" parts for the official release. The current placeholders are a bit large, especially when we have to mount more than one in place of a single ISA dish.

Any one of the 3 sensors made for orbit does more than ISA on its own......and if ya think the placeholders are to big go look at the actual equipment used to do this kind of data gathering on Earth.

Also, there seems to be issues with scanning Krags planets:

ec9WCFL.png

ALt, slope, and biome map look the same

I'm trying to integrate a part I've made into SCANsat so that when I click the activate scanning button it also triggers the antenna extension, and then reverses upon stopping scanning. I can't really see a way of doing this. Any ideas?

All I know is it could be done from the corresponding methods in the PartModule, I don't know if there's a way that doesn't need a code change.

Also, there seems to be issues with scanning Krags planets:

Looks like that planet has no terrain (LO and HI are red in the small window) and no biome map (BIO is red). You'd get something similar from Jool.

Oh YAY! Also, has this been included into the Tech tree?

Technically: yes, but all parts are in the 'basic rocketry' node :). So you get near-immediate access.

Spreading them out isn't a priority yet (though I could mock something up with Module-Manager if people would like that).

And now my SCANsat GUI uses the Lazor style (with the yellow stuff in the corner)...

I really hope this weirdness gets fixed with your next update, Damny...

Like others said its Lazor's (and other mods probably) thingy doing stuff in the GUI, im guessing Damny uses stock code to invoke the interface, in which case the other mods that convert it take precedence ... (some times i feel real weird saying stuff in english lol)

Damny, and anyone experienced making parts - I'm trying to integrate a part I've made into SCANsat so that when I click the activate scanning button it also triggers the antenna extension, and then reverses upon stopping scanning. I can't really see a way of doing this. Any ideas?

If the part is animated, couldn't be possible to call its animate function like normal ? (look for stock animated parts code). Im guessing if you do that, when you activate it it will animate as well as run this mods function (module).

PS: Dont look at me, im having a "Lets keep Guessing" thing going on :blush:

this strikes me as the spiritual successor to ISA-Mapsat, which is nice because ISA has been causing conflicts with a lot of my other mods and their scanning dish has an awful collision mesh. I already downloaded and I'll be giving it a run through the ringer first thing tomorrow morning. here's hoping!

Hmm, why is the Duna Map only Greyscale?

Because you only installed the low-tech Altimeter?

There are 2, one basic greyscale, and one high-tech color altimeter.

Sounds like you need to launch a new mapping sat...