Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I've got something hilarious to share. The apartment I've been in for the past month is for sale - I'm merely renting it in the mean time. No one saw this coming but last week someone decided to buy this place and he didn't even bother haggling. They want me out within six weeks. Looks like I'll be moving again by the end of February. :huh:

Horribly confused at this point. Who wants to bet 0.24 coincides with mid-March?

Doesn't sound very funny to me, best of luck with that stuff.

I expect 0.24 around April, they might do it faster but considering we haven't gotten the planned changes yet I doubt it'll be faster than that. I'm expecting planned changes Tuesday or some other time next week.

Hello there, and good luck with relocation.

I have encountered something that I think is a Remote Tech bug, the one that had been mentioned in this thread previously and not covered by the hotfix. I mean the freezing of Tracking Station screen. It happens every time I switch to any of my Laythe colonies - once I'm back at KSC and click the tracking station, it freezes (UI does not respond, the only way to quit is killing KSP process). After this freeze, the tracking station becomes unusable: it would freeze again after quitting and reloading. But apart from this case, I can not find any way to reproduce it.

The possibly interesting thing about these colonies is that they were establiched before I started using RT. There are some landers, rovers and planes there, some of them have (stock) antennas, which become (as expected) deactivated on load. I have noticed, however, that after I switch to any craft of these colonies, several extra modules appear in persistent.sfs. Again, this is most likely an expected behavior, and some of the modules may not be related to RT, but the save file with this modules freezes at tracking station; here is the diff fragment:

@@ -127152,8 +127178,40 @@
}
MODULE
{
+ name = ModuleSPU
+ isEnabled = True
+ IsRTPowered = True
+ IsRTSignalProcessor = True
+ IsRTCommandStation = False
+ EVENTS
+ {
+ }
+ ACTIONS
+ {
+ }
+ }
+ MODULE
+ {
+ name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
+ isEnabled = True
+ IsRTAntenna = True
+ IsRTActive = True
+ IsRTPowered = True
+ IsRTBroken = False
+ RTDishRadians = 1
+ RTOmniRange = 3000
+ RTDishRange = -1
+ EVENTS
+ {
+ }
+ ACTIONS
+ {
+ }
+ }
+ MODULE
+ {
name = ModuleTripLogger
- isEnabled = False
+ isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}

Another observation: some vessel stats (from that trip logger, apparently) dissappear from the sfs file (it, too, may be not related):

@@ -127162,29 +127220,18 @@
}
Surfaced
{
- at = Laythe
}
Flew
{
- at = Kerbin
- at = Laythe
}
FlewBy
{
- at = Kerbin
- at = Jool
- at = Laythe
}
Orbited
{
- at = Kerbin
- at = Sun
- at = Jool
- at = Laythe
}
SubOrbited
{
- at = Kerbin
}
}

I tried to reproduce this in a new save, but could not. I also tried to find some similar setup in that old save - I have some ships on other planetes that have become uncontrollable - but only Laythe ones cause the issue. Maybe it only happens when three or more vessels are close together; or maybe when there is a crew container that is not a command module (such as hitchhiker's container), I still keep trying to nail it down more specifically. Or maybe there is an infinite loop when a vessel without KSC connection checks nearby vessels within its omni range, but they too have no connection and check the first vessel again.

I've got something hilarious to share. The apartment I've been in for the past month is for sale - I'm merely renting it in the mean time. No one saw this coming but last week someone decided to buy this place and he didn't even bother haggling. They want me out within six weeks. Looks like I'll be moving again by the end of February. :huh:

Horribly confused at this point. Who wants to bet 0.24 coincides with mid-March?

If you lived here in Michigan I'd let you live here for free until you get your feet under you. Sorry you're having so much trouble.

I mean the freezing of Tracking Station screen. It happens every time I switch to any of my Laythe colonies - once I'm back at KSC and click the tracking station, it freezes (UI does not respond, the only way to quit is killing KSP process). After this freeze, the tracking station becomes unusable: it would freeze again after quitting and reloading.

I just started having the same issue. I tried removing RemoteTech and playing for a bit, then putting it back in after I finished my mission, which worked fine (I had to extend the antenna again using EVA on my base when I added RT again, but no big deal). But now that save (which worked fine yesterday) is having the issue again and removing then replacing isn't working.

Here's a couple things which may be related:

I'm using KAS. Only stock omnidirectional and dishes (the first stock dish) are in use on my base, the sats have the 90 Mm dishes and the stock 2.5 Mm omni. The base is located on Bop, which is located within Kerbin's SOI (which is located within Jool's SOI, I'm using Alternis Kerbol). I have sent unmanned probes there without issue, but this started happening after sending a manned mission. I had an unrelated crash originally in another mod (probably, it only happens when I go IVA in Bop's orbit), and now this is happening. Removing the RT .dll fixes the tracking station issues and lets me play. It happens with the hotfix version and the official one.

I'm still trying to figure it out. Otherwise, here are my persistent.sfs, KSP.log, and mod list:

persistent.sfs

KSP.log

mods.txt

Yup, same problem here with the tracking screen freezing. I was switching out the old defunct RT1 probes with new RT2 ones using hyper edit. My furthest probe is in Duna orbit. And I think it happened after switching that one out. Not 100% but I will remove it and check again tomorrow.

As mentioned in the above post, the work-around is to access the map view by launching a vessel. Not ideal, tho. I, too, have the hot fix dll. Any thoughts?

Yesh, that blows. Best of luck finding a new place on that sort of notice.

Hope the new job is at least going well.

How is it that i create a new signal, well it's hard to explain i don't know a word for it. A base that can create it's own signal so i can have a probe at Jool without a 20 minute delay?

How is it that i create a new signal, well it's hard to explain i don't know a word for it. A base that can create it's own signal so i can have a probe at Jool without a 20 minute delay?

You need a ship/vessel/base with 6 Kerbals and the large (2.5m stack) probe core to operate as mobile/remote control centre

Ok, so I'm not sure what went wrong here. I'm going to post an imgur archive hopefully to give some illustration here. But I have a set of 3 Sats in synchronous orbit around kerbin. They are feeding a signal to an array of sats around the Mun. All the sats are exactly the same, they have 2 DTS-M1 arrays that connect the satellite to the next to the chain and also target the active vessel. They also have two 88-88's that connect them to various satellites around Kerbin.

So I have the satellites around Kerbin feeding the Satellites around the Mun, which are supposed to feed into the scanning satellite I'm trying to get into orbit around the Mun. However, it never gets a command connection. In the first image you can see that it is connected to Mission control via the Kerbin sats.

In the second image, it shows that the Scansat ont he way to the Mun is connected to two of the Mun satellites, but somehow not connected to Kerbin. The DTS-M1 is supposed to be targeting the active vessel, so its no longer connected to the Scansat on its way to the Mun in this picture.

The third image is the same as the second, except it is showing the satellite around the Mun is in command connection with Kerbin.

The fourth image, I warped closer to the Mun and the Mun sat clearly has a command connection with Kerbin, and is pointing at the Scansat, but it will not give me control.

What am I doing wrong?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ok, so I'm not sure what went wrong here. I'm going to post an imgur archive hopefully to give some illustration here. But I have a set of 3 Sats in synchronous orbit around kerbin. They are feeding a signal to an array of sats around the Mun. All the sats are exactly the same, they have 2 DTS-M1 arrays that connect the satellite to the next to the chain and also target the active vessel. They also have two 88-88's that connect them to various satellites around Kerbin.

So I have the satellites around Kerbin feeding the Satellites around the Mun, which are supposed to feed into the scanning satellite I'm trying to get into orbit around the Mun. However, it never gets a command connection. In the first image you can see that it is connected to Mission control via the Kerbin sats.

In the second image, it shows that the Scansat ont he way to the Mun is connected to two of the Mun satellites, but somehow not connected to Kerbin. The DTS-M1 is supposed to be targeting the active vessel, so its no longer connected to the Scansat on its way to the Mun in this picture.

The third image is the same as the second, except it is showing the satellite around the Mun is in command connection with Kerbin.

The fourth image, I warped closer to the Mun and the Mun sat clearly has a command connection with Kerbin, and is pointing at the Scansat, but it will not give me control.

What am I doing wrong?

http://imgur.com/a/kj9nm

I would guess that there is a connection that is dependant on the active vessel somewhere. Ensure that your Mun satellites have an uplink even when they are not active (Each of them need a dish pointing at Kerbin and each of your Kerbin sats need a dish at the Mun)

Yeah, definitely getting rid of Active Vessel targeting until there is a mouse-over overview of a satellite on the map. I've tried making that but the stock game made it impossible for me :(. Maybe some day.

Yeah, definitely getting rid of Active Vessel targeting until there is a mouse-over overview of a satellite on the map. I've tried making that but the stock game made it impossible for me :(. Maybe some day.

Noooo active vessel targeting DEFINATELY has a place

Noooo active vessel targeting DEFINATELY has a place

99% of network issues relate to Active Vessel. There needs to be a better way to diagnose such problems before the functionality can remain.

99% of network issues relate to Active Vessel. There needs to be a better way to diagnose such problems before the functionality can remain.

If you fix the new targeting a non-active vessel button then I don't mind removing active vessel, but as long as that doesn't work it'll be a pain to have to switch vessels all the time.

Yeah, definitely getting rid of Active Vessel targeting until there is a mouse-over overview of a satellite on the map.

YES! All this "active vessel" targeting, sat groups and (proposed) autoredundancy shouldn't be there. Those who don't want to design their relay networks may simply cheat/edit some HUGE radius omni antenna for themselves and use it for everything. I just hope that fixing bugs and reintroducing previous features (FC, rover autopilot, target tracking dishes, remote control for sats in physical range) will be a priority when you return to RT development.

I have an idea, The active vessel's function be changed from "Point to vessel directly" to "use whatever satellites available in the vicinities to have connection to the active vessel"

I had a lot of connection problems because of this, example my rover will go behind a planet (e.g. Duna) out of Kerbin's view, despite having a relay sat above which is in range of both kerbin and the rover it will still lose connection, turned out the kerbin sat was pointed to the active vessel. instead of the kerbin sat pointing to the sat above Duna, it pointed to my rover directly, so what I had to do was to go back to kerbin, point to the duna sat, then it was okay.

It's not a big of a problem but that's just my idea, it would save a bunch of vessel jumping

What I'd like to see is a scanning mode, if an antenna or a dish loses the manually set satellite through the gui should start a sweep of the sky above to see if can lock on another satellite, like gps receiver do

What I'd like to see is a scanning mode, if an antenna or a dish loses the manually set satellite through the gui should start a sweep of the sky above to see if can lock on another satellite, like gps receiver do

Yes, that is exactly the proposal some of us have advanced since 0.23 came out. That would only be simulating reality, with a mod like RT2 that takes reality to its finest with KSP.

However, I still can see somebody in love with the idea that, should a connection be lost, no way out should be provided. Let me wish the kraken eats all their "carefully" (??) placed relays, so they'll discover at last that in KSP the issue is not only about good planning. I have never lost a probe since I began using RemoteTech (the only ones lost were launched before I first installed RT, so they weren't fitted for it), so I could easily agree all it takes is to carefully plan your comms network. But that wouldn't be fair, nor right given that KSP is far from perfect. And neither reality is perfect in this regard: things break, and you must have some sort of backup to avoid catastrophic loss. So much, that no probe in reality would be sent to space without a preprogrammed scan mode to be activated, was the main communication link severed.

YES! All this "active vessel" targeting, sat groups and (proposed) autoredundancy shouldn't be there. Those who don't want to design their relay networks may simply cheat/edit some HUGE radius omni antenna for themselves and use it for everything. I just hope that fixing bugs and reintroducing previous features (FC, rover autopilot, target tracking dishes, remote control for sats in physical range) will be a priority when you return to RT development.

And why should these features not be there? Active vessel I understand because it causes a lot of problems, but what is wrong with a satellite list? This has nothing to do with people "who don't want to design their relay networks", that is just common sense: my three Kerbin-Comsats get to target the list of the three Mun-Comsats with one dish and the three Minmus-Comsats with the other dish. Your "my way or the highway" idea would require me to put six dishes on the Kerbin-Comsats for no gain whatsoever.