[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

if you mean something like "crew report" but a probe core report, yes, that's nothing but a thing, but it would require injecting the experiment into the .cfg files of every probe meant to carry it.

Pretty sure it's just considered a different experiment, like Interstellar's magnetosphere detector experiment, or other mods. It's certainly possible for us to do so, but supporting other mods requires people willing to supply definitions for them.

Still doing that whole "new job" thing but found some time today...:

if you mean something like "crew report" but a probe core report, yes, that's nothing but a thing, but it would require injecting the experiment into the .cfg files of every probe meant to carry it.
You make it sound like this is a massive challenge. It would be a simple MM cfg to make. Then just crowd source the logs with you all and viola~ Job done.
Pretty sure it's just considered a different experiment, like Interstellar's magnetosphere detector experiment, or other mods. It's certainly possible for us to do so, but supporting other mods requires people willing to supply definitions for them.

Logs that show up only for a specific probe are problematic, as discussed.

However, logs for mods could be put into a new .cfg that is then downloaded with the mod. The mod owners would then be responsible for properly packaging the mod at each new release, or they could point their users to the latest file.

I am willing to host those files in this thread. If anybody hosting a mod is interested, PM me. If anybody has a mod they'd like to see do this, PM the owner and tell them to PM me the words "I want to crowdsource science logs for my mod." I'm not going to e-mail all the owners of every mod because, well, work.

Additionally, I'm thinking the owners of the mods would be the ones responsible for approving entries for that mod. They could also elect to do it without an approval process (eg, use a freely editable file, like the one this project started with). In either case I would not be responsible for the content.

Would it be possible to have a graph similar to the second one that organizes the reports by planet first, then experiment? That would be more useful to me in determining where to focus.

If it'd take anything more than, say, five minutes to pull off, don't worry about it :)

Done. The actual work took about three minutes. Sorry it took so long to find those three minutes. :)

Just a quick little thing:

If you recently sent in a log for approval, don't resubmit it unless it's been about a week or more since you first sent it. I assure you we get the first copy and if it's not in the log file within the first few days we either haven't approved it yet or it's been removed for various reasons.

Guys, I'll be off for a week or so to deal with some real-life problems. Shall return to proofreading afterwards :)
Sorry I've been gone...again. Internet here is wonkey at best, plus the launch of Starbound sucked up a good chunk of my freetime the last couple days.
Finished my finals and did a good deal of proofing today. :3 Keep those entries coming~

This is why we have more than one mod. :o) You are all doing a fine job of getting to it when you can and I thank you very much for your help.

Any problems with installing this to .23?
I doubt there will be issues, though until it's updated with the new Minmus Biomes you will want to grab that info from the stock file and append them to this modified one.

What s/he said. I'll grab the new biomes sometime this weekend and add them to the submit list.

Please note that the default scienceDefs.cfg in .23 has lowered scienceCap values for most experiments. If you merge the files, it would be nice to get the new values into the shared file as well.

Noted, thanks. Will do 0.23 stuff (including this) on the weekend and post when updated.

Thanks for mentioning that bug. I went through today's approval list and edited all the body-only entries. I just appended "SrfLanded" to all of them, so there's a chance of some messages not going where people intended, but it's better than causing game crashes.

Okay, I've added Minmus's new biomes to the submission form, and the sciencecaps in the crowdsourced file now match those in the 0.23 stock file.

I did not see any entries for the new biomes in the stock file, so haven't added any to the crowdsourced file. This means it's up to YOU FOLKS to write the new entries for Minmus!

(I won't flatter myself by supposing they didn't write any since they knew crowdsourcing would take care of it)

EDIT: Also, congrats everyone. Thanks to your help, there are now over 2,000 entries -- we've more than quadrupled the amount in the original file.

Edited by codepants

• 2 weeks later...

I've read through the entire thread up to now, and there is one pressing question I do have to ask before contributing.

Which English is the one being used? I'm Canadian, so I use the Canadian spellings and idioms (e.g. "colour", "neighbour", "centre", "realise", "travelled", "controllable", "going to college" is not the same as "going to university", my final exams were supervised by an "invigilator" not a "proctor", metric is the preferred measurement system...), as opposed to the American, or British spellings (yes, Canadian English spellings are much like the British ones, but some of them are close to the American ones; e.g. we use "tire" and "gasoline" instead of "tyre" and "petrol", but use "cheque" instead of "check"). Canadian spelling seems to get everyone confused, and melts the faces off of both British and American proofreaders.

I ask as mixing the various styles of English can result in some odd dissonances if you have one message pop up in American spelling, and another show up in British spelling.

Is there any chance of a more serious version coming out?

Honestly, KSP left the realm of 'whackiness' a long time ago. The only things that are still references to that are the part descriptions for the original parts, ie: the 'trash can full o boom' for the SRB.

Getting EVA reports of 'WHEEEEE' and thinking of potatoes kind of ruin the immersion.