[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

Sorry to double post. As a suggestion to the OP, would it be possible to graph the number of lines relevent to each experiement, and each situation, so that we know where to focus our efforts in writting new lines?

most of these kids probably use this language daily. If you don't like whats on there then delete it...

This was an innovative idea here at the beginning but because of a little profanity the OP goes back and decides to punish everyone that has been working on this collaboration...

My response is basically what Kit wrote.

That's not really what it's about for me. I don't find profanity particularly funny or clever, and I certainly don't think it has any place in the KSP universe. There's a time and a place for everything, but really I don't see any reason for there to be profanity in this particular game. It's nothing about children--heck, they'd find it entertaining I'd bet. I'm an adult and I just don't want to see it.

I mispoke when I said I was changing things because "kids play this game." You're right, they do use this language every day, and Kit is probably right, they'd find it entertaining. I used it when I was a kid. But when people watch World War Z they expect language like that (I use this movie specifically because someone commented with it in the file). One of the things I like about this game is that it can be a good game without the need for kerbals to jack off or eat each other's ****. I like that I can play a game and have it be a good game and not have to expect the kerbals to cuss each other out. I like that the focus is on being a fairly realistic physics simulator with characters who are funny and love-able because they are genuine, not because they are dirty. And I think a lot of other people do too.

I don't see this as a defining factor in this debate, but as far as easter eggs go, some people want to find them on their own with as few hints as possible.

Well if someone else has the time, please set up a google doc where we can all work on it again. Oh and maybe create 2 documents, one where you can write anything and another where it is filtered out. Another option would just be to use kyles list as the kid friendly list.

As a courtesy I have re-opened the original file for editing. I will still be maintaining the "clean" file but if it means that much to you, I don't have a problem with having a separate, unfiltered file. To each his or her own.

Sorry to double post. As a suggestion to the OP, would it be possible to graph the number of lines relevent to each experiment, and each situation, so that we know where to focus our efforts in writting new lines?

It's definitely possible. I'll see what I can do. This will have to be coded though, as I don't want to go in once a day and count 2,000 lines of logs.

That being said, it should be easy code, but implementing the new system is my first priority.

- - -

Everybody happy?

Edited by codepants

Quibbling aside, for anyone who just wants a gamedata file which will overwrite the stock sciencelogs, no having to open files, the latest version as of the eighth of November is available Here, just copy and paste it in.

Awesome, thanks.

Update on the new version:

Done with the core coding. Just adding extras -- namely, code that updates the line counting chart (at the bottom of the first post) automatically. This will also include counts of lines for each of the experiments/in each of the biomes as codepoet requested.

50+ responses awaiting moderation. I'm glad to see people are still interested.

how did the lines in the file go DOWN.

My guess is all the crap at the top got removed. EG, the instructions, the white space, what-not. Although, it's also possible that's just moderation of the inappropriate ones -- it didn't go down by much.

Whoever put "You wonder if Twist and Pull are around here somewhere?" you are my new favorite person.

EDIT: Just added a new chart. That's the most I want to break the data into. I thought about doing it by biome instead of by celestial body, but even just by celestial body, there's already SO MANY CATEGORIES...

Edited by codepants

Some of these are good, but a lot of them don't really fit the nature of the game.

Like direct quotes or paraphrases "scotty, lets go to warp", referencing planets or constellations from our solar system/planet "jupiter", "big dipper", use of other alphabets/codes, such as morse code, does that mean you would be okay with people writing english messages in greek? I wouldn't. References to the game itself "days playing KSP". References to previous missions which may have never happened in your career mode "As you look through the logs of missions past". Also glitchy text seems to appear very often, none of the stock messages are like that as far as I recall, and it bothers me to have it in this.

Edited by Chase

Some of these are good, but a lot of them I don't really fit the nature of the game.

Like direct quotes or paraphrases "scotty, lets go to warp", referencing planets or constellations from our solar system/planet "jupiter", "big dipper", use of other alphabets/codes, such as morse code, does that mean you would be okay with people writing english messages in greek? I wouldn't. References to the game itself "days playing KSP". References to previous missions which may have never happened in your career mode "As you look through the logs of missions past". Also glitchy text seems to appear very often, none of the stock messages are like that as far as I recall, and it bothers me to have it in this.

Have to agree with everything you said here.

Some of these are good, but a lot of them I don't really fit the nature of the game.

These should all be removed by the end of the day tomorrow. Right now my main focus is on getting the new system up and running, and debugging is proving to be a pain (Google Docs is really slow with large text files). But I hear you; give me some time, and you'll see those changes made. Thanks for your input.

If there is anything in specific that you would like changed, please comment on it. That would be a big help to me; otherwise, it's just my best judgement.

Edited by codepants

When I get further into the game I should have about 430 entries I'll be adding that fully mesh with squad's style and what was intended. But I'm not going to rush as I don't want to spoil parts of the game I haven't fully explored yet. So don't worry on a day to day about content creation not exploding.

Great work so far! Note: the submission form misses quite some mask entries (ex. EveInSpaceHigh + Low, general "InSpace" etc). Instead of listing them all, how about creating three separate dropdowns that create the location string by concatenation: first: CelestialBody, Second: Biome (empty for most bodies, could be integrated into the first dropdown), third: Situation (empty/Landed/Splashed/FlyingLow/FlyingHigh/InSpaceLow/InSpaceHigh)

also, found an issue with the mobile materials lab section: I was in high Sun orbit and high / low Eve orbit, and repeated materials experiments always got the "would be fun to paint rockets with this" message, regardless of how often i repeated it. Maybe there is a syntax error in that section?

Great work so far! Note: the submission form misses quite some mask entries (ex. EveInSpaceHigh + Low, general "InSpace" etc). Instead of listing them all, how about creating three separate dropdowns that create the location string by concatenation: first: CelestialBody, Second: Biome (empty for most bodies, could be integrated into the first dropdown), third: Situation (empty/Landed/Splashed/FlyingLow/FlyingHigh/InSpaceLow/InSpaceHigh)

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work. We already have a few "fake" biomes for SunSrfLanded and JoolSrfLanded, so I can't imagine what people would come up with if we did a mix-and-match for everything. Also, I spent all yesterday coding, so I need a break. :)

If you want to PM me a list of the ones we're missing though, I'd be happy to add them. FYI, I am not sure if all the bodies have low/high in space, as I copied only the biomes I found in the original file. It's possible I missed a few, or it's possible if we type them, they will magically work, but I don't want people submitting things that won't get used (unless it's obvious, like Sun/JoolSrfLanded).

also, found an issue with the mobile materials lab section: I was in high Sun orbit and high / low Eve orbit, and repeated materials experiments always got the "would be fun to paint rockets with this" message, regardless of how often i repeated it. Maybe there is a syntax error in that section?

That I am going to have to throw my hands up over, as the "fun to paint rockets" log is for MinmusInSpace. There are very few for the mobile materials lab around the Sun and Eve, so you know, add more? But in all honesty, I have no clue. If it continues, might be worth a message to squad.

Am I the only one that this does not work for? Still gives me just the first line every time...

Try the second method of downloaded as .txt and renaming to .cfg. Then open with notepad and see what all is there. If that doesn't work, PM me, and I'll link to a download of the actual file.

Ok i think i know what was happening. I still had the old ScienceDefs config file in the folder, just renamed to "ScienceDefs - Copy.cfg". I think the game was still pulling all the info from that one. After deleting that file, i now have all the community goodness in there! MoffKalast, you might have the same problem there. Try if it works out by deleting your old original backup file of the ScienceDef.cfg, or move it somewhere outside of your KSP install.

Yeah I did that. Just seems like I get same message. I'm starting to newer ones not much. One was a crew report in orbit about crew reading a book, lol. It seems like if I run like a goo container one, and transmit, right after I do another it comes up with same message.

Should work by swapping the file I think. Make sure to back-up the original file just in case.

It seems like if I run like a goo container one, and transmit, right after I do another it comes up with same message.

Yea, I've noticed that. I'm not sure why that is. It seems possible that the code (Squad's code) might select one at random and use the same one until you change biomes/celestial bodies.

If you want to PM me a list of the ones we're missing though, I'd be happy to add them. FYI, I am not sure if all the bodies have low/high in space, as I copied only the biomes I found in the original file.

I am quite sure there is a high/low space for each celestial, the devs just did not include individual messages for them for most experiments, and combined them in the more general "InSpace" situation. However, if someone wants to do different messages for high and low space, it should be on the list. Also, the general "CelestialBodyName" Location without situation filters is used in some experiments in the original file, so this should be included as well to allow a message pool that is used anywhere in the bodies SOI if no more specific entries are found. Here you go, these are the missing entries

Mun

MunInSpace

MunInSpaceHigh

MunInSpaceLow

Minmus

MinmusInSpaceHigh

MinmusInSpaceLow

Moho

MohoInSpaceHigh

MohoInSpaceLow

Eve

EveFlyingHigh

EveInSpaceHigh

EveInSpaceLow

Gilly

GillyInSpaceHigh

GillyInSpaceLow

Duna

DunaInSpaceHigh

DunaInSpaceLow

Ike

IkeInSpaceHigh

IkeInSpaceLow

Dres

DresInSpaceHigh

DresInSpaceLow

Jool

JoolInSpaceHigh

JoolInSpaceLow

Laythe

LaytheFlyingHigh

LaytheInSpaceHigh

LaytheInSpaceLow

Vall

VallInSpaceHigh

VAllInSpaceLow

Tylo

TyloInSpaceHigh

TyloInSpaceLow

Bop

BopInSpaceHigh

BopInSpaceLow

Pol

PolInSpaceHigh

PolInSpaceLow

Eeloo

EelooInSpaceHigh

EelooInSpaceLow

LOVE this idea! I'l play with it for a while and then submit some entries. Though it looks like you have a LOT already.

We can always use more! Especially for those experiments that have been neglected -- check the bottom of the first post.

Here you go, these are the missing entries...

I hate you.

- - -

EDIT: Just update the line chart to be the number of logs instead of the number of lines (the computer did the counting, don't worry). There were only 482 logs to start, but in other news, we've almost tripled that.

(as an aside in order to maintain my integrity as a statistician, the numbers are only exact from today onward; historical data are calculated approximations)

Edited by codepants