Do you use ION engines?

OptiSTR

ION Engines, yes? no?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. ION Engines, yes? no?

I ran a manned mission to Moho yesterday, and used this as upper stage on the return vehicle:

5fBcrGw.png

Over 5000m/s delta-V in a package light enough for a single LV-909 to lift from Moho's surface.

Ion engines are useful.

Burn times tend to be long, solution is to cut everything not needed for the mission, Ion engines are prefect for an Moho probe mission as you do most of the burn close to the sun.

Once put an probe in an 5 km orbit around the sun, nuclear to lover Pe, ion to circulate.

Used in my grand tour trip to Moho, my only manned Ion ship, named it solar rider :)

UzJfA0A.png

Always use the small solar panels on ion crafts. They have far more power / kg than the large ones.

The large is nice for huge ship where some hunded kg extra weight don't matter and you need lots of power.

An added benefit / exploit is that the small panels don't cast shadow on each other.

Edited by magnemoe

No. Not even for satellites. To burn continuously at full power you have to put so much batteries and power sources, it eats significantly into payload weight.

This is exactly why I don't use them. A small probe with a small ion engine should not need a 4k battery and three Gigantors to power the engine... yet that setup is only sufficient for a few seconds' thrust - which is negligible.

This is exactly why I don't use them. A small probe with a small ion engine should not need a 4k battery and three Gigantors to power the engine... yet that setup is only sufficient for a few seconds' thrust - which is negligible.

It's a good job the stock ion engine only needs 1 Gigantor at Kerbin to run at full throttle, and 2 Gigantors way out at Jool then isn't it?

Ok, who voted WTF is Ion engines.

Back on topic. I personally do, yes they have long burn times, yes they require extra equipment, but that's what I like about them, I like having complex sub-systems on a spacecraft for me to manage, that's why you might not be surprised to hear I play with TAC life support installed, that being said, they do need a slight ISP or thrust increase, or a mass decrease for power parts, or a tiny nuclear reactor.

I ran a manned mission to Moho yesterday, and used this as upper stage on the return vehicle:

Snip

Over 5000m/s delta-V in a package light enough for a single LV-909 to lift from Moho's surface.

Ion engines are useful.

what was the burn time on that?

what was the burn time on that?

Over an hour of game time. I think about 17 minutes of 4x phys warp. It accelerated faster than the LV-N powered monstrosity that I used to haul the lander down to Moho in the first place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.