"Go ahead and drop the boosters."

Whackjob

Not quite as big, but I had a nice cluster earlier... I finally got the hang of launching enough fuel for a trip to, and back from the Mun, and it involved a pretty menacing looking cluster of 8 boosters... 6 fired off simultaneously at launch, and the remaining 2 pulled the craft into orbit...

nowhere near as menacing as yours, but I thought it looked pretty cool with the limited tech tree that I have so far :)

screenshot11_zps0867dfcc.png

This is a Whackjob booster. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with struts. This item menaces with spikes of engine clusters.

On the item is an image of Whackjob striking a menacing pose. The Kerbals are making a plaintive gesture.

Whackjob did it again! :D

Can't wait to see where this will lead...

This is a Whackjob booster. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with struts. This item menaces with spikes of engine clusters.

On the item is an image of Whackjob striking a menacing pose. The Kerbals are making a plaintive gesture.

This item commemorates the victory of struts over physics in Autumn 162.

You could look into Ferram's Kerbal Joint Re-enforcement if you wanted to go bigger with less struts. But I'm sure it would kill the sport...

No pictures of the actual craft segment for the moment. Still a WIP and subject to drastic changes. But yes. Segment. I'm building in orbit this time around. Those boosters are helping lift what I expect to be about one seventh of the actual craft.

I must ask, What are the specs of your Divine machine to allow you to run such monstrosities?

My CPU would cry white hot tears of firey molten death at the thought of these ships.

Processor: Intel® Core2 Extreme CPU Q9300 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

I should probably just put that into my sig haha.

Edited by Whackjob

I must ask, What are the specs of your Divine machine to allow you to run such monstrosities?

My CPU would cry white hot tears of firey molten death at the thought of these ships.

You don't need an uber computer to build massive craft in KSP. As long as the max delta v time slider in the options menu is all the way to the right, big craft just make your computer run slower.

The main challenge is having the patience to test your craft when it takes so long (in real time) to perform each test-launch. It's quite frustrating when you get 20 minutes through the launch before the rocket fails. Add a few more struts, and then wait 20 minutes to see if it fails again in the same portion of the flight. Due to the complexity of bigger rockets, they take more launches as well to get things right, so it can turn into a very time-consuming process.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.